Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

RME posted:

I'll watch twelve animes this year, one for each month, suggested by people in this thread, that i've never seen before.

For August you should watch BECK. If you can find a dual audio version I'd recommend that, I seem to recall the songs being much better in English. If you've seen it, then do Tsuritama instead.

I'll post my resolution when I get home and can read my list more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Alright now that I've been able to sort my list by date started, I am going to at minimum finish everything I started in 2012/2013 and never finished. These are:

Trigun
Bokurano
Ergo Proxy
Great Teacher Onizuka
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Higurashi
Genshiken
Texhnolyze
Boogiepop Phantom
Bartender
Martian Successor Nadesico
Kuragehime
Monster (oh no)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (oh NO)
Kids on the Slope
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Hell Girl
Kamisama Dolls
Spice and Wolf

19 shows, so about two/month from the list with Monster and LOGH getting a month each.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

See if either Given or 3-gatsu no Lion looks like something you're interested in.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Watch Kaiba probably

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Draxion posted:

Alright now that I've been able to sort my list by date started, I am going to at minimum finish everything I started in 2012/2013 and never finished. These are:

Trigun
Bokurano
Ergo Proxy
Great Teacher Onizuka
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Higurashi
Genshiken
Texhnolyze
Boogiepop Phantom
Bartender
Martian Successor Nadesico
Kuragehime
Monster (oh no)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (oh NO)
Kids on the Slope
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Hell Girl
Kamisama Dolls
Spice and Wolf

19 shows, so about two/month from the list with Monster and LOGH getting a month each.

I've watched all these now. I don't have a lot to say about most of them, but some stuff stood out:

LOGH and Monster are as good as everyone always says, Ergo Proxy bored the hell out of me seven years ago but I loved it this summer. Onizuka has an all time classic OP. The Bartender anime is kind of mediocre but it did get me to go read the manga, and the manga was really fun! Having an actual structure instead of being entirely episodic like the anime helped. And uh, let's see. I liked Genshiken enough to look for the second season. It's very funny that it looks like an anime about an otaku club but is largely about how rough it can be to date someone you don't share any interests with. Kids on the Slope was cool, looked great, very fun music animation and stuff.

Everything else was some variety of "okay" I think. I think the thing I was most hoping to "get" after seven years was Haruhi but no, I still don't. Maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

I've been meaning to get into LoGH for years, and I managed to get three episodes in before bouncing off not that long ago. I hate to do this, but do you mind saying how long it took before you felt like you "got" why it's such a classic?

Had more than a few shows where I needed four or five episodes to really get into the groove, so I've learned a little patience, but I'd like to know if that's only my problem here, or if there's a point where people tend to go "Oh, that's what people are talking about!"

Yeah, it's a fair bit further than 4 or 5 episodes. Probably around the civil wars starting 15 or 20 episodes in? This is about when you can really start seeing who Yang and Reinhard's political ideas, and who they are as characters besides "this guy's a really good admiral."

Up until that point I was still having a good time though, largely because I really love the scale of the fleet battles. There's one early battle I remember where one of the admirals orders his fleet to hold fire until the enemy was within 6 million kilometers, or that there's 50,000 ships engaged, and I think numbers like that (and the big wide shots of the battlefield) help sell that this is actually a galactic-scale conflict of the sort I haven't seen done very well in a lot of other anime.