Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My little dog Sassy passed away last week month (I've had to stop and come back to writing this many times). I'm the only one who misses her and I'm having a tough time with her sudden passing. I'm trying to focus on the positive side of her life with my family. My mother adopted Sassy when she was already eight years old. She only came with a fleece blanket which seemed sad because all of our dogs have had a lot of toys and beds and bowls that were theirs. I don't think badly of her previous owner since she wasn't abused or anything, but she was definitely a rescue. We spoiled her of course, and it took me a while to clean all of her things and put them away. Here's a picture of her in first winter with a new little dog coat:

That was my mother's favorite picture of Sassy and it was on her desk at work until she retired. This one was one of my favorites because it was so funny to me that she was so small she could sit on a piece of paper. I had this one made into a canvas print that my mother was ambivalent about but I will now have by her urn as a memorial:

A friend of the family visited after Sassy joined our family and did a colored pencil portrait of her. I'm looking for the original to add to the physical memorial by her urn, but I at least have a picture of the artwork:

Unlike any of our other dogs, Sassy didn't know how to play. She didn't like toys or chasing balls or playing tug. We don't know if it's just how she was treated by her first owners or if she was just odd. She just wanted to be held and liked to snuggle and eat food. I guess it's a yorkie trait but she would follow my mom around non stop. My mom said she was like a little stalker and to some degree that was true since she always wanted to find her favorite person and would always be looking for them if they weren't nearby. She was a good companion for my mom who dealt with a lot of medical issues and needed a constant companion after she retired and while she went through her cancer treatments. Sassy was even able to visit her at the rehab facility while she was there after being hospitalized. At the time my mom was getting better but eventually she took a turn for the worse and my mother never made it home. Telling Sassy that I didn't think my mother would be coming home again was the hardest that I've cried until this last month. Here she is trying to get some of the pureed dinner that they fed my mother. She always wanted everyone's dinner.

After my mom passed away, Sassy quickly became my best friend because she always had one favorite person. Since she never became friends with my dad (unless he was making food he would share) she spent all her time with me. She liked to hang out with me behind me on the couch and because she was such a funny little dog she'd often spend a lot of time matting down the grass. I even took a video at some point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npvkndio5iM

She was a good companion and was with me almost every day for the last four years. A couple of years ago she went with me to a friend's family's beach house where she got to ride in the basket of a cargo trike and investigate some horseshoe crab shells.

She was a real sweetheart of a dog and I thought she would be with me for longer. She made it to fifteen years old which isn't too bad for a little dog. Despite a few health problems she didn't have to suffer many of the indignities of old age. Unfortunately, she started having trouble breathing one night and despite going to the vet first thing the next morning, she passed away after we got got home, while we were taking a nap. The vet said it was just a little pneumonia but when you're very small then that can be too much, I guess. For now I go to sleep with her little blanket next to me since I got used to her curling up behind my back. I don't know what else to do. I'm not sure I believe in an afterlife but if there is one I know she's with my mother now.

It's weird to write a memorial for a dog since I've lost a few during my life that I considered my best friends and I haven't done it before. However, Sassy was very important to me and her passing is insignificant to the world at large, but is a huge loss for me. It doesn't seem fair that she's gone. I appreciate being able to share some of her life here, because even though you'll never know my little friend you can at least see her cute dog face and witness her life. There are a lot nice memorials in this thread to friends whose loss is felt deeply. I hope to get some closure but am struggling for now. I might add some more pictures or video later but I'm trying to wrap it up and I've had a hard time just looking at the stuff I have. I know I'll have another dog some day and get to spoil a new friend, but for now losing Sassy is a real change of the status quo and the end of an era for me. I'm now in a future where I can't go back and I miss how things were.

I'm coping with some whiskey and this Pallbearer album which makes me feel a little better. Thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lwoodio posted:

I hope you are feeling better. We just lost our 15 year old Yorkie yesterday to the same issue and it is hitting me way harder than I thought it would. She was so cute and tiny and cuddly. Even at 15, people would ask if she was a puppy, because she only weighed 4 lbs. We took her to the emergency vet because she was breathing rapidly and they said it seemed like pneumonia. They did an Xray and changed their guess to pulmonary hypertension possibly from a blood clot. They gave her medicine and had her on oxygen, but after a few hours she was rapidly deteriorating and they said she wouldn't make it. We got to hold her and say goodbye as they gave her the euthanasia.

I'm sorry for your loss, you had a really cute little friend.

I am doing better but grief over loss comes in waves. I think the first month and a half was the worst because your daily life is so different without your dog and you miss them frequently. She'd wake me up to take her out and fix her breakfast, or bark at me if I was up too late, that kind of thing. I'm readjusting but I still miss having her around. The year itself has improved, especially due to covid vaccination, but it's still going to stand out as a bad year due to the profound sense of loss. I think that's normal, but everyone's deals with these things differently.