Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
This was Bond:

He made his own rules.

Thirteen years ago I brought him home as a mischievous little fuzzball of a kitten

And he was my buddy and best coworker ever since

Unfortunately he's had digestive issues for the last few years, and they've been slowly getting worse with nothing any veterinarians have offered being able to do more than delay the inevitable. A few months ago he had a really bad time that led to an overnight emergency vet stay and an extended veterinary boarding. He mostly recovered from that but lost his energy. He couldn't jump up on to counters anymore and would slowly climb couches and his cat tree to then just lay down and stare off in to the abyss, only getting up for food, litter box, and occasionally wanting to come over and get some love. I decided then that if he declined again I wasn't going to put him through any worse of a quality of life.

That decline came this last weekend, he got a lot wobblier while walking around and didn't really eat anything solid for two days, so Monday I made the call no one wants to make and scheduled an in-home service so he wouldn't have to spend his last moments in a carrier where he knows he's going to the vet.

Yesterday the vet came by and put him out of his misery. The in-home service was worth every penny, Bond was comfortable and surrounded by the people he lived with, and they did a wonderful job explaining the process so I knew what was going on at every moment. It also meant I didn't have to drive a half hour home from my normal vet office with an empty carrier next to me, which would have been horrible.

This morning was the first time in basically the entire time I've lived on my own as an adult that I didn't have him at my feet while I was going through my morning routine. While I was doing my things I heard a noise that sounded like one of his mews and it broke me. Even though I knew this was coming and had time to prepare, it's always too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU