Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stalin-Chan posted:

Well yes, that's why I would support changing it.

People rarely refer to the forum anyway in conversation, it's just the fact that it's the actual name.

But what you've just said is people dont talk about the forum in conversation, and the actual name is adtrw, not a rape joke because we got rid of the rape joke about 7 years ago as a community.

Fundamentally my point is that its an answer most of the community don't seem to want to a problem that no longer exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Personally I don’t have a problem with changing it, especially if there’s a name that comes up that’s really funny. I just think it’s just kinda futile because at the end of the day people are still gonna call it either ADTRW or “the anime sub forum”

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
The problem exists, it's more of a question of what should be done.

To say it doesn't exist when multiple people in this thread have expressed that they no longer wish it to be called ADTRW is evidence of that.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Another Desperate Try, Redeeming Wretchedness

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm mostly a lurker and only post like twice a year, but I do think the original name for adtrw sucked and should be changed. But on the other hand, even when the forum was named vegeta I still just called it adtrw in my head and I feel like basically everyone else did too so maybe just changing what the acronym stands for is the best way to go. But on the other other hand whoever suggested renaming it the Anime Web Turnpike made me laugh more than it should have, so if it can't just be a change in the acronym my vote is for that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Keep adtrw and keep the tradition of secretly changing what it stands for a few times a year. Tying the name to a specific anime is lame as heck.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yeah, I'm not , like, crazy hugely attached to the name but even if you change it I'm still gonna call it ADTRW. I also imagine if its changed it will still de facto be called ADTRW until this dumbass website disappears.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I honestly just make a kind of abstract grunting sound when I see adtrw, I don't even consider it an acronym for anything it's just "aduhtraw"

also vegeta is rear end because I don't know why you'd tie your tractor to one shounen battle show when that's not even representative of a lot of people's tastes here (as much as I and a lotta people itt like dbz). it's a pretty diverse forum

if you're gonna make a reference to any specific show you might as well just call it the keionbu
Kindred Enthusiasts Interacting Online; Nerds, But Underappreciated

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
Partially I feel like it was called ADTRW because that was the culture of the early forums, IE really really really bad.

I mean you only have to go back to the early days of ADTRW to see all the really bad posts of people discussing their incredibly illegal hentai collections.

That kind of thing isn't tolerated anymore, so I don't think we deserve such a bad forum name. But yeah I agree that we can't control what people call it, it's a symbolic gesture.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Masterfully Animated Dramas, Often Keenly Aesthetic

Sometimes Worthy, Often Rather Daring, Always Requiring Translation -- Overseas Netizens Lambasting Internationally Newsworthy Entertainment

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Anime Devotees Tranquil Regarding Wrath

(I'm mostly posting these in hopes it will spark something that's actually good in someone else's mind)

The Anime Pit (subtitle: It watches the next episode or it gets the hose again)

Anime Fort (subtitle: yeah, we know the rest of the boards hate us)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Masterfully Animated Dramas, Often Keenly Aesthetic

Sometimes Worthy, Often Rather Daring, Always Requiring Translation -- Overseas Netizens Lambasting Internationally Newsworthy Entertainment
now do one for okaasan online

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Beato Believer posted:

(I'm mostly posting these in hopes it will spark something that's actually good in someone else's mind)

Beato Believer posted:

CGDCT: Comic Graphics Digital Conversation Threads

No joke I really liked this one.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

homeless snail posted:

now do one for okaasan online
no

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Cute Goons Doing Cute Things

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Being a little more serious, perhaps something that better describes the current forum? I think pure anime might actually be a minority topic in here, there's also manga and games and various associated goods/collectables, and just plain ordinary news stories about stuff that happens in japan. If we want to get rid of the horrible old jokes, maybe just being boring and going with something like "The Japanese media/stuff/nerds forum" would be the easiest way to eventually reduce the usage of the old title.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Otaku Culture

Do not do this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stalin-Chan posted:

The problem exists, it's more of a question of what should be done.

To say it doesn't exist when multiple people in this thread have expressed that they no longer wish it to be called ADTRW is evidence of that.

I don't see how a handful of people wanting a name changed means it's "a problem".

Multiple people don't want it changed. Does that mean changing it is also a problem?

I don't understand why there isn't even a poll. What is there to discuss?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't see how a handful of people wanting a name changed means it's "a problem".

Multiple people don't want it changed. Does that mean changing it is also a problem?

This is the idea phase not the poll phase

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Namtab posted:

This is the idea phase not the poll phase

I think it would have made more sense to figure out if people wanted a name change before figuring out what to change the name to, but that's just me!

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Should someone ask the malevolent overlords whose blanket of fear we tremble under relevant people if we even would be permitted to change the name if we wanted to?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Beato Believer posted:

Should someone ask the malevolent overlords whose blanket of fear we tremble under relevant people if we even would be permitted to change the name if we wanted to?

Both Wark and I give this thread our blessings, but we don't want to affect the discussion one way or another.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed. This is basically a thread to get an overall idea of what people think of the forum's name and potential courses of action.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Mods are cucked out

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I will still allow the mods one (1) vote each when we run the inevitable actual poll, because regardless of my opinion on the matter theres clearly a thirst for a vote.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Julias posted:

Both Wark and I give this thread our blessings, but we don't want to affect the discussion one way or another.

I knew that, I just wasn't sure you had the power to change the name without the higher mucky-mucks agreeing. Are there higher mucky-mucks? Do you guys stand (not alone) at the pinnacle of power? Should I stop asking irrelevant rhetorical questions?

e: our mods aren't malevolent overlords, they're kindly and nice overlords, because they're ours, not like those other forums

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

We should wait for any users destroyed by failed toxxes to return if they so choose before voting, in my opinion.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

We should wait for any users destroyed by failed toxxes to return if they so choose before voting, in my opinion.

Agreed. This isn't exactly an urgent matter that needs to be done asap.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I have some epic voter suppression ideas if you want to hit me up later

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

I would just define that as a problem that you choose isn't worth your attention, still a problem by definition, kind of off topic though. Obviously one outcome here is nothing gets changed, it's something that's being addressed none the less.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going to draw the district lines to group the shounen shoujo and seinen generals together

Penis Inspection
Jan 11, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sometimes that both reflect ADTRW original name, but also the fact that we've grown up and understand that joking about certain things is a bit gauche :

Consentacles

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Going to take an unusual stance for me and say that It's actually not a good thing for the name to be sex-related at all

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I wouldn't mind ADTRW with rotating names but it still calls to mind the original sucky name so I can see that being a problem.

I say:

Japanimation Junction
Or
WHAT IS ANIME?!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Weeb Webring

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Would you count Nicely Animated Mammaries, Titys and Baps as sex related

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Japanimation Junction

JoJo Junction

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Namtab posted:

Would you count Nicely Animated Mammaries, Titys and Baps as sex related
it abbreviates to NAMTAB, and that's about as far away from sex as you can get

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Animated Drawings To Replace Women was my favorite version.

homeless snail posted:

it abbreviates to NAMTAB, and that's about as far away from sex as you can get

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

yeah i still really like animated drawings to replace women