Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Last week, when our cat Onion started spiraling downward, I told my partner that I didn't think I'd ever be able to put an animal down. This morning we made the impossible decision to euthanize him. I held him in his final moments. He suddenly had energy again, minutes before the end, and it made it so much harder. We went home with an empty pet carrier.

He came into our lives roughly ten months ago. Wandered up to our car when we were about to go to work, then bolted inside our house and made himself at home when we went to grab him some food. He was already old and sick-- gum disease, kidney failure, the works-- when he came into our lives, so we knew we wouldn't have much time with him. That didn't make today or the last few weeks any easier.

Maybe I'll share some happy stories and photos when I'm feeling more up to it. For now it's helping just to type this out. Thanks for reading, and my deepest empathy to everyone else who has reason to be in this thread.

Bless you for taking in an old, sick cat, giving him comfort and love in his last months, and helping him to pass painlessly when it was time. I'm sorry for your loss, but it's so good that you were there for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Honestly, if he was that small at 6-7 months old and not growing, I would bet he had some congenital health problems that caught up with him. A lot of kittens from feral litters can have fairly serious congenital issues, thanks to inbreeding and stress/malnutrition of feral moms, and a lot of them don't make it even with the best care. Looking at those pictures, it seems like Leo was comfortable and happy in the time he had. I'm very sorry for your loss, and thank you for taking good care of him while he was here.