Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Serious auto-related post since we're here and all: MY WIFE is looking into used EVs because her 2012 impreza is acting pretty rough in its old age. I don't know poo poo about EVs used or otherwise (except that musk and teslas are lol) and I have a bunch of questions. Is this a good time to look into a used one, or is it worth waiting a few years? Will I have to rewire my garage to include an EV charger, and if so, is that something you can hire out or get tax breaks for? Are there specific models of used EVs to avoid or look into? For context she drives about a mile and back to work each day, and travels about 50 miles once or twice a month to visit her mom (and we go on regional vacations only a few times a year) so there isn't a lot of mileage here.

Is this a good time to get a used one: not really, but better then it has been in the past. Up until recently it made more sense to buy new based on incentives.

Will I need to rewire my garage: you'll probably want to, there are manufacturer, local and federal rebates and incentives you'll have to comb through to figure out if you qualify. If you have a 200A panel in your garage, putting an EVSE (what the adapter "box" for charging is called) should be cheap and easy. Though with how little your wife drives, plugging into a regular outlet (level 1 charging) would be a good bet.

For your wife's use case: a used EV sounds like a decent option!

If you want to avoid Elonmobiles, and you're looking for something cheap, I'd recommend a Chevy Bolt. proper battery cooling, good range, most batteries are only a couple years old because of a recall, good options packages cons: narrow and cramped, ugly, made by GM, slow DC fast charging rate.

BMW i3: ugly as sin, cool little car though, suits your wife's purpose, still a BMW on the inside, so nice.

Avoid: Nissan Leaf, they have battery cooling and degradation issues, though that might be tolerable with how little your wife drives, lovely little cars besides the range issue.

Other cars to look at:
-Hyundai Ioniq5/Kia EV 6 (same car, different look)
-Mustang Mach E
-Volkswagen ID.4

Though those are all newish so I dunno if you can find a good deal.

Ask the EV thread in this here forum, and you'll get some other opinions!