Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Solar Tornado posted:

It’s the giant cat that makes all of the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Thunder 3, the weirdest thing I've read in a minute.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

this loving rules

The absurdity of chapter 3 is just perfection

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
There are 5 volumes and counting, but with only the first 5 chapters in a language I can read. God I can't wait for more. Thanks for posting that panel.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

One of those sweet little cartoon boys is going to punch someone till they explode into Gantz bits and be scared forever until the next panel where he makes the Doraemon tongue out face and is fine.

awkward_turtle fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 20, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm curious to find out what the gently caress the deal with the aliens is. What do they send people to school lol. Like I assume it's something insidious, but I have no idea what.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
spoilers for The Faraway Paladin. just incredible writing and compelling characters. just unbelievably good villains. just wonderful, tragic heroes. definitely one of my favorite series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Let's Buy the Land and Cultivate it in a Different World
just a laid back "slow life" isekai, where the protagonist resolves most things with his absurd ability, I usually don't like those types but this one is so absurd about it that I enjoy it. more of a gag manga than anything, like the Demon King working on the farm, a Greater Lich becoming the doting elderly neighbor, the Calamity Dragon becoming a bratty adopted daughter etc

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

I love when mangas lose the tropes. One that I recently discovered is called Karate Survivor In Another World and the guy doesn't really practice solely karate but mostly MMA and does attacks from other styles.

It's also a less bright eyed Japanese man trying to be amazing but mainly just trying to survive.

It's like that one manga where Earth people are summoned to the world not to be heroes but to act as strictly city/town guards. The reason being is all world citizens that can fight are all off at a war. the people in charge do not want these Earth people anywhere near the war because they have no hat in the world's ring and will just do whatever.

In the Karate isekai, tropes are constantly being shattered

• MC is saved by a female town healer and they both travel to a city. instead of staying in a party, MC leaves her off at a friend's place
  • The big , angry man encounter at a guild starts off normally but the MC bootlicks the guy with compliments to the point the big guy starts blushing and smiling.
  • MC actually joins the party of the big angry guy but while in the party they are as thick as thieves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the biggest divergence is that him being an outsider with no roots or social standing in this world is a constant detriment

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Villainess Level 99 ~I May Be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord~

it's getting an anime this season

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

FWIW, not only is the anime already airing, episode 3 came out today with that very scene in it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Marriagetoxin

mostly for the "hang in there, Ureshino-san" comic

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Ok but how does he not get stabbed in the leg

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just watched this and liked the first 3 episodes.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg2UlYDswSc

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im going to watch the villainess anime

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

A jargogle posted:

I just assume it was really fast

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

A jargogle posted:

he has the [KARATE] skill and the other dud is just some scrub.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

this one started out odd and then went into subliminal horror and it's good

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Houkago Kitaku Biyori.

where the red fern gropes posted:

this one started out odd and then went into subliminal horror and it's good

As someone who read Gantz, I actually find it pretty cathartic. You see this impeccably Oku-esque art and these creepy alien designs and this formless dread opens up in the pit of your stomach. Then a child walks through a wall because she runs on gag manga physics and you go, ah, everything's going to be alright.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Houkago Kitaku Biyori.

As someone who read Gantz, I actually find it pretty cathartic. You see this impeccably Oku-esque art and these creepy alien designs and this formless dread opens up in the pit of your stomach. Then a child walks through a wall because she runs on gag manga physics and you go, ah, everything's going to be alright.

I look forward to the creepy aliens just being helpless against these invulnerable children with Super-man strength.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Then a child walks through a wall because she runs on gag manga physics and you go, ah, everything's going to be alright.

Oh thanks for explaining, I don't read gag manga so the reason why they could do that completely escaped me. It makes the genre juxtaposition even more interesting because it's being played completely straight

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Destroy All Mankind. They Can't Be Regenerated.

I just love the way they depict playing Karn, just loving dropping him from the sky to crater into the ground lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

Oh thanks for explaining, I don't read gag manga so the reason why they could do that completely escaped me. It makes the genre juxtaposition even more interesting because it's being played completely straight

It's strongly implied that it's less due to "gag manga rules" and more just "being a cartoon." As the boys explain in the earlier chapter, the realistic world feels like it's just "less solid" to them.

Like instead of being flesh and blood, they're just a perfectly solid object that is infinitely dense, only without the associated weight. And physical laws barely act on them.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Destroy All Mankind. They Can't Be Regenerated.

I just love the way they depict playing Karn, just loving dropping him from the sky to crater into the ground lol

I appreciate this translation group pasting in the English cards to make it easier to read, but it bothers me that they used jpgs of the cards and left in the white corners.

Also, if one were to paste in English cards for the whole series it gets rid of the fun detail of some cards being in English because they never got a Japanese printing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Is that a manga that is basically yugioh except its magic the gathering? rad if so

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Spookydonut posted:

Is that a manga that is basically yugioh except its magic the gathering? rad if so

It’s more slice-of-life, it’s a period piece about playing MtG in the late 90s.

It’s called Destroy All Humans, They Can’t Be Regenerated

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Spookydonut posted:

More or less, yeah. But there's no overt supernatural or sci-fi technology aspect to it, all the action scenes of the games being played (like Karn dropping into battle and literally transforming the mana rocks into monsters with his activated ability) are basically happening in the characters' imaginations.

It's just a slice of life story about folks playing Magic: the Gathering in Japan back in 1999.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's got an interesting twist in how the mc honestly isn't very good at mtg.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's actually kinda great watching him start off the series thinking he's hot poo poo because he's the best of his small group of friends, only to slowly learn over the course of the story that he's not a big fish in a small pond, he's a small fish in a vast ocean.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

To be a little fair to Xxx_cloud_xxX, he winds up almost exclusively meeting people who can compete on a national level.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Magical Girl In Her 30s

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
I do not trust that mascot. No, sir, no, ma'am.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

It's just a slice of life story about folks playing Magic: the Gathering in Japan back in 1999.

drat I know some people from back then who this would be the exact manga for. But i don't think they still use any of the social networks i know them on. Would be weird to receive a message from someone you hadn't talked to in 20 years, "hey so i remember you really REALLY liked that one card game back in '98, maybe you'd enjoy this comic".

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

STAR: Strike It Rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tomorrow, I will be someone’s girlfriend