Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The Paprika book was horrid whenever Tokita appeared in the scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Perfect Blue was somehow elevated by the film I shudder to think about the leaps of logic the book must have taken. Perfect Blue is a decent movie but it's not Kon's best and the twist is really dumb even if it does have cool visuals.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Managed to catch Pompo in theaters. Had to go with the dub due to scheduling, but hey. Still a good movie.

And, excluding the intro talk with the crew?

Still 90 minutes.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Watched On-Gaku. Dudes rock

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

watched a couple of movies since they became especially topical

Trigun: Badlands Rumble - dub Trigun is one of the shows i busted through as pandemic wfh was dragging on last year. really enjoyed the majority of it, though the GHG seem a bit underwritten and Knives isn't the most compelling final antagonist. it also has some of its best material in the early anime-original stuff, which was a bit of a shock to learn with this new CG adaptation coming. the new adaptation was a good motivator to finally pick up this film (and start reading the manga as well), and i really enjoyed it! despite the loss of Yosuke Kuroda as writer, a good amount of core staff returned and it's not like Yasuko Kobayashi is a slouch in the world of anime/toku scriptwriting. the vibe is on point with other anime-original stories from the tv series and with just over a decade since it was made, there's a lot of advancement to the production quality. the little staff quirks in that regard were one of my favorite bits, how you can see the similarity in character design between this and the adaptation of HxH that would be done under similar staff the next year. however its source as a Nightow manga still shines through in an absolute mountain of background weirdoes that you could easily transpose into later adaptations like BBB. Gasback's self-serving anti-capitalist rhetoric and his opposition to a crew of backstabbing self-interested scumbags make him a fun villain to root for and then against, when his ambitious revenge goes beyond just affecting his original targets. the "twist" with Amelia feels intentionally obvious in a way that is charming to me, and her little arc within the movie ties it up nicely. now...the secondary twist they put over top of everything is a bit too cute, but i can't do much more than say "oh you" in the face of enjoying the rest of its spectacle and emotional beats. 4/5

Spriggan - wow, another old property with a recent (partial) CG adaptation! this was one i saw in rental stores a lot as a kid, but remember the name and cover felt incomprehensible to me, and so it "probably wasn't very good" (Steamboy is in this boat too). only in the past few years did i pick up some interest in it for its sakuga, but it wasn't until the one-two punch of the Netflix adaptation and Seven Seas omnibus that i buckled down to watch. this one didn't land with me as much as hoped, it certainly has the animation spectacle i was expecting but it feels lacking in "connective tissue." for the most part i appreciate it as a production piece with a cool setting. since studio 4C animated, you get to see more of their early experimentations with CG and digital effects, which i think all work really well (esp. the interior Ark stuff). dipping into the manga as a comparison point, i ended up quite liking this movie's take on the same material actually. there's not much of the missing "connective tissue" that you can find in the manga either, though it has by the same point attempted to establish a school-life side of Ominae's adventures that anchors him in this arc rather than the child soldier/Fatman backstory of the movie. feeling the manga's school stuff is still too clumsily included and an earlier arc much too bloated, i wouldn't give it a nod over the anime (which also incredibly punches up the action). 3/5

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 20, 2022

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
perfect blue (satoshi kon, 1997)

yea, i had never watched this. like most interesting movies whose reputation precedes them, this both fell in line with and captivatingly deviated from my own expectations. the mystery itself is almost perfunctory, a pivot for kon to expound on themes of the commodification of women's bodies, the madonna-whore complex, the transition to adult(woman)hood, the struggle for self-actualization, male gaze, misogyny, patriarchy, all that good stuff, expressed through the riddle wrapped in an enigma editing that dominates the film through its back half. i wonder if kon had lived on if he would've had the urge to remake this movie with his accumulated clout for better animation, like with yasujiro ozu and his modernized floating weeds that had sound and color. or maybe such a hypothetical object would be more like michael haneke and funny games, to serve as a message/warning to a younger generation

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shin-chan movie 22

was curious about this one as it's written by kazuki nakashima, who cited movie 9 as a heavy influence. wanted to see if it was one of his better scripts. after watching i'd say it's one of the weakest scripts he's written. it never really accomplishes the level of introspection and maturity that adult empire had, which makes the few moments it tries to have fall pretty flat. there's a few interesting moments with robo hiroshi and the general text of the movie around fatherhood, but rather than its core narrative feeding into those as adult empire did with hiroshi's flashback sequence, the scene that inspired the movie as a whole, it basically just changes gears three times and has a really generic and boring villain who doesn't bring any real sense of pathos in. worst of all none of the cast of the movie are all that funny or memorable, the bad guy comes close to being one of the more sympathetic ones but they basically end up brushing that aside as soon as it comes up, and the police woman side character might as well not exist for how little she actually ends up factoring in. probably the last shin-chan movie i'd recommend that i've seen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watched the 4K restoration of Akira in a theater last night and it was a really good time. It's certainly a landmark achievement in animation but I don't think the story is particularly good at presenting the themes it wants to examine outside of the visuals. The best part about the actual dialogue in the film is how Kaneda acts exactly like you'd expect a teenager to act. The film gets incredibly brutal but Kaneda is always fun to watch and give the film some much needed levity. But part of that comes from Kaneda being properly developed while anyone else not named Tetsuo or the Colonel doesn't really get much to explore their character.

7/10, would watch in a Covid Box again. Wish the story could have been better but as a visual experience it's unparalleled.

I do want to seek out more 80s films and OVAs so I can wallow in what anime used to look like.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 28, 2022

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ride Your Wave was good, excellent water animation, a bit too sappily sad and ordinary for a Yuasa project though.

Fortune Favors Lady Nikuko is a beautiful looking movie that works pretty well. The kind of film that would definitely not be made using animation except in Japan, since the subject matter is very down to earth. But the use of animation allows for some interesting contrast between realistic and broad caricature animation.

Children of the Sea worked in the first half. Then it descends into madness but is probably worth seeing just because of how absolutely balls to the wall the animation is. Studio 4c makes everyone else look like chumps.

Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society is great fun, reminded me of Production IG's golden age. Nowadays Kamiyama's directorial career has him doing some of the worst looking cg anime in existence, so it was nostalgic to look back upon a time when the projects he directed actually had visual appeal.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Arc Hammer posted:

Watched the 4K restoration of Akira in a theater last night and it was a really good time. It's certainly a landmark achievement in animation but I don't think the story is particularly good at presenting the themes it wants to examine outside of the visuals. The best part about the actual dialogue in the film is how Kaneda acts exactly like you'd expect a teenager to act. The film gets incredibly brutal but Kaneda is always fun to watch and give the film some much needed levity. But part of that comes from Kaneda being properly developed while anyone else not named Tetsuo or the Colonel doesn't really get much to explore their character.

7/10, would watch in a Covid Box again. Wish the story could have been better but as a visual experience it's unparalleled.

I do want to seek out more 80s films and OVAs so I can wallow in what anime used to look like.

Akira cuts out a LOT of stuff from the original manga, the actual character named Akira is barely in the film. This is understandable because there is no way they would be able to fit everything with the runtime of a movie.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I never read the whole Manga, but isn't the movie a truncated version of the first one or two volumes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
First volume and a rough draft of the last volume.

It's unfortunate because the film brings up a lot of the themes and character motivations of the manga but almost none of them are able to be properly explored thanks to the breakneck pace of the second act. The whole reveal of the anti-government resistance being the work of one of the council members seems like it's trying to make a statement on corruption leading to self destruction but it isn't really examined outside of being "thing that happens."

"Thing that happens" is a whole lot of the film. It looks spectacular but the narrative weight behind it feels mostly hollow when most characters are only barely developed and ideas are presented and dropped in the same scenes.

On the positive side however the main thesis of the story does remain intact in the film and the parallels to the cultural and societal wounds left by the second world war are present. Facing an apocalypse of your own making and picking yourself up from the ashes to keep on living gives the film an oddly positive ending but it feels appropriate.

Kaori still got done dirty.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 29, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm off to the theater tonight to watch Ghost in the Shell.

EDIT:
Movie was really cool on a big screen. Large crowd of university students who hadn't seem the film before made for an interesting watch. Lots of people going in with preconceived notions and coming away confused when they discover it's a very talky philosophical film and not a high action thriller.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 17, 2022

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneanmise.

I didn't know anything about this movie other than it was made by a lot of the Gainax founders when they were in their 20s. Its an interesting film. Seems like Yamaga put all his interesting ideas into this movie and then just sorta dropped into the background of Gainax afterwards.

Its funny because the image I have of Yamaga comes from his money grubbing portrayal in Blue Blazes (Aoi Honoo) drama, so I wouldn't have pegged him as someone with such a big story to tell.

It feels like a lightly dramatized biopic of the first astronaut in a fantasy world. The guy first comes off like a shallow fuckup, coasting along in a department that doesn't seem like it has any chance of realizing its goal. But you can tell that there's more going on under the surface since he doesn't go for the available women in town but instead is attracted to the slightly unhinged religious weirdo handing out hand printed fliers all day every day. They strike up a sort of relationship which he tries to consummate in the one part of the film that made me very uncomfortable and seemed to be making sure we know he's also kind of a messed up guy.

All of the aspects of a mid-20th century world reimagined in a fantasy context is really well done. The food is different, the cups are different, the spoons are different, the outfits are different. This was all done to try to make otaku take notice of the world:
"Yamaga and Okada believed that this sensibility among some fans explained why anime often combined plots that "symbolize modern politics or society" with characters whose age and appearance was "completely incongruent with reality". The Royal Space Force plan proposed to use the creative techniques of anime for a radically different aim, to make "the exact opposite of the 'cool,' castle-in-the-sky anime that is so prevalent these days ... It's on our earth now, in this world of ours now, that we feel it's time for a project that will declare there's still something valuable and meaningful in this world.""

"It is essential to pay close attention to the smallest design details of this world. It's because it is a completely different world that it must feel like reality. If you ask why such an approach—when the goal is to get anime fans to reaffirm their reality—it's because if you were to set this anime in our actual world to begin with, that's a place which right now they see as grubby and unappealing. By setting it in a completely different world, it becomes like a foreign film that attracts the attention of the audience. The objects of attraction are not mecha and cute girls, but ordinary customs and fashions. If normal things now look impressive and interesting because they've been seen through a different world, then we'll have achieved what we set out to do in the plan; we'll be able to express, 'Reality is much more interesting than you thought.'"

Since the film was a box office failure i suppose they didn't succeed. In 2001, 14 years after Royal Space Force was released, Yamaga directed "Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden" which suggests that he eventually surrendered to the fact that most otaku don't want anything other than cute girls, mecha, and appearances incongruent with reality.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 19, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm off to the theater tonight to watch Ghost in the Shell.

EDIT:
Movie was really cool on a big screen. Large crowd of university students who hadn't seem the film before made for an interesting watch. Lots of people going in with preconceived notions and coming away confused when they discover it's a very talky philosophical film and not a high action thriller.

what the original animated one? yeah that one's awesome lol. it has some great action scenes but it's very much not an action movie so much as a movie that happens to be about counter-terrorist special forces

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ccs posted:

It feels like a lightly dramatized biopic of the first astronaut in a fantasy world. The guy first comes off like a shallow fuckup, coasting along in a department that doesn't seem like it has any chance of realizing its goal. But you can tell that there's more going on under the surface since he doesn't go for the available women in town but instead is attracted to the slightly unhinged religious weirdo handing out hand printed fliers all day every day. They strike up a sort of relationship which he tries to consummate in the one part of the film that made me very uncomfortable and seemed to be making sure we know he's also kind of a messed up guy.

I don't think that's the only reason. It's also key to the film's ending that the protagonist does something unforgivable and is then forgiven. In the end, his final message carries more than a little of the girl's religious doctrine of original sin, and that wouldn't work unless he internalized it, accepting that he is, in an important way, a bad person, and that nothing he can do on his own will atone for that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Larry Parrish posted:

what the original animated one? yeah that one's awesome lol. it has some great action scenes but it's very much not an action movie so much as a movie that happens to be about counter-terrorist special forces

Yeah. I've seen it before but it was years ago. It was fun watching the audience fall silent as they either started to vibe with what the movie is actually about or they just got confused. The audience correctly surmised that Batou is the best. It reminded me a lot of the time I saw Blade Runner 2049 in theater and some guy behind me stormed out because he thought the movie was bullshit and not what was advertised.

GITS is an odd film to become such a large cultural phenomenon. It's got some groundbreaking technology powering it to merge the digital scenes with cel animation, the audio is crisp, the music is iconic and the art design is superb. But as a cultural touchstone it's a very muted film completely focused on telling a specific story that is small scale yet high concept. It's not really an "event" film or a mega blockbuster, just a well oiled machine doing what it wants supremely well. It clocks in at under 90 minutes and doesn't feel any longer than it needs to be to finish its story. It's just a story set in a world and that's all it needs to be.

I think that's why it throws off so many people because the film's reputation and pedigree precedes it. It's still a pillar of the cyberpunk genre but like Blade Runner it gets hyped up as one of these life changing experiences and that can lead people to going "wait that's it?" when they realize how small scale the action and narrative actually are as opposed to the philosophical side.

I still think that SAC and 2nd GIG are the best ways to experience Ghost in the Shell because they take full advantage of the setting to examine the ways technologies interface with our lives and how crimes can be perpetrated in the future. The film is definitely worth the watch and doesn't need anything else but the show scratches the itch people could develop for seeing more stuff in the universe.

I need to watch Royal Space Force again, Bryan Cranston was surprisingly good in his early dubbing roles. Still not at all a fan of that particular scene in the film but at least it is treated as a horrible thing rather than an excuse for a leering camera exploitation shot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 19, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's even weirder because the manga, Standalone Complex, and the movie are all so good, in very different ways, while all meditating on the same philosophical themes. You get the more comedic manga, the more slow paced and meditative film, and the procedural action of Standalone Complex, and they're all good, they're all Ghost in the Shell, but they're not the same.

...And they all have much weaker followups, which makes things even more complex. The people who managed it once couldn't do it again, even though we have proof that it wasn't a one-in-a-million longshot. It's possible to do multiple solid takes on the material, but the direct sequels kind of slip up.

It's interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least Innocence knew that Batou was the best and gave him a big beautiful basset hound. I also think that the theme song for Innocence is better than Making of Cyborg. Adding just a bit more instrumentation gives it such a grand feeling and the callbacks to the original theme song connect the two. It's iterative of the original theme and it improves upon it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

I still think that SAC and 2nd GIG are the best ways to experience Ghost in the Shell because they take full advantage of the setting to examine the ways technologies interface with our lives and how crimes can be perpetrated in the future. The film is definitely worth the watch and doesn't need anything else but the show scratches the itch people could develop for seeing more stuff in the universe.

yeah i like the movie well enough and I respect it for what it is, but stand alone complex is basically an improvement in every way if you ask me. it's kind of wild that they're even pulled from the same source material because they don't have much directly in common beyond Section Nine and the general setting. they do share some themes but they go very different places with it.

also I'm a togusa stan, although he doesn't have much to do or say in the actual movie besides serve as the required rookie so the cast can explain things they should know.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I like the SAC tv series a lot. Which makes me so sad that the recent netflix additions had to ruin everything by going with Sola Digital Arts as the studio. The worst animation company in Japan. Even Berserk 2016 looks better from a CG perspective than what that place puts out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay I'm not a fan of the CGI look either but let's not say things we can't take back. 2016 Berserk is closer to Ex-Arm than the new GITS show.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The new GITS is just straight up bad. I don't think I liked anything about it aside from the nostalgia of hearing the English voice actors again.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the new one arise and the other 2 uh... mini movies? miniseries without the series? or did they crap out another turd.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

People continue to fail to realize Ghost in the Shell:SAC was good despite the source material not because of it. I suspect that includes the people trying to make new Ghost in the Shell stuff.

-Edit, yeah they crapped out another turd and put it on netflix. Its Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 and its really ugly CG.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 19, 2022

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the new SAC show is still written+directed by kamiyama its the same guys making it other than swapping out for 3d animation

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you're gonna blame anyone blame kamiyama going wholly into cg production

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can I blame Aramaki? Trick question I already blame Aramaki.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

the new SAC show is still written+directed by kamiyama its the same guys making it other than swapping out for 3d animation

Kamiyama is on like a 10-15 year ice cold streak, his Standalone Complex credit is well and truly spent

SAC2045 could have had conventional animation and it still would have been a completely misguided continuation, for something that's meant to be a decade after Solid State Society it sure does introduce an entirely uninteresting new status quo and regresses just about any character that matters

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm not sure Kamiyama's recent visual tragedies are the result of going into CG or just being saddled with the worst cg studios. He did a recent tv movie that is also from a bottom of the barrel studio with no resources. Meanwhile there are decent cg studios out there like Sanzigen and Kamikaze Douga, not to mention Orange, but he doesn't get to work with them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ninth Jedi is the best thing Kamiyama has done in years and I'd really like it if Disney hashed out a deal for him and Production I.G. to continue that story.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh right, so he did get to work with Kamikaze Douga on something with a decent budget. Hopefully the Lord of the Rings movie he's doing also comes out okay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched Steamboy this evening. What a fun movie! It feels like it falls into that same well as Ghost in the Shell Innocence where it's kinda stuck outside of the collective consciousness thanks to the pedigree of the big tentpole films of Akira and GITS coming before them and clouding perspectives. I remember hearing about Steamboy back when it first came out and then it vanished from the discourse when it turned out to not be Akira 2.

And that's a shame because it's a really good movie and good lord is it beautiful. You can tell it took ten years to animate everything because they were basically inventing the tools they needed to finish it. Steve Jablongsky's music is terrific and the English dub is overall excellent. It felt appropriate to watch it in English since it's set in England and I quite liked that they didn't skimp on the Manchester accents. It lent itself an extra level of authenticity I appreciated. Except for Anna Paquin. She's just not that great as Ray and she's stuck acting against voice acting veterans and Patrick Stewart and Alfred Molina. Those two absolutely dominate the performances and were the best part of the film for me.

I like how Otomo didn't come down on being pro or anti science and instead settled on the more rational conclusion that science and progress are inevitable and it is people who need to change in order to use it properly. Lloyd and Eddy's opposing viewpoints aren't inherently better or worse than the other and they both strive from good intentions. Lloyd's heart is in the right place in trying to keep technology away from warmongers and profiteers but his passion for that blinds him from seeing the full potential of technology when he's so hung up on how it can be abused. Eddy is the inverse where he's all for unfettered progress which can accomplish incredible advances for mankind but at immense cost of life. And then the villains who would profit from the steamball are rightfully treated as absolute scum.

It was also a good idea to break up the constant bickering between Lloyd and Eddy with Ray's journey to do what is right regardless of philosophy. He's only focused on saving people and using whatever means he can to prevent people from getting hurt. That's a very admirable quality in a person and it shows how he's learned from both Lloyd and Eddy and proven himself to be the ideal person to carry on their work. Plus he gets to do crazy flying scenes and chases and just generally be a fun and strong protagonist.

Scarlett could have been a bit more fleshed out but that's nothing new with Otomo's female characters. Felt like there were a few scenes to dig more into Scarlett's personal life that got left on the cutting room floor. She's vain and materialistic and it's pretty obvious that she resents not having a proper parental figure in her life but that's never really brought up again after the scene where she calls Ray out over his letter home. And that letter home plus Eddy saying he's been writing each month and Ray not getting the letters also feels like another scene that was cut. An explanation that the O'Hara Group had been stealing their mail and stifling Scarlett would have been nice.

I was also surprised at how funny it was at times. Not guffaw funny but charming funny. Like how Lloyd's original idea for the Steam Castle was to be a carousel and carnival except it was built on top of a steam steampunk Death Star. And yeah, I did like all the visual allusions back to Robot Carnival and Cannon Fodder. Otomo is allowed to reference himself and it was cute.

The credits were also a lot of fun yet ominous. Everything Lloyd and Eddy argued about came to pass because it was inevitable. You can't have progress without chaos and the world wasn't fully ready to accept the advances in science. The Great War still happened, and for every good that came from technology an evil brought on by man was there to tarnish it. But the credits weren't a condemnation, just an observation and a great ending capstone to wrap up the ideas in the film.

Solid 8/10 movie, would be a great one for kids to watch. It's a good all ages film.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 7, 2022

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Sing a Bit of Harmony - it was OK. Not sure if I have rose tinted glasses when remembering Time of Eve, but this feels like a bit of a regression for the director. I really liked some of the animation - the judo scene in particular - but the musical numbers left me cold and I didn't really engage with the main characters.

7/10

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just got around to watching Memories which is a feature from 1995 containing three shorts. The first; Magnetic Rose, is directed by Koji Morimoto (who co-founded Studio 4c) and written by Satoshi Kon (known for being Satoshi Kon). It's an absolutely gorgeous sci-fi horror about some space roughnecks who respond to an SOS call from a freaky sector of space, and their investigation into a derelict ship. The story and characters are great, the animation is top-notch, and the budget feels absolutely huge in this one. There's a bit of awful CG that I'm sure was impressive at the time, but overall this is easily my favorite of the shorts. Next up is Stink Bomb; directed by Tensai Okamura (Darker than Black) and written by Katsuhiro Otomo (things that aren't Akira), which is basically Mr Bean becomes a walking chemical WMD. This was pretty entertaining but somewhat bland until about halfway through, then the animation budget goes nuts and it loving rules. The last short is Cannon Fodder; written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. The animation style is interesting and reminds me a lot of the animation coming out of europe at the time, Otomo must have been looking into foreign styles for inspiration here. Slice of life on a family in a steam punk fascist dystopia. The animation did some interesting things with layering and perspective but the actual content didn't win me over. I was mostly bored but the animation did some cool stuff where it made it seem like camera motion.

Overall a fun watch, I would absolutely watch the first two shorts again, but Cannon Fodder wasn't my jam. I feel like if these were released as individual OVAs at the time and not a singular release they would all be more culturally relevant and better received. I honestly hadn't heard about any of this stuff until a month or so ago when I saw a gif from Stink Bomb posted somewhere on these forums.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just left the theater and loved Suzume, probably as much as Weathering With You and a bit less than Your Name. I don't know if this is a hot take, but I'm firmly putting the top-five anime film directors of all time as:

1.) Satoshi Kon
2.) Hayao Miyazaki
3.) Makoto Shinkai
4.) Isao Takahata
5.) Mamoru Hosoda

Shinkai's movies are just so goddamn pretty and funny and heartwrenching. If he works for another few decades and either improves or just varies his output a little more, I could see him climbing another spot.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kind of a rigged category since most good directors dont have their own studio and thus dont get the chance to make a bunch of movies

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 15, 2023

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’d put Suzume above Weathering but still below Your Name. I do need to rewatch Weathering to see if my complaints about it still hold up. I think Suzume ran into some editing issues where they really wanted to get it into a tight 2 hour runtime and it feels like the plot about the gods gets a bit murky because of it. The motivation just seems weird.

Beyond that, I love the travel sense of the movie. Constantly on the go and fixing issues, and it really is more about dealing with your past more about connecting with someone else, but that’s in there because it’s Shinkai. People rag on him for telling the same themes which I think is fair as I think he is guilty of that, but I think Suzume was a pretty good attempt to try and do something new, while being familiar.

I really liked it. I want to watch it again.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just watched Suzume, I really liked it, and it hit the important emotional beats just right, but didn't feel quite as tightly plotted as Your Name. The entire first half of the movie definitely has the feeling of "waiting around for the actual plot to start". Needless to say it is incredibly gorgeous and the visuals don't let up.

As an aside is this the first Shinkai movie where the girl is rescuing the dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm looking forward to seeing Suzume but I didn't love Weathering with You. The intrusive score played a big part in undermining it for me. It was still utterly gorgeous, of course.