Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Exodus1984 posted:

Posting in this subforum for one of the first times, because I am quite sad. Had to put my dog (Cooper) to sleep suddenly on Sunday. More likely than not cancer. Cooper would have been 10 in April, and we had him since he was about 3 months old. A force of nature, Cooper's only fear was the low battery of a smoke alarm. A lover of ice cream, peanut butter, tennis balls, and carrots. Present for countless life events, good and bad, great with my two toddlers, always up for car ride or walk. Smart, playful, and kind with a menacing bark which was the definition of all bark and no bite. The only time he ever became aggressive in his 9 3/4 short years was about 3 months ago when a larger dog approached my daughters, and I was proud of him for it - he loved them so much. He was a good boy.

Above all else, even though it has only been a few days, there are so many things I miss about him: standing in the doorway, sitting on a couch, his nails tapping the floor and his collar jingling as he walks through a room, patting him on the head, and the loud and dramatic sigh he would make when he plopped down next to me at the end of the day after I put the kids to bed. My family is lucky to have had him in our lives. I miss him and always will.

Cooper gets an 11/10 from me. What a king's fate for such a wonderful dog, to not just be adopted by loving owners but considered a true and valued member of the family. He left this world having known nothing but love, comfort and joy. You could not have done better by him <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

What a wonderful story. Thank you for answering Mia's call and showing her a long life full of love, care and affection

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Top Gun Reference posted:

Sorry for the 5 billion words. I could write 5 billion more. I just wanted to tell his story and scream from the rooftops how much I loved and adored this dog. I’d also like to say that I read every single story in this thread from start to finish. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in these feelings. His passing leaves a gaping hole in my heart, and the world, but I know he had a good life and brought immense joy to me and everyone he met. I love you so much, buddy.

Thank you so much for telling Radar's story and for telling it so well. I cannot tell you how sorry I am that this happened so suddenly and far before either of you were ready, but thanks to you Radar went out of his world far happier than he was when he came into it, and you rescued him from a lovely start in order to give him a perfect middle and end. He died surrounded by your love, as he will be forever now.

I hope you're okay and have people you can talk to about your experiences; being with a pet as they're euthanised is deeply traumatic and deserves to be taken seriously.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

This one really got me, the love you had for Rocket and sorrow you feel at his untimely passing really came off the page. I could not possibly be more sorry for you and everyone else who ever knew and loved Rocket. Under such impossible circumstances and facing such an awful choice I can honestly say I would have done exactly the same.

I really hope you can at least hold your head up knowing he left this world exactly as loved as he was when he came in, and that you did everything possible.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

God speed, Pippin. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I occasionally dream about the pets that I lost over the years, in many ways it's how we stay together. Your post reminded me of one of my favourite Calvin and Hobbes comics, which Watterson wrote after losing his cat, Sprite. I always share it with my friends who have lost their beloved pet: