Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I lost Pippin over the holidays but I dreamt about him last night and need somewhere to put my thoughts. It wasn't the first time I've dreamt of him since he passed, but it was so vivid and felt so real; it was one of those dreams where you are basically in bed trying to sleep, in the same clothes and the light in your room is the exact same just like in real life when you closed your eyes so it's extra mind-fucky. I felt him at my feet, under the covers, one of his favorite places to sleep, and I nudged him with my foot and could feel him making his way up the bed to me. I could see his face come in to view from under the blankets and I felt such a rush of relief as I held him in my arms. "Pippin, oh Pippin!" I cried, like some lovely Hallmark movie. He had such a look of utter annoyance on his face, like he was saying, "what the heck, I'm right here, dummy" but I could so clearly feel him leaning in to my hug. I just remember holding him so tightly before, just, waking up. It feels like I lost him all over again.

He was 19. I got him when I was 14 after my dad moved out. My mom wanted to get me and my brother pets to kind of make up for the fact that dad wasn't there any more, so we got Pippin and his brother, Nemo. We lost Nemo back in 2014, so Pippin finally got to join him again. He was with me through a lot of lovely stuff and he could always tell when I needed someone rub fur over my tear-stained face. Pippin was on a steady decline all last year, just losing weight and losing his eyesight. It was a struggle to get him to eat but I tried everything I could, even doing subdermal fluids to keep him hydrated. But his kidneys were going, and I knew that, and the vet finally told me mid-november that I should start looking in to end-of-life care. I'm glad he did because I was able to arrange for in-home euthinasia for him on the day after Christmas. I held him in my lap while he was surrounded by my roommates and my mom. He held on as long as he could and I still feel like maybe I should have called the doctor sooner. In his last couple weeks he could hardly make it to the litter box, but he still tried. He could definitely make it out to the heater vent in the kitchen, though. He mustered enough strength to meander out while my roommate was wrapping some last minute presents, too, whcih was incredibly funny, like, he just couldn't resist one last go as the Present Wrapping Helper(i.e. sit on the edge of the paper while looking very proud). The week before christmas brought some lovely weather which kept me home for a couple days from work and I just laid there in bed with him, watching tv and the snow outside, whith him curled up at my side. I feel like the weather granted me a couple extra days with him. I just miss feeling him curled up against me whenever I was in bed. My bed is so empty without him.

Anyway, thank you guys for listening. And now I'm just sitting here reading every one else's posts and just weeping. Why is this so hard

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

That really is the best Calvin and Hobbes :unsmith:

It reminds me very much of this comic drawn by someone I follow on Twitter

https://twitter.com/Lilblueorchid/status/1562164415906172930?s=20

I like to imagine our departed friends show up in our dreams to check on us, just to make sure we're doing okay. The rainbow bridge can sound a little hokey at times but it brings me comfort to think that they're waiting for us

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’ve had many dogs throughout the years and it’s always extremely difficult to let them go but you need to realize there’s a point where you’re keeping them around for yourself and if you really love them, you need to let them go and let them have peace.

Making the final call is so, so hard, but it's always the right decision. My aunt, who has had many dogs over the years, told me that it is the best, most kind thing you can do for your friend. I still think I should have done it a day sooner. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a handsome guy!