Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Where is a credible site for lots of news on this?

I want stuff like death stats per infected, length of infection, symptoms, areas affected, etc etc. I've got a pregnant wife with a public service job and an 18 month old in daycare.

edit: I remember about 2006 maybe, everyone was going on about SARS and how everyone would die, and it was just a big wet fart as far as I could tell. And yeah a colleague was like, "it's not funny, my children will die!" when I made a joke about it. Now I suppose I'm that guy.

VVVV are you still going in to work? (lol)

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I have a colleague who is not dumb (master's in engineering) and her husband is an EMT. She never gets the flu shots because her husband has told her it's 100% worthless. She's sort of scared to admit it because she knows she'll get shouted at, but also she still doesn't get the flu shot. I shout at her about it.

The next 10 posts will concentrate on the part of this post where I said I shout at women.

edit, she has 4 kids

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

MorrisBae posted:

Every pharmacy around here has flu shots with minimal wait time and no appointments

Is it not like that everywhere?

I moved to the USA about 12 years ago and before that I was in the UK, before that South Africa. I had literally never, ever heard of flu shots before. When I moved to the USA I saw a lot of info about 'get your shots' and my work had a free shots day, and I went and sporadically got my shot/didn't get it for the next 3-4 years and since then I've gone every single year.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
FWIW I asked my friends in UK and South Africa when flu vaccines became normal/popular there and apparently the answer is around mid-late 00's.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've seen a couple of truly silly conspiracy theory posts about this virus in the last hour since I woke up. This is truly driving people crazy.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1230675095426871298

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

unpacked robinhood posted:

Doesn't matter since he needs to show up at the doorknob licking factory on monday

The USA doesn't have factories any more, so he works in a restaurant as the 'coughs in your food' part of the food prep.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
In case there are any doctors here, what exactly can I do? I'm recovering right now from a daycare-induced virus that took me out for about a week, and still coughing. What makes you less likely to be sick? I don't drink or smoke. I'm around the age where it starts affecting people. So what? I do cardio? Weights? What do I eat to be as healthy as possible?

edit: it seems regular 40 minutes of cardio a day makes a very big improvement : https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/6649/can-exercise-reduce-your-risk-of-catching-a-cold

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 22, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Imagine doing even a single bit of stocking up for this. We're all going to get it, just ride it out.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I went to a walk in clinic in CA 7 days ago, I'd been coughing non-stop for 3 days and I had been sick with a really sore throat for 8. I vomited on the third night, sounded like Dr. Girlfriend from day 5 onwards and had been sitting up to sleep for 3 days because of the non-stop cough. Despite all of this I didn't get body aches and didn't have a fever any time I checked, but when I went to the walk in they said, 'slight fever'. Anyway they didn't even bother to swab for flu. I've never been swabbed for it in my life. Also they just asked 'been to china recently?' when I checked in. I suspect people who haven't been to china are simply not tested for the coronavirus, which makes me surprised that anyone who hasn't been there ever gets tested for it, let alone tested positive.

Anyway, I asked 'what do I have?' and they said "it's a virus" so that was super cool. Anyway they gave me some extremely hardcore cough medication and it worked very well. I was able to sleep.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Sneak Lemming posted:

How do you convince your doctor to give you extra prescription medicine so you can stock up without sounding insane

I did this once. I went to a doctor and said "I get an ear infection any time I go diving, and I'm going to mexico to dive. Can you give me an antibiotic?" and he prescribed me one without me being sick.

I then got an ear infection and went to a Mexican doctor who gave me an antibiotic. I checked later and it was the same one I'd been given in the USA and I'd taken with me on my trip but forgotten about, lol.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Burn Zone posted:

Holy poo poo they didn’t test for flu? It takes roughly 15 minutes for them to find out the results

"Just go in and they'll tell you what kind of flu it is!" Is something I heard from a colleague who is in St. Louis, and many times online. I'm in San Jose, they never ever ever flu test me, lol. I think they don't want to waste the money.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

The Skeleton King posted:

Working in dental hygiene puts me directly in the line of fire to the point where I'm guaranteed to get the virus if I encounter a patient with it.

Do you get sick a lot?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just went to Trader Joe's in downtown san jose and it was loving BONKERS. I've never seen it this busy before. I didn't get anything frozen but checked that aisle and it was full of stuff more or less. My favourite meat (pollo asado) was gone but the stocking dude got some for me. It just seemed like a store that had been preparing for this, forever. The lines were all full and long but there was still food in there. I only saw about 2 masks though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
A journalist in Israel interviewed someone from that Japanese cruise ship when they got back to Israel because they were cleared. After the interview the cruise ship person tested positive. Now the journalist is in quarantine.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
The toilet seat bidets often have a self cleaning mechanism where you can make it spray water all over itself. When it's not spraying your bum it's ticket under the seat.

The sitting bidets: I grew up in a house that had one. It had an upward facing sprinkler and was perfect for washing junk and bums. Cold and hot so you could get warm water.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I got 3 masks with replaceable p100 charcoal filters for wildfire season and gardening. Apart from "masks do nothing actually", are these any good? Like this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Medium-Half-Facepiece-Respirator-6000-Series-Reusable/21779001

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
my wife works in santa clara county and the county sent an email with a pdf with a list of guidelines:
New Guidance for workplaces and businesses
Employers should take steps to make it more feasible for their employees to work in ways that
minimize close contact with large numbers of people.
Employers should:
• Suspend nonessential employee travel.
• Minimize the number of employees working within arm’s length of one another, including
minimizing or canceling large in-person meetings and conferences.
• Urge employees to stay home when they are sick and maximize flexibility in sick leave
benefits.
• Not require a doctor’s note for employees that are sick as healthcare offices may be very
busy and unable to provide that documentation right away.
• Consider use of telecommuting options for appropriate employees.
• Consider staggering start and end times to reduce large numbers of people coming
together at the same time.

it also has stuff for sick people, stuff for holders of large events, etc.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Stanford closed and became online-only as of like, Friday: https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news...-self-isolation

San jose state closed today and is becoming online-only in about 3 days. https://twitter.com/SJSU/status/1237186830711177216

Santa clara county just banned large gatherings (over 1000 people) https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/09/following-first-coronavirus-death-santa-clara-county-bans-all-large-gathering/

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Objurium posted:

So, some updates.

I had a sore throat that came out of nowhere and got pretty brutal since last Sunday. I've been managing it with otc meds and felt decent again by Saturday, but then woke up Sunday morning with full body aches and chills / fever sweats. My body seemed like it burned it out again by Sunday night, but the sore throat is back.

This is identical to what my boss had, and I got it ~2 weeks after we had a day long work roadtrip together wherein he was still coughing (but doing his best to manage it).

Supposedly he had the same weird phase where he briefly got better then got worse and it turned into a lovely cough. I'm not there quite yet and am hoping my immune system is tougher than his as it's generally pretty ironclad. His doctor confirmed he had an unknown viral infection but wouldn't test him for the Roni because his symptoms weren't severe enough. Mine have been obnoxious but not too bad. It could be something else entirely, I'm not sure 🤷‍♂️

Also the local Target was completely out of most cold meds (DayQuil and the like), toilet paper, and most canned foods, but I managed to stock up on soups and meds and poo poo about a week ago.

This is Southern California and it seems like people now realize poo poo's gonna get lovely.

I had a sore-when-you-swallow/sore lump sore throat as opposed to a sandpapered-throat sore throat about 3 weeks ago. The sore throat lasted 9 days. I vomited on the 3rd day (post-nasal drip + sore throat stimulating my gag reflex) and started sounding like dr. girlfriend from day 5-8, which was a brand new one for me. From day 7 onwards I had the worst nonstop cough and couldn't sleep because I was coughing so much. I went to urgent care and they said I had a fever but it was mild and it's "just a viral infection"but gave me the only effective cough medicine I've ever had, benzonatate. I'm in Santa Clara county and this started around Feb 12th so I don't think it was the Roni. Around the same time a colleague had influenza A and B at the same time, lol, he said it was bad but he got tamiflu and felt better quite fast (like within a day and a half)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I know someone who is a total hypochondriac. He's finally right, this is his time. He's doing quarantine and everything... But his s.o. is lying to him and going out to restaurants with her friends. He thinks she's just going for walks or something. I feel really bad for him, I suppose still a lot of people don't take this seriously. I'm cancelling all of my social events.

We're in Santa Clara county.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Inept posted:

My idiot landlord wants to move back into this house I'm renting at the end of our lease on June 1 "due to covid" and won't let us renew our lease or go month to month

jesus christ you moron. I hate her

Can you tell them you have it?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

shovelbum posted:

People talk a lot about masks and I'm sure they can't hurt but most of the ppl I know social distancing/"locked down" are still like having booty calls and boardgame nights and every dumb business is considered essential and old people are still quasi socializing at the stores every morning etc etc etc

Where are you? I'm in CA (Santa Clara county) and the worst I've heard of is a friend of mine who had been put on paid leave and is doing everyone's shopping runs, she'll text saying, "don't come outside while I'm on the porch". She also visits her friends and hangs out outside for about ten minutes talking while they are also outside about ten feet away. She has a home made mask because her flatmate got into making them. So yeah I think she's not doing anything wrong but my point is, nobody else I know is even leaving the house at all more or less. Some people are walking a bit more, that's it. No events.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in the bay area and haven't heard of a single person here with it that I know, or even a friend's friend with it.

A colleague is in Colorado and his over the road neighbor has it, and his mother just died of it, she was in a nursing home somewhere in the Midwest.

A friend fled NYC and went into quarantine in San Diego for 14 days and seems ok (yeah, I know, bad but I had nothing to do with it) He said "only crazy people walk around outside now in NYC. Also if you need any specific item you have to ship for it for 3-4 days in a row to be guaranteed to get it".

I know someone here in the bay area who has cancer and she insists on driving to her boyfriend's house to see him a couple of times a week. She has a roommate, the boyfriend has several. Boyfriend tried to get her to stop but she's like, "I have cancer. You need to support me." And screams and cries until he just gives in. Charming poo poo!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
We've been sheltering in the bay area for a while and I didn't know anyone with it, until (probably) today. My wife's dad in AZ has the symptoms of it, mostly just fever and feeling like poo poo but it's only been a couple of days. We spoke to him on the phone and sent him lots of family pictures. He's in pretty bad health so we're preparing for the worst.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've been slowly decreasing my weight from 243 a couple of years ago to about 217.6 now. Before this started I was 216 and it's slowly gone up. I got shoulder surgery so I can't lift at home, and need to spend a lot of time stretching. I've been gaining weight due to lots of weed. I think I need to just quit weed and go back on my diet and carry on stretching until I can lift again. I don't want to die due to being obese!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Rolo posted:

This is the maddest I’ve ever gotten at a tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1257741326650470400

He is making me sick.

Wait a minute... uhm... Is he on the side of the blue states here? This makes no sense.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

popewiles posted:

Stop quoting Nurge. I've got him on ignore but it doesn't matter because he's getting quoted a dozen times a page.

^^^Same

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Burt Sexual posted:

Clippers were about the cost of two hair cuts. If she does well, fuckmwaiting in line and driving a half hour to get a cut. Here’s a ten spot girl, thanks for the trim (she’s young).

A friend of mine said he tried to get like a #2 or something with a front thing and a fade on the sides or whatever and it looks super hosed. My wife has an undercut or whatever and I just buzzed the undercut and left the rest alone, but I think I hosed up when I offered to take off the #1 or #2 shield thing or whatever it was, and make a horizontal line on the back of her neck. That just looked lovely. It didn't take long to grow and not look lovely though.

So whoever it was who said 'don't do anything fancy, use a #2 all over' was correct

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
There's a travel ban in South Africa. Only a few countries are on the list, but USA is great enough to be included!
https://www.southafricavisa.com/travel-restrictions/

China
South Korea
Iran
Italy
Spain
Germany
The United Kingdom
The United States

Not sure why Germany's on that list, and didn't know Spain was a hot spot. But yeah the rest, sounds about right.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Unperson_47 posted:

I remember for the past decade people in America mocking people in Asia wearing masks so frequently.

And I 100% knew for the past decade that it would break their brains if they ever had to do it themselves. And here we are, doing the absolute worst in the world by every metric.

Yep for sure. There's an attitude here that 'the USA is the best country, bad poo poo only happens to other/poo poo countries (same thing!)', and it's just been luck so far that nothing like that has happened here. Well. Here we are.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
We have a friend in our social circle who is at least 60. A couple of my 30 ish year old friends are talking like, "let's meet up as soon as the lockdown is over" and he's like, "you'll never see me again until there a vaccine"

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I got some pizza slices in downtown San Jose on Friday and people were standing at tables outside eating pizza and drinking beer, six adults to a table . You're only supposed to eat out with people you live with but that's not the case. The San Jose reddit had a picture of people doing the same in San Pedro square over the weekend and someone said bars had been open and packed all weekend. That said... The students are gone, the gyms are still closed, etc etc.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Where are all of the "oh God what will happen when it hits the slums of <poor country>" posters, now that we've figured out that it's actually also the USA who is loving everything up and they don't have to look elsewhere?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Someone I know mentioned he was sick. I asked if he was ok and he said "oh it's just pink eye or something... an eye thing. it's better now than it was this morning", so I linked him to an article saying pink eye is a sign of coronavirus. He says he's fine today but I'm very suspicious! (I haven't seen this guy since March)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone got links to health care worker reports from Florida, Texas, Arizona?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Der Kyhe posted:

Beyond places that have stupidly inflated real estate prices, if you move around every 6-8 years when changing employer or apartment it is completely possible that you own the apartment, or most of it, at the time you are moving out.

Renting the old place out when moving with your new job to new bough apartment somewhere else is completely normal middle class thing to do in most parts of the non-metropolitan area Europe.

You'll sell the place when you A) move from your series of hovels into a nicer place to start a family or B) want to cash out for retirement. Or C) your combined family income is enough that you can actually buy the suicide studio in which you need to stay a couple of nights per week at the different city for work, or your children moves into one of the larger cities and needs an apartment that isn't shared-room student housing with a piss-reeking elevator and staircase in the bad part of the town.

I'm in tech in the usa (e.g. one of the supposed house-buying rich people) and the level of wealth you're describing here as a normal thing, seems like CEO/multi-millionaire wealth to me. I don't own any property lol.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Azathoth Prime posted:

By this logic, farmers are scum too.
As are the people who prepare food, build houses, or make clothes as their primary income.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

No, the equivalent to a farmer for houses would be someone who builds houses and sells them to people who need them.

Someone who buys them, doesn't sell them, and extracts money from owning them in perpetuity is not the same as someone who creates them and then sells them at a fair price.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I was wrestling with 'is owning a home in order to rent it out ethical or not' so I decided to defer to a friend of mine who is way more intelligent than I am, she has a Ph.D in Philosophy. She said "well, I struggle with that question myself as I own a house and rent it out. I think it's ok". She's compromised lol.

I plan on buying a house next year and will do so in order to live in it for the rest of my life, but so many people including the real estate agent have tried to convince me to also buy 5 other houses and rent them out to people, and no I just really don't want to be a parasite. Even if I do a good job like my current landlord who is actually a really decent person, I am still preventing other first time home owners from buying a house to actually own and live in, by removing these houses from the supply and driving up the house prices for other first time buyers who have spent years scraping and saving, rather than the own-20-houses landlords who just have to wait a couple of months before they can buy the next house with earnings from all of the houses they already own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's probably more ethical for people in other countries with less hosed up housing markets to be landlords, and it's also more ethical if it's not done specifically as a business: i.e.: 'buy more houses to buy more houses, to buy more houses, all to rent out' is bad and "buy a house for myself, but move somewhere else and buy another one, rent out the one I already own" is less bad.

I also agree that it's not dumb to think that "wait and see" when it comes to a vaccine may be a bad move. Vaccines can cause problems! The ones that are currently being used by people worldwide are fine, they've been long-term tested. I do want a vaccine for the coronavirus and will take one, but lol@ taking a vaccine that 10000 people were injected with, 3 months ago and 'they're ok so far'. I don't have answers for when I will think it's ok, I haven't done a bunch of vaccine research and am not a vaccine ologist, I'll make the decision when a vaccine comes out and I think we'll all be better informed then, well will be I hope. If 5 vaccines come out at the same time and one of them has been tested and approved by, for instance, a Scandanavian government and the other is from some company that is being pushed by Trump, I know which one I'll try to get and which one I'll be massively distrustful of.