Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I keep waffling between effort posting far too much, or posting far too little. So I'm going to let Netflix's marketing speak for itself for the most part. I basically don't trust myself not to accidentally spill any beans if I start describing the setting or characters too much. A second season OP will be easier to contend with!

The Witcher is an adaptation of a Polish series of fantasy novels, which have already spawned a failed TV series and an incredibly successful trilogy of games. Netflix's outing will be focusing on specifically the books, though we can probably expect some nods to the games as well, especially aesthetically-- though this franchise is pretty consistent across all forms of media already.

The Witcher owns. Especially the books. I've been looking forward to this for a very long time! Henry Cavill is a big Witcher nerd and is very nice to look at!

Also, Yen is best girl and if you disagree then we shall have to fight to the death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb90gqGYP9c

Geralt of Rivia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LiD3i9DS_c

Yennefer of Vengerberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZDPuYeQQNM

Ciri of Cintra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQPxD-GbF2c

I'm warning everyone, here and now, that I refuse to call Dandelion Jaskier. I will forever refer to him as Dandelion whilst discussing this streaming television program. Just keep this in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Do make sure to keep the usual Netflix streaming rules for spoilers in mind, and do not post any book spoilers in this thread without properly tagging them as book spoilers, and if you can from which book the spoiler originates. I expect the show to make a good amount of changes, especially to the timeline, but who knows how much the series will line up. Same goes for any game spoilers that would be relevant to this point of time in the story, or spoil anything by nature of the games being (non-canon technically) sequels.

Anyway, let's just be courteous to those who are unfamiliar with either the books or games. Thanks bbs.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I expect the season to basically take the best short stories from the first two books, throw in some connective tissue (and background stuff for Yen) for the main series plot line, and end us right about where the second season can just be the third book.

Hype af to see how they handle The Last Wish goddamnit

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

stev posted:

I really hope this is good. The trailers lean really hard on the overarching Ciri stuff, but I hope we get a decent amount of time dedicated to individual Geralt adventures. The short stories are some of the best stuff from the books, it would be a shame to skip through too much of it.

:yeah:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vilgefartz posted:

I can't wait for this shiz, ive read all the books multiple times and played the games to death. This probably wont be exactly what i want from a witcher show but im pretty god drat keen regardless. Ive heard they're gonna dump the lot on the 20th, so if true its gonna be am interesting night.

Good username for this thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really do wonder how they'll handle Triss. Maybe the show will make Triss lovers who have only played the games see the light ...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Who would y'all like to see as Letho? Bautista would probably be awesome but he might be too famous now to take the role. Who else would be a good meat mountain?

Sadly Letho, and the entire Viper school, do not exist in the books! It's unlikely we'll see him. But I'm honestly super into them bringing in some of the game only characters, it would be lit.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Much better than the alternative, imo. Hexer always sounded weird.

And makes me want to play Hexen. Which is a good thing tbf.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gedt posted:

Anyone knows around what time Netflix'll drop it?

Midnight PST.

e: fb

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I’m really looking forward to it, but I stand by the fact that Henry Cavill looks too young and fresh faced. Geralt always struck me as looking like early to mid 40’s or at least with the skin of someone who worked outside in the elements for decades.

I think a beard would go a long way. I mean, they edited out his mustache for Batman V Superman. Could they just edit in a beard??

Geralt hates beards. Like really hates them.

Geralt is supposed to look rather young, anyway. Not as young as the sorceresses tend to glamour, but the books kind of fluctuate between him being a hosed up rugged dude and so hot that women swoon over him just walking past him in the street.

Cavill's nearly 40, anyway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JBP posted:

I'm enjoying this I like the ott crazy English batman voice.

same

geralt is very melodramatic for a man who pretends he doesn't feel anything

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really love the intense-rear end eyes Geralt, Yen and Ciri have. Not enough fantasy adaptations lean into the ridiculous eye colours and poo poo, and I appreciate it very much here.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

1stGear posted:

Cavill does seem super stiff. When he's giving his little "Evil is evil" speech to Stregobor, he turns like he can't bend his waist.

I also find it amusing the line the show is trying to ride the line between being based on the books and existing because the games were popular. The Wild Hunt just got namedropped for no good reason.

They exist in the books as well. Thought they don't get mentioned much until later in the saga.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

1stGear posted:

Oh, I'm aware. But like you said, they're not a thing for a while and mentioning them so early just seems like an intentional reference than an organic bit of world-building.

Yeah, that's fair tbh.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm really enjoying this Renfri.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I expect Geralt to show more of his personality the more he meets his future friends.

Hell, he's already opening up [E1] talking to his BFF Roach!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yo the ending of ep one was rad as gently caress. Butcher of Blaviken indeed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dandelion's casting proves to be :discourse:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A key thing about the books after the short story collections, they're really Ciri's story. Once the saga proper starts in book 3, it's a relatively even split between Geralt/Yen/Ciri. Or random tangents with other characters to flesh things out.

Also episode two owns.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JBP posted:

The books don't really feel bound to follow nothing but Geralt. I'm glad they're happy to do stretches with other characters.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

(E2) Changing Yennefer's bit of elven blood from her mother to her father is a bit random. Maybe to make him seem less cruel than if he were selling his biological daughter? nbd but it caught my attention more than the other small changes to how she ends up with the sorceresses.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only thing really throwing me off is some of the timeline. But maybe they'll reveal a certain storyline is indeed in the past as it should be.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

v good my question was just answered

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kaedric posted:

ep3 Lol pronouncing it the temple of 'melly telly'. Again not a huge fan of Yen's story here, they decided to go from subtlety (hey, sometimes working with magic has side effects, such as Yen's infertility) to 'hey let's literally remove her entire uterus on camera'.

Yeah (E3) they made a couple weird changes, most of them didn't bother me or make any difference at all (like changing how she ended up with the sorceresses in the first place, or making her elven blood come from some missing father instead of her mother's side, bla bla), but the literal removal of her uterus was a bit much lmao. Otherwise that scene was great, and I loved them cutting it with the striga fight.

I'm enjoying Anya as Yen so far, but I'm reserving full judgment til we see The Last Wish tbh.

On casting, I'm loving everyone so far. Dandelion is a standout fo sho. Triss is the only one I'm iffy on, and honestly just because she looks old compared to Yen. The actress was fine tho with what I've seen of her so far.

e: further E3 thoughts: Having them remove her uterus during the glamour/magic surgery scene kind of ruins the sacrifice of her fertility, t b h. The infertility in the books come from the use of magic, and not all mages are infertile. Some very important characters are born of sorceresses.

I guess it means we won't get a storyline in the future about (general book stuff) Yennefer's continued quest to find ways to fix her infertility, b/c motherhood is lowkey important to her, if she doesn't have a uterus lmbo.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Dec 20, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CJ posted:

Do the episodes adapt The Last Wish? If so what episode is which story?

From the cute lil hints they released with the episode titles, The Last Wish will be episode 5.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pretty much all of it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't know how ya'll didn't pick up on the timeline shenanigans by episode 1 with Renfrie talking about Calanthe just recently winning her first battle a few scenes after that event was mentioned to Ciri by her grandmother

Yeah. I'm on episode 4 atm and from what I can tell Ciri would be the 'present'. Geralt's story so far has been in the past. Yen even further in the past. Otherwise it's happening chronologically for each individual person.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Calanthe is high camp and I love her for it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Calanthe gna Calanthe.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They did up The Last Wish quite well i m h o

I'm really enjoying Anya Chalotra's Yennefer.

e: lmao e6 is The Bounds of Reason. Excellent.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 20, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kaedric posted:

Wow, really surprised they put in (ep6): Villentrentenmerth. That owns.

But... seriously... what the gently caress are they doing with Cahir and Fringilla. Really giving me big frowny face time.

I feel like they amped up (related to your second spoiler) Cahir as a way to kind of emulate the terrifying way CIri would remember these events in the books. I'm not a fan of it rly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Going to leave episodes 7 and 8 for tomorrow, but this poo poo is good. It has a few weird to bad choices, but overall is a solid af adaptation with great casting.

Henry Cavill needs a better wig tho.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's hella good! Excited to knock out the last two episodes tonight.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only thing throwing me off about casting is Triss looking older than Yen. Yen I was a bit concerned about at first, but I am loving her take on the character. Seeing her play off of Cavill's Geralt sealed the deal for me. Casting all around is so drat good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arglebargle III posted:

Color contacts are always a mistake and especially in HD. Give the audience the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah so Ciri's actress doesn't have green eyes and Henry Cavill isn't a cat. CGI it in or give up, the contacts always look bad.

In the promo video for the showrunner who was like, "Is it crazy to start all three of these stories at once?" the answer was yes. The show is a lot weaker for jumping around.

I'm all for the colour contacts. I wish fantasy adaptations would lean into that kind of stuff more often. It's a breath of fresh air to me, even if Yen's look a bit off sometimes. I'd rather have it than not.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As for how they tell the stories, it's a bit off at first but I really came around to it. Especially once they all start catching up to eachother. The saga as a whole once you pass the short story collections is basically Ciri's story, with Geralt and Yen as the other leads. They throw enough lines of dialogue into each episode to let you know this stuff is not happening concurrently, and they don't treat it like some twist or big reveal, which probably helps a lot.

It's probably the best way they could have done it without sidelining both Yen and Ciri for the vast majority of this season. And I personally like the little tweaks and additions they did to flesh out some of the backstory stuff for Yen and Ciri, as they really aren't touched on a lot in the books and are mostly learned through the POV characters reflecting on it.

The real downside to this is (spoilers up to episode 7, and full book spoilers) is how they're painting Cahir early on. I can't tell if they intended to change the character so much so his face turn later is more dramatic, or if they painted him so insanely evil as a means of conveying how loving scary those memories are for Ciri in the book. That poo poo haunts her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Also, Lol that Sabrina basically gave up her uterus in exchange for nice tits

lmao.

(E3, 5, 6) That's honestly the one change that really drove me mental, the literal removal of the uterus during the glamouring. Being fertile or infertile as a mage has nothing to do with whether you glamour. Hell, not all mages are infertile! It also just felt weird to then continue on with Yen's quest to fix her fertility when she doesn't even have a uterus in the first place. Is a dragon heart going to conjure a new one up for her? A djinn could wish her a new one I guess but lmfao. IDK. It was a bit too on the nose. And could raise weird questions if this show runs long enough to learn about some very important parentage for some characters born of mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

They've already mentioned the Wild Hunt so I'd say yes.

Yeah. The origins of the peoples and creatures who inhabit the Continent is not super relevant to the story in general, but when it comes to elves in particular I imagine it will be properly touched on if the series lasts long enough.