Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
Well, we've just had a one-two punch.

About 8 years ago, my brother and his then-wife found three kittens by the side of the road in a box. When they made up their mind to go back for them, there were only two left - and since they were big fans of the Office, they were named Dwight and Jim.

About a year later, after they had a kid and got divorced, they needed someone to take care of Dwight and Jim, for "just a few weeks" until they can get everything situated.

Dwight and Jim never left.

Over, time we got to know their different personalities.

Jim was super outgoing, sweet, and loved nothing more than to curl up right on your chest purr deafeningly loudly. If you weren't giving him attention, he would scream at you until he did. Though initially skittish around strangers, after a few minutes he would come cautiously out to let people adore him.

My wife often described him as "prettier than most humans"

Dwight, on the other hand, was much more quiet. When he did meow, it was a high pitched squeak. He would hide from any guest and only come out when they're gone. He would jump up on the arm of a chair or a bed for pets, but but he was not a lap cat by any stretch of the imagination.

Despite their personality differences, they got along wonderfully. I have so many pictures of them snuggling together that it was difficult to pick just a few.

Jim stopped eating over a week ago and was generally lethargic. We noticed this on a Sunday, so we took him to the emergency vet. They did some tests, and it turns out his kidneys were failing, big time. They tried to push fluid through and see if they could make him good enough to keep him going with an altered diet, but by the next day it was obvious he was suffering and he was still not eating, so we made the decision to end his pain. He went out in our arms, purring.

Just yesterday was Dwight's regular checkup. I insisted on blood tests to make sure Dwight didn't have the same kidney problems as Jim did, since they were littermates. Turns out Dwight does. He's not as bad off as Jim was,, but he's still in Stage 2 renal failure. With meds and an altered diet, hopefully we'll still have him for a while more, but the vet said he has six month to a year left.

Give your animals a hug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU