Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

I had to unexpectedly put my cat to sleep yesterday morning. Her weight had been very low for several months but her bloodwork in December was good and she was eating, drinking, and had a good energy level. I started free feeding her and there wasn’t any follow up needed from the vet. She never gained anymore weight, but other wise behavior continued to be fine.

This entire week I noticed she had become incredibly clinging. She had started jumping on me when I was at the table just to sit in my lap. Physically peeling back the covers of my sheets to crawl in bed and curl up next to me all night. If I ignored her, she was relentless. She HAD to be under the covers with me. This for the most part was normal behavior as she was so emotionally attached to me, but it had become next level neediness this week. I made a joke that she was acting like she was never going to see me again.

When I came home from work on Thursday night she didn’t greet me at the door. She stayed on the bed and didn’t move. I got her to lap up some water and eat a few bites of food. I was worried but thought maybe she just wasn’t feeling well since she had been fine the rest of the week. I went to bed that night with a pit in my stomach. I just felt that some thing was very wrong.

I called the vet in the morning since she was still acting off and the vet told me to come in immediately. After bloodwork, x-rays, and an ultrasound, the vet said she likely had very late stage kidney lymphoma and was not going to make it. There was nothing I could do for her at this point. She was in so much pain and fluids could have maybe sustained her a few more days but I didn’t want to put her through any thing else. I hugged her and petted her as they euthanized her. I feel so guilty knowing that she was probably in so much pain this last week which is why she wanted to be so close to me all the time.

This is my sweet Margot. She was a rescue who had a leg injury when I adopted her back in 2013. One leg was shorter than the other and she walked with a limp. This didn’t slow her down, but meant she could only jump on the couch and nothing higher. I called her my little floor dweller. I have never bonded with anything or anyone as much as I did with Margot. I feel so lost with my little shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU