Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

This is probably going sound like such a dumb and weird question but does anyone whose lost a pet ever feel regret, or sorry that they could have done more?

I put my 11-year old boy down a little less than a month ago. And I know he was spoiled. Everyone who knew how he lived could tell you how spoiled he was. He got my food scraps, he got 2-3 long walks each day. Our schedules, vacations, and activities revolved around him. Yet I still can't shake the feeling I could have done more y'know? I think about all those times he wanted to play and I turned him down, or walk a little bit longer and we went home, or maybe I got short and yelled at him. And I just feel like I could have done more... It feels like I let him down, even though he never ever let me down.

Is it normal to beat myself up over this? I never got to do so many things with him, like let him swim in the ocean, go to a different country, let him try more foods. Meet more dogs and people. Feels like all I can do is focus on the negatives or the 'what if's rather than appreciate the time we did have. It feels especially worse because I feel like in the later years of his life we settled into a routine of just a regular walk in the neighborhood. No exploring new trails, no travels, ran out of activities I could think of to do with a 95lb dog. And that upsets me, because it makes me think I got complacent and took him for granted- that he was always going to be there. Because for 11 years he was always there. Right by my side. And it felt like it was going to be like that forever. And now he's not.

Maybe I just really miss my friend.

https://i.imgur.com/MquXFKV.mp4

Goodbye buddy

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thank you all for your experiences.

Techno Remix posted:

I’ve got a weird quasi-regret that I’ve never been able to shake. It’s been a little over two years since I lost Dweezil and of course I miss that cantankerous little bastard every day I wake up. He had an aggressive osteosarcoma in his jaw, and in two days went from looking fine to ready to say goodbye. Everything I’ve ever read about that particular condition isn’t good: it’s painful, aggressive, and surgery might get you a few extra months but at what expense of my companion’s dignity? Surgery was never an option for him; I told him that the only thing I would ever ask of him was to tell me when it was time to go, and I would take care of him. He held up his end of the bargain, and so did I.

But for some bizarre reason, I find myself incredibly pissed off at an alternative universe me that DID do the surgery. It’s a painfully intrusive thought, but I have this immense anger and regret at some version of me that doesn’t exist. I guess it just comes down to the fact that grief is a vicious, unpredictable beast and there isn’t a right way to experience it.

I know exactly what you mean because Drogo had osteosarcoma too, just in his leg. Our vet was very blunt and upfront. Based on the X Ray and his size and age, he estimated Drogo only had a few months left to live. The only treatment possible at that point was amputation and chemotherapy which would have been very expensive and even after getting 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions they agreed that even with treatment most dogs diagnosed with Osteosarcoma succumb within a year or so.

But part of me wonders what would have happened if we had just gone ahead with the treatment anyway, or at the very least, the amputation? Or if we had done semi-annual X Rays and caught it earlier? Or maybe it would have been better if we had him put down sooner after the diagnosis. I had multiple tell me it was incurable. That it was painful. Nobody will ever be able to give me the right answer but I feel like i will forever wonder if I did things right. If I did things right by him.

I've never had to grieve for someone so, so close to me before. So thank you all for telling me about your experiences with the process. It does help.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 12, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Thank you all. Today is the 1-month anniversary of Drogo's death.

A friend suggested making a digital album and inviting all the people we knew to contribute any pictures, videos, or stories of Drogo they had. While it kind of hurt to look at first, I was eventually was reminded about all the good times and it did make me feel better, especially as I didn't even remember some of them. As a gesture of appreciation and solidarity with all of you who have lost your own pets, here's one last post to remember a dog I loved more than I ever imagined loving something.

https://imgur.com/a/oCxPDep