Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

doomrider7 posted:

Hey guys, Kingdom of Quartz is pretty good and ya'll should read it.

Extremely agreed on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The Witch Hat Atelier replacement
It's noticeably reminiscent to Witch Hat Atelier not just in the art but also a number of story conceits and the main character's whole vibe, but in a way that makes the fundamental differences in approach all the more interesting to me. Unfortunately it won't help in terms of being a finished story because so far it only has 2 volumes out (1 in english) and looks like it'll be running for a while (unless it gets unceremoniously axed which... Sure hope that doesn't happen)

thetoughestbean posted:

Having read the first volume I have to ask: does it get, uh, better? Or at least more tonally consistent? Going from a demon just killed my surrogate mother and a bunch of kids I knew and also I have dark-demon powers to
time to go to the prestigious training institution, where I’ll handle the problems with pluck and spunk!
is a classic set-up in manga but the pacing of it made the third chapter feel like major tonal whiplash, and not in a good way.
It stays pretty tonally inconsistent, which I can understand not being into but personally actually like. Beyond being into tonal rollercoasters in general (random shoutout to Bang Bravern) here it conveys the sense that these characters cling to this sense of their world being an ordered and happy one as a matter of blind faith while also having to recognize that this facade can collapse at a moment's notice. One of my favourite aspects of the comic is the way it plays every emotional beat with a kind of operatic grandeur, so leaning fully into each whether sweet or harsh without spending time on tonally metering itself lets it lean into that strength more

I liked the 2nd volume more overall but I don't think it'd be so qualitatively different as to change your mind