Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is the consensus that Book Smart was bad? I thought it was quite bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Predator is a film where a character’s death was edited into the movie in post and that’s really all that needs to be said about it.

porfiria posted:

It was very beloved at release, and I got some fire for trashing it, but I’ve seen public opinion on it slowly turn around the further we get from release.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Happy New Year, motherfuckers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Jet posted:

The Predator is a film where a character’s death was edited into the movie in post and that’s really all that needs to be said about it.

...which one I genuinely cannot tell. And not in a good way

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

porfiria posted:

I haven't heard anyone speak against it, except being kinda samey as a lot of movies, just a lot of people never watched it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Burkion posted:

...which one I genuinely cannot tell. And not in a good way

Sterling Brown’s character, the guy who accidentally kills himself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The Predator was the one that revealed that the Predators hunted so they could get DNA from the most powerful hunters in the world; autistic people, right?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

What the gently caress. Apparently he’s been dead for two
months.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The Predator was the one that revealed that the Predators hunted so they could get DNA from the most powerful hunters in the world; autistic people, right?

yes because autism was the next step in human evolution

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Predator was stunningly bad. I was kind of impressed.

Wasn't it another one of those lovely "Autism is a super power!" bullshit? Because that's what I heard.

e:fb

I've got the tisms and let me tell you, I'm real sick of Hollywood portraying it as a super power. It actually really sucks. And not a super power, unless you consider social isolation and growing up having everyone mad at you because they think you're rude and you can't understand why people are angry a loving advantage.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 1, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Just loving look at this:

THIS IS NOT HOW THE gently caress IT WORKS OR WHAT IT FEELS LIKE AND PEOPLE ON THE SPECTRUM DON'T TALK LIKE DALEKS.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Let's not get bogged down in the hack job editing or the terrible lore or the awful depiction of autism.

We should also mention that The Predator had absolutely god awful dialogue that made every character absurdly unlikable.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

all autistic people really need is some pred tech so they can laser blast a bullys head off~ the predator

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

We should also mention that The Predator had absolutely god awful dialogue that made every character absurdly unlikable.

Tbf that's staying true to the series, black ops and LA police ain't exactly good people

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Blood Boils posted:

Tbf that's staying true to the series, black ops and LA police ain't exactly good people

Yeah it felt like it was trying to recreate the dynamic of the first Predator, with all these tough alpha guys doing bantz, but completely hosed it up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

all autistic people really need is some pred tech so they can laser blast a bullys head off~ the predator

I will take some lasers right fuckin now.

I'm not going to wear the fishnets. Don't even ask.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Just loving look at this:

THIS IS NOT HOW THE gently caress IT WORKS OR WHAT IT FEELS LIKE AND PEOPLE ON THE SPECTRUM DON'T TALK LIKE DALEKS.

Have you seen the Netflix show Atypical? I liked it but haven't heard much about it from people on the spectrum or who work with people on the spectrum.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPL593H posted:

Wasn't it another one of those lovely "Autism is a super power!" bullshit? Because that's what I heard.

e:fb

I've got the tisms and let me tell you, I'm real sick of Hollywood portraying it as a super power. It actually really sucks. And not a super power, unless you consider social isolation and growing up having everyone mad at you because they think you're rude and you can't understand why people are angry a loving advantage.

What's your opinion of I am Sam

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I will take some lasers right fuckin now.

I'm not going to wear the fishnets. Don't even ask.

cpl593h wear the metal codpiece

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shooting the film as a road trip movie then changing it to all happen in one day in post did not help The Predator at all.

Casting Jake Busey as the son of Gary Busey's character from Predator 2 was a great idea though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Have you seen the Netflix show Atypical? I liked it but haven't heard much about it from people on the spectrum or who work with people on the spectrum.

I like it. It doesn't do any of that stupid poo poo and is actually putting effort into portraying a person on the spectrum accurately. I'm not sure of the PC way of saying this, but I'm not as far along the spectrum as the character on the show but I definitely identify with so much of what's on there. I grew up in the 90s so they knew gently caress all about the spectrum and I was basically treated like an awful child by people who weren't my parents because I would ask questions about things very matter of factly. It's hard to explain, it wasn't a lack of tact or anything but rather a way of saying things that isn't necessarily considered socially appropriate. I didn't have the social functioning to know that you're not supposed to do or say certain things. Like an example. When I saw people carrying boxes I was always very fascinated with the idea of what could be contained so I would always ask adults what was in a box they had. I didn't know that was rude or intrusive. I also have an aunt who is a terrible loving person and I had to be with or around her a lot so when I did stuff like that she'd yell at me about it. So I'd just feel really bad but not understand why. There are lots of little things like that. You have a lot of odd fixations. Teachers were not fond of me a lot of the time. I have a lot more awareness as an adult and I still have odd and/or very specific fixations but they're based around different things than when I was a kid or I otherwise can sort of suppress that. But you don't just stop being like that it's all still there. I was in my 20s when I even knew what the autism spectrum. I thought autism was strictly what would now be called low functioning autism. So when I was diagnosed and learned more about these things it explained my entire life and I was able to start working on these things. And it's hard work. You have to work very hard to just function "normally" (for lack of a better word) in social situations and in life in general. And there are still all kinds of different pitfalls I fall into. I'm very good at striking up conversations with people I don't know or at social events but I often don't know when I've talked too much and not allowed the other person to speak enough or otherwise just provide an excessive amount of information on whatever narrow topic. Usually movies or comic books or music or some such thing. I have an encyclopedic knowledge of these things. I use to also have a tendency to just dismiss poo poo I don't like if someone mentioned it because I didn't really know that's not how people interact socially. So I use to immediately tell someone a movie was bad when they brought it up and highlight all the reasons why often at length. Most people would just politely respond by not offering any commentary or adding "Oh I haven't seen that one.". I have enough awareness to basically do that now. That tendency made people absolutely hate me in high school. One time I walked up to a girl and said "Hey, I don't like you.". Her and her friends laughed. And then I said "No, really. I don't like you.". And then I walked away. A few years out of high school she approached me drunk at a party and was like "Oh my god, [my name]! I still remember that day you said you don't like me. That was awful etc". It was really awkward so I just said something about how I wasn't serious and I didn't have a problem with her (which by then I didn't). I know a lot of this poo poo does in fact sound like me being an rear end in a top hat but it's not. I'm not a mean person, I don't take pleasure in treating people badly I just didn't have a a filter. Where most people would just think a thing someone on the spectrum might say it and not realize why you shouldn't. One day I was in a store with some friends and a guy was looking for a CD to buy his son. So I walked up and asked my friend what the guy was looking for and was told it was the band Cinderella. My response was just "Oh. They suck." and I walked away. I have a lot of stories like these. Not all of them are things that upset people like that or whatever but a lot of it is just being somewhat socially inappropriate. There's a bunch of other poo poo I don't feel like getting into. This is just the social functioning poo poo.

So suffice it to say I get angry when media continues to portray autism as some kind of novelty.

The Klowner posted:

What's your opinion of I am Sam

I didn't see that and I have no interest.

banned from Starbucks posted:

cpl593h wear the metal codpiece

I didn't say I won't wear the metal codpiece.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 1, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Happy New Years to all you goon riffraff!

May 2021 find you and your loved ones all safe, happier and in good health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qQGTAwLhbY

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've never been able to figure out by opinion on the whole "Predators want autism" angle. It's like a three-way Schrodinger's Cat of externally finding it kinda offensive, internally thinking a race hyper-fixated on hunting would want something that results in even more hyper-focusing, and having a low-key message that autism isn't a Bad Thing that should be shunned isn't the dirt worst option.

Like, the fact that it's in the movie in question makes it all moot, but it's still interesting to ponder once in a blue moon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I've never been able to figure out by opinion on the whole "Predators want autism" angle. It's like a three-way Schrodinger's Cat of externally finding it kinda offensive, internally thinking a race hyper-fixated on hunting would want something that results in even more hyper-focusing, and having a low-key message that autism isn't a Bad Thing that should be shunned isn't the dirt worst option.

Like, the fact that it's in the movie in question makes it all moot, but it's still interesting to ponder once in a blue moon.

"Positive" stereotypes are still bad and offensive. And the movie and things like it aren't trying to normalize autism at all. It's setting apart the kid as some kind of aberration.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

As dumb as everything else in this post is, it's kinda amazing how you also don't understand Schrodinger's Cat hypothesis either.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Doublethink (triplethink?) would be more accurate

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

In this metaphor would watching the movie collapse the superposition

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

"Positive" stereotypes are still bad and offensive.

I hadn't thought about that, honestly, but I think it's almost interesting to think about what an entirely alien race considers Good Stuff and Bad Stuff. Aliens seeing stuff in humanity that lines up (or doesn't line up) with their own viewpoints has always been a little interesting to me.

CPL593H posted:

And the movie and things like it aren't trying to normalize autism at all. It's setting apart the kid as some kind of aberration.

It's been an age and a half since I've seen the movie, but isn't the throughline that, to the Predators, it was considered an aberration? Something they hadn't previously realized about humanity? I mean, poo poo, 80% of sci-fi is "we found something new, what do we do with it?"

regulargonzalez posted:

Doublethink (triplethink?) would be more accurate

That is why the post started with "I've never been able to figure out by opinion" thing. I mean, it's not going to keep me up at night, especially given how not-so-good it did in the BO.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I hadn't thought about that, honestly,

Do you regularly tell Asian people how you wish you were as good as them at math?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 1, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm going to stop you right here.

Just don't.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Happy New Year to everyone

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

"it is better to not post and be thought a fool, than to post and collapse the superposition that proves it"
-Abraham Schrodinger

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Do you regularly tell Asian people how you wish they were as good as them at math?

It's funny you bring that up, because my first exposure to that stereotype was my teacher in grade school having to explain to us stupid kid idiots (dare I say, kididiots) how we couldn't call one of our Asian classmates "The Human Computer", even if he told us to and lorded his math tests over the rest of us, because it was wrong/unfair/etc. We never did again, because if a Teacher told us not to, well, we weren't supposed to.

Dude brought it up during a reunion. Couldn't have filmed it better, with all of us collectively pausing to go "oh wow, we were stereotyping the poo poo out of you as a kid", and him finding it hilarious.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 1, 2021

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

happy new years you nerds, hope 2021 is a good year for y'all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The stereotypes of autism get super awful especially because if you don't live up to the superpowered stereotype, people literally go 'Oh, so what use are you then?'

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

MisterBibs posted:

I mean, it's not going to keep me up at night, especially given how not-so-good it did in the BO.

:bibs:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The stereotypes of autism get super awful especially because if you don't live up to the superpowered stereotype, people literally go 'Oh, so what use are you then?'

:capitalism:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the best/worst thing about autistic rep in film is that any character explicitly presented as autistic is almost always going to be a worse portrayal than "just pick any random character with intense interests, a code of conduct they always stick to, and one or more scenes that might, if you kinda squint, suggest they might have sensory processing issues"

like this, right here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmqYbkUEek

x-ray vision aside, this is more authentic than anything Big Bang Theory or Sherlock ever did and it's probably not even what they were going for

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm kinda annoyed we never got another Henry Cavill Superman movie. That's not a "I'm pretending other Zack Snyder films don't exist" thing, it's just they're movies that have Henry Cavill playing Superman, but they aren't Superman movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

At least we got to find out if he bleeds.