Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
This is my Opie.

We carried her across the rainbow bridge on Friday night after a sudden decline on Thursday. She had developed Cushing's disease at some stage without us (or the vet) detecting it, and was paralyzed in her hind legs from a failed spinal surgery a year ago. My wife and I got her when we moved into our first home together, and have never been apart. She was in our wedding, and was there when we bought our children home from the hospital. She would lay at my feet when I worked everyday, except when my baby daughter was napping and then she would guard the door. I have a million little stories about her personality and empathy and I've been crying since Thursday and can't stop. The depth of the bereavement is completely unparalleled and I've never experienced pain like this before.

I keep looking forward to going to bed at night because I'm certain she will come and tell us she is OK.

I am waiting on a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I'm so sorry for you both - the silence and absence is something you can't anticipate. Do whatever you need to to get through these first (worst) days. My wife and I held a wake, drinking and going through all of the photos. It stung a lot, but every time it hurt we were thinking that the next time we saw the photos it would feel easier and it does.

Take care of yourselves.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Happy trails, Rumple. You look like you were a cheeky little grump.

Until we meet again.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I'm so sorry to hear - it's awful news to get, no matter how long they give or how old your pet is. Six is far too young. It sounds like you've got a bit of time to think about how you'd like to move forward, and that can be a mixed blessing.

I agree with spoiling your cat. There's two reasons for this. One, one of the silver linings you get to clutch at now is that all sorts of things with long term consequences are irrelevant now. Let the cat get up on the counter and steal your ham. Two, though, is that you'll want memories of you explicitly making choices to bring your pet joy. When we had to put our dog down, the best comfort we had in the weeks after was reminiscing about the joy she'd given us and the things we'd done to give her comfort in the final days. We still talk about carrying her from the lounge room to our bedroom every night because we didn't want her to have to slip and slide over our laminate floors, and give her semi nightly baths to combat a persistent skin infection that we couldn't shake. Euthanasia is a tough thing even when it's right, but it is a kindness even if doesn't feel like one. You can lessen the feelings of guilt by thinking back on better kindnesses.We didn't know we were running out of time, and it can be so easy to take your pets for granted. Luckily, we'd been spoiling our Opie for her entire life so it probably wouldn't have been different had we had some warning.

Give your cat cuddles. Take photos and videos and let Google or whoever put them into slideshows with music on them. You might not be able to watch them immediately, but you will one day and you'll be glad you have them.

Cry if you need to. Cry with your partner and friends and family. Talk out your feelings and let them out. I had no idea how much I would cry, but when I spoke to people about it they all told me the same thing - they'd cried too. Older people, younger, cops, doctors, rough and tough manly mans man types; they'd all cried when they'd lost their pets. Don't feel bad about feeling bad, or guilty about your grief. If you're religious, you might take solace that the animals are to be raised in the new world. If you're not, then perhaps you can take comfort that you've cared for and loved a small part of the universe that was all your own, and whose life was infinitely better because you were in it.

And post. It helps.

Best of luck to you.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Grief isn't a feeling, it's a wound. And wounds do heal, eventually.

As others have said, regret is almost universal in grief since it isn't possible to min-max your relationship so that you only ever have optimal, positive experiences. It's hard, but you have to forgive yourself for not being perfect and not somehow choosing a different sliding door.

At some point you'll notice that the memories that make you saddest now will start to bring you joy again, and this is when you'll start to notice that you've been healing. And this is when you'll be able to start remembering all the good times and joy you bought each other, and that your best friend truly was your best friend and loved every minute with you. I think of my girl every single day, but I don't need to cry anymore (though I am now that I type this out - it's funny what brings things up).

Your dogs sound incredibly lucky to have had you all.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
What a beautiful boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
My three year old asked me when Opie was coming back from the vet and I cried like a baby. Its been nearly six months.