Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

RubberLuffy posted:

This morning I said goodbye to Milo, my dachshund who I've had since December 2005. He was just 2 months shy of his 17th birthday.

He was walking around last night but this morning he was just...done. He was ready but I wasn't because this just came up really fast. He'd been going downhill pretty slowly the past few weeks but today it just hit him all at once and that was that. I made a vet appointment for 10:45am and called into work.

He's been gone since around 11:20 or so. It's been 2 hours. My heart is broken and I don't know what to do. I've had him since I was 19. Now I have to adjust to life without him.

I'm so sorry. This one really hit me in the gut. I lost my almost-16-year-old dachshund Stephen on St. Patrick's Day after his cancer spread to his spine. He was living with his cancer pretty much normally and seemingly pain-free one day (there wasn't much we could do to treat it without basically killing him anyway with chemo and everything, because he was an old man); the next day he was in pain and couldn't walk, and I had to say goodbye. It was one of the worst days of my life. He was the first pet I got by myself as an adult, my only roommate for years, and just ... I know it sounds so stupid ... my baby.

I'm sorry for your loss. He looked like a sweet, blind little old man, just like my Stephen. Honestly, the only thing that took my mind off the loss was spending time with the dog my mom adopted just after Stephen died. She helped heal me.

Here's my little wiener with his favorite toy a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
A fine bunch of sausages in this thread. I think most dachshunds are stubborn jerks, but it's part of their charm.

Sorry for the losses of Angus and Sherlock.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
What a sweet little face she had, and a nice long life. I'm sorry for your loss.

I hope Jack is OK.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry
I'm sorry that you had to say goodbye. He was an absolutely beautiful boy (I love brindled dogs), and seemed like a wonderful buddy to have. I love how he and Mocha matched. :) I'm glad writing your thoughts out helped, and I hope you can take comfort in the fact that you provided him with a loving home and made him a happy boy.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

Kibayasu posted:

My parents had to put their (mostly Lab) 14 year old Labradoodle Jude to sleep this morning. It was a tough decision because despite more than a few health issues Jude was still as perky as his age allowed him to be, he never skipped a meal and even if his hind legs couldn't take him very far he always wanted to go. Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago Jude had a nose bleed and an X-ray found a cancer in his nose that was clearly progressing. Parents hoped it would be a bit slower than it turned out but this morning he had a even bigger nosebleed than the first. Thankfully that stopped on its own but only after a scarily long time and a lot of towels. At the very least it allowed any panic to subside and Jude could calm down and get cleaned up. Me and my brother - we knew Jude quite well too - met them at the vet and it was decided that despite his personality his best days were very near their end. The last thing we wanted to happen was another nosebleed to happen, and another was going to happen, in the middle of the night and that time it didn't stop.

The vet had a jar full of treats and we all got to give him a bunch before he left.

Happy days (pictures via my mom):

Watching the driveway get rebuilt during a reno

Where did you get that its too big

Tuckered out

Snow! Attack!

Okay I guess this snow is cool

He was a gentle and timid dog but not a scaredy cat, he let most things just happen around him, never too bothered by anything whether it was new people, new dogs, fireworks, construction, new surroundings, car rides, whatever, as long as he's fed.

Good dog.

Jude had the most amazing eyebrows. I'm sorry for your loss.

And Fozzy, I'm so sorry about your beautiful girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

Away all Goats posted:

Is it normal to beat myself up over this? I never got to do so many things with him, like let him swim in the ocean, go to a different country, let him try more foods. Meet more dogs and people. Feels like all I can do is focus on the negatives or the 'what if's rather than appreciate the time we did have. It feels especially worse because I feel like in the later years of his life we settled into a routine of just a regular walk in the neighborhood. No exploring new trails, no travels, ran out of activities I could think of to do with a 95lb dog. And that upsets me, because it makes me think I got complacent and took him for granted- that he was always going to be there. Because for 11 years he was always there. Right by my side. And it felt like it was going to be like that forever. And now he's not.

That is a beautiful boy and I'm sorry he's gone.

It's very normal to beat yourself up and regret all the things you could have done with him. But I guess I would put it this way: You know about swimming in the ocean, traveling, giving him different foods, but he didn't know those things existed and didn't long to do them. He wanted to be with his person and give/receive love. You said you spoiled him and you had a lovely routine of walking him around the neighborhood, and I guarantee you that those were absolutely everything to him. If he had you, he had the best life.