Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

RaisinPower posted:

Sorry to reply to a question from like two years ago. I'm new to SA, catching up on the Buddhism thread, saw this on page 34 and wanted to mention dhammatalks.org. There is a pretty big collection of talks there that don't require youtube and can be played directly or downloaded as mp3 if you like. I haven't listened to more than a few minutes, but it seems legit so far.
I just listened to the first couple of the basics list, and I agree they seem really good! Thank you for sharing. I'm not new to buddhism exactly, but could definitely use guided refreshers on aspects like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I'm slowly making my way through expanding my knowledge of Buddhism. As I do so, I often find myself going back to The Little Zen Companion, a collection of quotes, puzzles, stories, and koans, many of which aren't even from Buddhists, but whose wisdom has been guiding me since grade school. In case anyone else finds it interesting, I wanted to share a couple here.

quote:

Before a person studies Zen, mountains are mountains and waters are waters; after a first glimpse into the truth of Zen, mountains are no longer mountains and waters are not waters; after enlightenment, mountains are once again mountains and waters once again waters.

Casey Stengel posted:

Good pitching will always stop good hitting, and vice versa.

Peter Matthiessen posted:

Soon the child's clear eye is clouded over by ideas and opinions, proconceptions and abstractions. Simple free being becomes encrusted with the burdensome armor of the ego. Not until years later does an instinct come that a vital sense of mystery has been withdrawn. The sun glints through the pines, and the heart is pierced in a moment of beauty and strange pain, like a memory of paradise. After that day... we become seekers.

Zen in the Art of Archery posted:

Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself.

Yasutani Roshi posted:

The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am here and you are out there.

Dogen posted:

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

quote:

The raindrops patter on the basho leaf, but these are not tears of grief; this is only the anguish of him who is listening to them.

Ojibwa saying posted:

Sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while
A great wind is bearing me across the sky.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I thought this thread would find this video interesting, or at the very least, worth talking about. It's about attention issues and how spoiler: meditation may help. It definitely comes across as dismissive of Buddhism, which is irritating, but it's an interesting perspective.

https://youtu.be/vYaNiC4kchg?si=x_zrkr8HJAE5_gYa

I'll also say, it's caused me to reflect on my own passive media consumption. As an ADHD person working 10 hours shifts at home, I find I have YouTube, a podcast, or an audio book running constantly in the background. Maybe it does more harm than good? At the same time, I feel like the drastic changes she makes would fall apart nearly instantly for me.
Yeah, I am very annoyed by all the "just meditate!" advice out there that dismisses any honest engagement with the spirituality or philosophy involved. It's not just silly superstition or whatever, it's an important part of the process that these modern self-help gurus are leaving out, to the detriment of many.

I wouldn't phrase multitasking media as 'harm' necessarily either, more that it may not be serving me and my path as well as more intentional, focused engagement would. That's a good point.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Achmed Jones posted:

true fact about buddhism: guru rinpoche is really good at euro truck simulator 2. an absolute legend

Nessus posted:

A Buddha could not have truly limitless compassion unless they will work also to liberate those bound by the karma of blasting ropes to Waluigi hentai.
Good true facts both.

It is a sad but inevitable truth that liberation does mean giving up such attachments as hentai, but compassion and wisdom will see us through.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
My book the Little Zen Companion has a section listing some masters' answers to the question "What is Buddha?" I think about it a lot when questions like this come up.

quote:

"Three pounds of flax." -Tung-Shan

"Dried shitstick." -Yun-men

"This very mind." -Ma-tsu

"Not mind, not Buddha." -Ma-tsu

"What is not the Buddha?" -Nan-yang Hui-chung

"The cat is climbing up the post." -Pa-chiao Hui-ch'ing

"I never knew him." -Nan-yang Hui-ching

"Wait until there is one, for then I will tell you." -Nan-yang Hui-ching

"A new bride rides a donkey, the mother-in-law leads it." Shou-shan

"When you utter the name of Buddha, wash out your mouth." -Zen saying

"Look within, thou art Buddha." -The Voice of the Silence

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

Does the bird poo poo have Buddha nature?

(not entirely a shitpost despite the literal poo poo content, I had wondered if this is qualitatively identical between living beings such as the bird, and non-living objects, such as the bird poo poo.)
I would also say it has a Buddha nature, yeah, living or not.

That being said though, it can be an enjoyable and meditative ritual to clean something like a Buddha statue. Not that they need to be "clean", but more that the effort and appreciation can focus us even better onto the path.

Wax on, wax off.poo poo on, poo poo off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I found another Little Zen quote that fits the earlier question, lol:

that stone Buddha deserves
all the birdshit it gets
I wave my skinny arms like
a tall flower in the wind

-Ikkyu