Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

This is Abby. She was my best friend for almost 17 years and I put her to rest Monday morning.

I got her from a friend of mine when I was 19. He died later on in our early 20s. So she had a lot of sentimental value to me just based on that. But even moreso she was the sweetest cat on earth. She was skittish with new people but loved the ones she knew and chose to get scratches from. She knew when you were sad. She would be such a little chatterbox, rest her paws on your hand and paw at you for attention. She loved to snuggle and play. I feel like I've said these things so much the past few days to so many people but talking about it helps.

But my connection with her was out of this world. Abby followed me everywhere. And if I was busy fussing over something, she would know where I was going next, and just sit and wait, patiently watching. She'd never leave me alone except for when sleeping or bothering someone else. Every morning I would be greeted by her following me around begging for food, when I got home she would lead me to where I would sit or lay so she could get scratches and love. She even picked up a habit of going to the bathroom at the same time as me.

In November she got sick. One morning I just found her sitting under my desk and giving me sad meows. She had diarrhea and was lethargic, not eating. I took her in and she got diagnosed with pancreatitis. They told me that's almost never the only problem in cats, and that it always has a root cause. Usually thyroid, irritable bowel, or lymphoma. Well, she got better with the meds. Then in January she got worse again, and needed to be put on steroids to figure out whether it was one or the other two remaining things (her thyroid came back normal).

With injections at home she started to improve a little bit. She was eating, and happy, and enjoying life. But she just wouldn't put weight back on. She had been a 10 lb cat her whole life and had gone down to 6. I got two more happy months out of her after January. Then this weekend, she stopped eating, and new steroids wouldn't get her to eat any more. The vet shaved her leg to put the needle in and saw her skin had started to yellow, indicating her liver failing. He told me that without long term improvement on steroids he was leaning more toward lymphoma than IBD, and we agreed that putting her to rest was the best thing for her.

I miss her terribly. I feel such overwhelming guilt not because I didn't do everything I could. I tried so, so hard to make her better. I am just so sorry that there wasn't anything else that could be done. She was such a sweetheart and she just didn't deserve for biology to just happen to her like that.

But it did, and I know I'm yelling at a cloud. Treating her illness was hard, but waking up without her little meows and pestering me is so much harder. I find myself looking for her in her little spots out of habit as I walk through my apartment. I fall to pieces seemingly at random. It's one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through.

But I loved her, and I tried my best, and I hope she understands. She filled my life with so much love I hope I was able to give even a fraction of it back.

My last words to her were "Thank you." She was gone in an instant.

I know that one day I will be able to think of her and smile instead of falling apart. But that's not today.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Happy Landfill posted:

I lost Pippin over the holidays but I dreamt about him last night and need somewhere to put my thoughts. It wasn't the first time I've dreamt of him since he passed, but it was so vivid and felt so real; it was one of those dreams where you are basically in bed trying to sleep, in the same clothes and the light in your room is the exact same just like in real life when you closed your eyes so it's extra mind-fucky. I felt him at my feet, under the covers, one of his favorite places to sleep, and I nudged him with my foot and could feel him making his way up the bed to me. I could see his face come in to view from under the blankets and I felt such a rush of relief as I held him in my arms. "Pippin, oh Pippin!" I cried, like some lovely Hallmark movie. He had such a look of utter annoyance on his face, like he was saying, "what the heck, I'm right here, dummy" but I could so clearly feel him leaning in to my hug. I just remember holding him so tightly before, just, waking up. It feels like I lost him all over again.

He was 19. I got him when I was 14 after my dad moved out. My mom wanted to get me and my brother pets to kind of make up for the fact that dad wasn't there any more, so we got Pippin and his brother, Nemo. We lost Nemo back in 2014, so Pippin finally got to join him again. He was with me through a lot of lovely stuff and he could always tell when I needed someone rub fur over my tear-stained face. Pippin was on a steady decline all last year, just losing weight and losing his eyesight. It was a struggle to get him to eat but I tried everything I could, even doing subdermal fluids to keep him hydrated. But his kidneys were going, and I knew that, and the vet finally told me mid-november that I should start looking in to end-of-life care. I'm glad he did because I was able to arrange for in-home euthinasia for him on the day after Christmas. I held him in my lap while he was surrounded by my roommates and my mom. He held on as long as he could and I still feel like maybe I should have called the doctor sooner. In his last couple weeks he could hardly make it to the litter box, but he still tried. He could definitely make it out to the heater vent in the kitchen, though. He mustered enough strength to meander out while my roommate was wrapping some last minute presents, too, whcih was incredibly funny, like, he just couldn't resist one last go as the Present Wrapping Helper(i.e. sit on the edge of the paper while looking very proud). The week before christmas brought some lovely weather which kept me home for a couple days from work and I just laid there in bed with him, watching tv and the snow outside, whith him curled up at my side. I feel like the weather granted me a couple extra days with him. I just miss feeling him curled up against me whenever I was in bed. My bed is so empty without him.

Anyway, thank you guys for listening. And now I'm just sitting here reading every one else's posts and just weeping. Why is this so hard

Pipping sounds like such a good little guy, and he was so lucky to have you in his life to love him and care for him not just when it was easy, but when it got hard. As painful as it is, I try to remind myself that the reason it's so overwhelming is that it's love. When you love them throughout their life you do it a bit at a time, but when they leave us you love them all at once. It smashes you to pieces because it's too much for your heart to even handle. But more and more you become able to. It doesn't get easier, but you get stronger.

Feel better friend.