Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I had to put our “little buddy” Leonidas to sleep this past weekend; he was 12 years old. He was a Chihuahua-Yorkie mix that was sold to someone as a “pure bred championship Yorkshire Terrier”. However, that person quickly decided they didn’t want him as he was “annoying” because he was “too affectionate” so we got him as a puppy.

He was most likely the product of a puppy mill as the vets all pointed out that his legs were a little short and his chest cavity, instead of being oval shaped when viewed from the side, it was square shaped. As a result, all of his organs were shaped a little differently in order to fit into his cube shaped thorax. It was nothing that caused him discomfort or difficulty though.

One issue he did have was tracheal collapse. He had a stent placed into his trachea years ago but the vet said that his collapse extended further down into both bronchus and there wasn’t anything they could do about that since they were too small for stents.

This past November he started having some breathing issues and was in and out of the hospital quite a bit. He was put on various medications to help open his airways and increase blood flow to his lungs. During his last stay he was there for 3 weeks. His tracheal collapse was causing him to develop symptoms of pneumonia and the vets were having trouble getting him off supplemental oxygen.

Last week the vet called me at 2 AM to say his heart had stopped but they had managed to resuscitate him. I knew then that it was time to let him go. Over the next few days he no longer wanted to eat and during my daily visits he seemed really confused. He would want to come out of his cage but he didn’t seem to be aware of who I was. On Saturday morning they called to say he was getting worse and needed a lot of oxygen so they suggested coming in to let him go. I went on Saturday with my mom since she was his favorite person and he didn’t see me to even be aware of her. He was just staring blankly and looking around.

I’ve had many dogs throughout the years and it’s always extremely difficult to let them go but you need to realize there’s a point where you’re keeping them around for yourself and if you really love them, you need to let them go and let them have peace.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU