Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

We might still get Regis though right?

Seems pretty likely, we've already got a second season and probably a third?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I finally finished all eight episodes, and this really seems like it's a show that has really suffered where it's differentiated from the source material. I don't fault them much for the intertwining timelines, and some of the stuff that they've added is cheesy but forgivable eels, ear worms, Nilfgaard being overtly evil, but they really butchered some of the nuances and interesting bits of story from the book beyond what really seems like it would have been necessary for adapting the story to the medium. Given Netflix's history I'm sure the show will be cancelled before it runs out of source material, but I can only imagine how bad it'd be if they ever managed.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I figured I'd hate the anime because it looked like it was going to be a bunch of dragonball z hopping and yelling and energy blasts but it was pleasantly diverting. It's a fun setting and it gets out from under the janky job the live action show did with translating the books.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I was hoping they weren't going to step all over "A Grain of Truth" too much, but alas. I guess they couldn't do the whole thing a flashback or in season one.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Kaedric posted:

Oh, that was the last episode .....

Welp that was a bit of a wet fart.

??? What was this based on?

Outside of Fringilla stealing the Hearts of Stone spoon in the eyeball trick, all we're really left with is Ciri being possessed by a SPOOOOKY DEMON. If they fast forward the plot and make all of her actions when she was with the rats as her being 'evil' just because she had a demon in her this will be the lamest poo poo on earth.

I haven't watched any of the new episodes yet, but the demon stuff is kind of already in the books, no? Ciri goes into traces and says all sorts of menacing stuff in different voices and it's never really made clear what that was. It seems like a more reasonable shift to make it more overt than a lot of the stuff they did in s1

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

In the books she's not really possessed by a Demon, per se. It's more of a Greek oracle situation where Ithlinne's Prophecy gets invoked as events fall into place in order for the prophecy to come to fruition.

It's left unclear what it is, but the whole bit with Triss investigating Ciri's powers in Blood of Elves pretty strongly implies something is trying to possess her, and Triss isn't strong enough to deal with it. I don't know that they clearly ever answer what it was.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I don't think the books are sacrosanct or that the adaptation really needs to follow that closely, but it's maddening how often they're getting rid of or mangling the best parts of them without a lot of payoff.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

It's left vague but the games do touch on the other schools. Most of them were also hit by pogroms or just died out over time due to lack of work and witchers getting wrecked by monsters. In particular, the Schools of the Cat and the Viper were definitely attacked and destroyed with only a few survivors, while the Bear school seems to have just withered. The Griffin and Manticore schools are pretty rare and unknown even in the text excerpts from the games.

CDPR farmed out the license for a tabletop game, they're developing what's supposed to be shared backstory- and it seems like most of what they've done is with Griffin and Manticore. They just released a thing on Manticore;

https://rtalsoriangames.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/RTG-WI-ManticoreSchoolv1.02.pdf

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Honestly I doubt it went like that. Whenever big changes like that happen in adaptations it's very rare for it to be done intentionally to piss off fans. It's usually done for the much more common reason of people being really really dumb and not being able to read a room. Cruelty often requires intent and it's more likely the creative decision to kill off Eskel came out of a misguided need to create a dramatic hook for an episode than out of any malicious intent.

Yeah I don't think they are motivated by hostility towards the fans, or even that a lack of reverence towards their source material is really in itself a problem. The issue is more that they did a bad job. They had easy paths to a straight adaptation, or a goofy, funny likeable adult Hercules reboot and they kind of just hosed around and made something that doesn't really succeed at much of anything and is at best acceptable content for the content machine.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I can buy a scenario where Cavill is a weird poorly behaved freak, but this also seems like it's a very cynical response to the heat they're taking over him leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I think killing Eskel was a minor sin all things considered. You're adapting the books, and his role there was "ugly" and "nicer to Triss than Lambert". I get that it's a shorthand for a major change breaking away from the books, but I think the real violence was done to the short stories in a way that was basically entirely gratuitous from episode one. I'd be fine with them making changes to the later seasons, but early on they had an easy layup and just bricked it for no real reason.