Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
It’s kind of a shame, because I think mind flayers are... under-utilised. What’s the ratio of mind-flayer stories to zombie stories? 1:5000?

Okay sure zombies are very easily understandable and uncomplicated. But even the dumbest person on the planet has to quickly get bad vibes from mind flayers;

-Weird octopus face
-Slurps brains
-Psychically enslaves people

I think there are a lot of mind flayer stories that have yet to be told, but for zombies I think the same story has been told a thousand times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The manga starts with him as an established powerful sorcerer yes, but his backstory is that he was a slave used for magical experiments who suddenly catapulted up in power after developing one technique. So I do still think it counts as “guy who’s way more powerful than everyone else just because”. Yeah that magic stealing technique is the reason he’s so much more powerful than everyone else without needing the human sacrifices they all do, but it’s kind of a bullshit reason since nobody else can do what he does.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Why are Polnareff and Kakyoin there?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
There’s 3 guys top right who are just firing lightning from afar, so at least some of them are just pure mages. “Oh no, delinquent mages” is a fantastic line anyway and it’s a great panel.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

The premise does wear a little thin, but I felt like it had enough dumb gags and references that I was constantly chuckling when I binged it last night.

That being said, I wouldn't want this to be some 100+ chapter monstrosity as I don't think it can sustain itself for that long with what it's got. However if it can wrap up before it runs all of its gags into the ground I will have no complaints.

I thought the first couple of chapters were the weakest.

The whole sequence of:
-Getting exiled from her family
-Accidentally stumbling into extreme arcane power
-Heading to a nearby town to become an adventure and get a guild card

I must’ve ALREADY read 50+ times. And sure some of that is on me for having terrible taste, but it makes it impossible to care about the setup.

But some of the later stuff like accidentally taking over an evil cult caught me off guard.