Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My good dog. :( My poor Emmy.

In 2009 we decided to get a new puppy, announced it to the ether, and a couple of weeks later somebody we'd never met before knocked on the front door with "I live across the road and have a new litter, wanna buy a puppy?"

We picked one out, a cute sleepy little thing, then when we came back with the money the woman was like "oh yeah I have this other one I didn't show you" and it was awake and bitey and making terrible noises. So we took that one. We named her Emmy, because my friends dog was named Oscar.

She came home the day my boyfriend died, and I was extremely angry and resentful about it. We weren't supposed to have her for another week, but the woman insisted. August 29th 2009. Her breath stank so badly that we ended up taking her to the vet and the vet was just like "lol, puppies stink, have some stomach powder for her I guess!"

She was 4 weeks old, and went back to her mother whilst I was in Finland for the funeral, so that was probably good for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqs8qzj4VOY

A couple of weeks later we got another puppy from the same woman, Sophie. She was dying of a respitory illness and was tiny (Also 4 weeks old), but she pulled through and is still trucking. Emmy was my dog and Sophie was my mums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjfjviCJcaM

My mum taught them to howl like wolves, by howling at them, and they used to wake me up in the morning by singing with my alarm. They later taught Ghita to sing and still sometimes in the morning get so excited that they just spontaneously start up the choir.

I went on holiday for a week at one point, and when I got back she refused to make eye contact with me or sleep on my bed for months afterwards. Apparently she sat on the windowsill and howled sadly the whole time I was away. It took a lot of trips to the beach to rebuild that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aOAIsejAag

Around age 7 or so, she developed a brain problem. She lost the use of her back legs and forgot how to turn left or climb even small kerbs or steps. We couldn't afford an MRI, but steroids seemed to control it. She got the use of her legs back and rememberered how to turn, even if she heavily favoured one side and had to be walked against walls when on the lead. But, she could run in straight lines once she got her speed up, and recently loved running with my boyfriend or the bike. Sometimes she'd lose sight of us (generally because we were behind her) and just start running flat-out in one direction. Calling her would only make her run faster, because she could hear us, so surely she was going the right way! She would also attempt to go home with strangers, and couldn't tell the difference between me and my boyfriends voice, if you called her it was basically random which one of us she looked at.

We got a puppy about 4 years ago, Ghita, who loved her from the very first moment she saw her. She would just stand and bark at her to play with her, ignoring the fact Emmy barked back much, much louder. She never hurt her once, though. They became partners in crime (the crimes being chicken murdering and poop eating :|)

I feel most bad for Ghita, how do you explain that her best friend is never coming back :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePzgdoLxBzQ

A few weeks ago she had a fit after falling down the stairs. Then another a week or so ago. Then yesterday she'd had a good morning, we'd been cooking since 8am because we were making a buffet for my grandmas birthday, frequently shouting at her as she got in the way, got stuck in the cooking-corner and stood on our feet with her rain-wet paws, catching little scraps of pastry and whatever vegetable peelings were on hand. Around 12pm we were upstairs waiting to go, when she started fitting, and just never stopped. After an hour we said our goodbyes and got her to the vet, and they put her to sleep.

And that was that. My poor old broken dog. She started around the time we were due to go, and I'm just so, so glad we didn't come back to that hours later.

Poor old Emmy. Hopefully wherever you are now, there's all the cabbage and chicken poop you can eat. You are missed.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

My poor beautiful tiny Sophie decided that the greatest thing she could do would be to join Emmy, by climbing onto the sofa during the night and eating a whole bar of dark chocolate. wtf. By the time we realised, there wasn't anything the vet could do, although they tried :(

What an absolutely poo poo month. RIP Sophie, made it 12 years and then decided to join Emmy and give me guilt and trauma at the same time.

Seriously wtf. My poor tiny dog.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm ok, I have my partner here and another dog to hug, it's just the little things. Ghita isn't interested in toys at all, while Sophie was ball-obsessed. Ghita has no interest in human food at all, and I miss watching him peel vegetables directly into her and emmys mouths. She always barked in the morning or when we got home and it was absolutely ear-piercing. On a walk she was always 3 steps behind us no matter how fast or slow we were going. (She would run behind me when I was on the bike and absolutely loved it. She didn't have to, she could have stayed with my partner, she just wanted to!)

Even the morning after she'd eaten all the chocolate, she woke us up because she'd pushed her ball under a cabinet and wanted us to get it out for her, barking and scratching and just fine.

The first time my mum ever took her out on a walk, to the park across the road, she got spooked and ran all the way home on her own. I heard this scratching noise at the front door, looked down in confusion when there was nobody there, and saw this tiny puppy all on her own. 15 minutes later my mum comes home like "D: D: D: I LOST THE PUPPY!"

My boyfriend tried to take her for a walk in the rain a couple of times, and she would wait until she was off the lead and he wasn't looking, and then just turn round and go straight back home. She always knew where she lived.

I'm gonna go to the vet today and pay the bill and get her harness. We'll donate it along with Emmys to the local dog-shop, who're asking for harnesses for rescue dogs.

It's just the little things I miss.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

At least he went mostly on his own terms :unsmith:

A good doggo.