Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My wife and I put down Poncho about two hours ago. We had him for two weeks. He was 12 years old.

He and his bonded mate Salvador were a couple rescues we adopted at a hockey game that was having a pet adoption night. Their previous person passed away, so they were in a shelter together until we got them.

Poncho developed a nagging wheeze last week and he had some bowel issues that cleared up with an anal glands expression and anti-biotics we got the day after he was adopted. Chest x-rays were negative. Took him back the next week for his immunizations, vet looked over him and didn't see anything unusual since last time. My wife took him in today as planned because he would produce a lot of snot when he sneezed, so we assumed allergies since I grew up with a dog with seasonal allergies. After this round of x-rays, they found masses in his stomach, abdominal area, and lungs. The cancer was so far progressed that he was sick long before we got him. He was my wife's dog and went to sleep in her arms at the vet's office.

Here are the two monsters:

Poncho is in the upper left. He was a Chihuahua mix. He was special because he didn't yap.

That's Salvador on the bottom right. He's a Retriever mix and when we got home from the vet, he was glad to see us. He was very loving as he always is and because he didn't look for Poncho, my wife and I figured that Sal knew Poncho was sick. Sal was always very protective of Poncho. Sal would frequently lick Poncho's head when he'd check on his little buddy and was very defensive of him around other dogs--especially big ones. Salvador being so protective of Poncho and how close they were was special.

Silver lining in all this is I like to believe that Poncho is now back with his first person. When we get Poncho's ashes, he'll be buried with his collar, harness, and leash all wrapped up in his favorite Star Wars blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU