Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My family and I had to say goodbye to our dog, Linus.

We got him from a rescue as a puppy. He was my first dog. He came down with parasites right after we brought him home and I thought I broke him. A quick vet trip fixed him up really quick.

He was an eager learner in obedience school but never learned anything more than sit, lay down, speak, spin, and paw. He was our whole focus for his first two years of life and was fast friends with my niece who was only a bit older than he.

He didn't like men but adored women and children. He could be weird about his paws and what he walked on. He never walked through our kitchen due to the tile in it and always walked around it. Whenever my dad came over, Linus would insist my dad chase him in the backyard. When my mom dogsat for us, he'd refuse to come in until she walked him.

Before we had a fence, he'd get to be off leash at my parents' house. It was one of the only places he could do so. He'd never listen when I told him to come and leave and would zoom around me instead of letting me bring him in.

He was an excellent intruder alarm but a terrible guard. He'd hide behind me and bark at new people instead. He also had these big jowls and lip flaps that muffled his small barks. I could tell just from his sounds when he needed or what was happening. He had a happy whine when someone was pulling into the driveway. He had a "I'm hungry" whine. He made these sighing sounds when he waking up and going to sleep that I miss already.

When my son was born, Linus was never jealous. He tolerated the new baby/toddler until later in life when my son could play back. They were as close as brothers and he was a constant play companion, especially in the last few years. My son and I would roll a tennis ball across our family room and play monkey in the middle with him. Linus loved toys but he'd discard them after ripping out the squeaker.

Linus blew out a knee when he was 7 or 8. While we got it surgically repaired, he always had a bit of a limp after that. As he got older, he slowed down but never lost that puppy attitude when it came to playtime. It was only in the last couple of months that he started limping more. We got him medication and helped him with the stairs. By the Saturday before last, his hind legs appeared to be weaker and less stable. By last Wednesday, he couldn't move them despite how badly he wanted to. Arthritis had spread throughout his spine and hips. His tail stopped wagging. He needed our help to potty in the yard. By last Friday, in consultation with the vet, we decided it was time and made an appointment for the next day (yesterday).

He saw every beloved family member beforehand. He got lots of pets, cuddles, treats and his favorite human food (sausage, bacon, cheese, and jerky). The day seemed to take forever but also wasn't long enough. We were there with him the whole time as we didn't want him to be scared or alone. He was 11. He was the best first dog anyone could've asked for. He was the best dog I could've asked for my son to have. He will always be my first dog in my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU