Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
My money is on Sabo being the final crew member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Sub Harrison posted:

It's odd to see Yamato join the crew with his intro/backstory being so rushed compared to the other Grand Line SHs, but it would be true Oden fashion to simply show up out of nowhere begging to come along.

This is the reason why I'm not as hot on Yamato as most people seem to be (considering how high he placed in the last popularity poll). Yamato was introduced way too late in Wano, especially when you consider how strong/important he is. The various elements of Wano have been building up for nearly a decade in real-time (if we consider Kin'emon's introduction to be the starting point), yet Yamato feels as if he was dropped into this arc right as it's entering its end game.

DeadBonesBrook fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 13, 2021

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Gin must have carried Enel back from the moon and left him in Wano.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Naruto part 1 was extremely strong. You could tell Kishimoto was starting to get burnt out in Part 2 when the artwork took a dive in quality. It still had some great moments/battles, but they were now flanked by bad stuff.

Rock Lee and Killer Bee carried the series for me.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

We all know what song was missing from the opening ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

maybe with a "dreaming, don't give it up (insert country name)" for all of the competing nations

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I wish he'd create verses for Robin, Franky, Brook, and Jinbei :(

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I assumed the Strawhats would go back to Fishman Island at some point as well and fulfill the big boat/small hat prophecy.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

When are we getting Scratchmen Apoo vs. Brook? I've been waiting since 2008 to see them fight.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

His name's Zolo, he's just like a one-eyed samurai

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I wonder if Kiku and Yamato are Oda's way of making amends for stuff like Ivankov's island?

I also wonder if this arc is gonna end with Law switching Kiku/Yamato's minds, which I think would also be a pretty terrible resolution to their stories.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I'm glad Apoo is still around because it means there's still a chance he will fight Brook in a music battle. C'mon Oda, you've kept me waiting since '08!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Law is a JoJo character who is trapped in the wrong manga.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Question - did the latest chapter match any of the spoilers in that supposed leak of the next few chapters? I never read them

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

oddium posted:

luffy's last fight will be with Gin

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I think it's obvious that King is a Charmander. Zoro should be fine if he uses a Water-type move to put out the flame on his back

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Arist posted:

You forget that literally everyone on the Grand Line is a genetic freak, and they're not normal

Kuina only had a 33 and a 3rd% chance of surviving the fall down the stairs.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Is it just me or did the artwork take a dip in quality in this chapter? Parts of it looked very sketchy

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I recently reread from Zou to Wano and two characters who overstayed their welcome were Ulti and Page One. They just kept coming back after the story left them behind. All of the other members of the Tobi Roppo are awesome tho.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

rannum posted:

side note it's fun how old a lot of the big players are.

Admirals, Kaido, Big Mom, Whitebeard, lot of the warlords (Doflamingo's almost like 50), even Blackbeard & Casear just turned 40.
Bege is one of the worst generation and he's 42

Just an interesting spread of ages you probably wouldn't expect at first blush.

Oda addressed this is one of the SBS questions - https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_82

quote:

D: I feel like One Piece has tons of characters that are old dudes, but is that just because it can't be helped due to the nature of its story? Or is it because you have the "I'll die if I don't draw old dudes" disease? P.N. Uhocilia

O: I love me some old dudes! I feel like age adds a new sense of depth to characters, both male and female. One Piece has tons of really interesting old people! But in the real world, age tends bring people down to a weaker state... and I've always disliked how there are some young people out there who just can't have a little respect for these aged individuals because of this. So with One Piece, I've brought to life one of my countless fantasies: which is for there to be super cool old people who've maintained their strength throughout the years.One day, you also will grow old. It'd be great if all of you could remain just as strong as the One Piece oldies are!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

The Luffy image on the Viz/Shonen Jump page at the moment is terrifying.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Did Law just use Gin from Bleach's stretchy sword attack against Big Mom? Gin reference baby

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Theory - I think Big Mom will be defeated and forced to flee with the remnants of her crew, but the point will be put across that it was because of Law and Kidd. Then a weakened Big Mom is killed by Blackbeard and his crew, who has taken over Whole Cake in her absence and secured Pudding (who awakens her Poneglyph reading ability), leading into the final arc.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

New Merphy video about the future of One Piece content on her channel now that she has almost caught up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxyTipBRgk

She's also going to start reading Hunter X Hunter

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Urouge is going to turn into a giant and put on the hat.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I won't stand for the One Piece rap being invalidated by Luffy being made of any other substance

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Larryb posted:

Has any show/movie EVER made stretchy limbs look good (or at least passable) in live action for that matter?

I'm picturing the One Piece Netflix show looking like a scene from the Generation X movie. In the 90's, there was an X-Men spin-off team called Generation X that had Jubilee and a bunch of new characters as members. One of them was called Skin and he had stretchy powers cos of his long skin.

They made a TV pilot for a Generation X show and this is what Skin's powers looked like in live action -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58HxWHb9f4&t=224s

His name's Wolverine he's just like a samurai. L-A-D-Y Psylocke's not shy. Cyclops' doing his marksman thing. Sunfire's cooking, Beast is doctoring

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

There was a trademark application for a game called One Piece Odyssey by Bandai Namco and Shueisha a while back, so it could be that.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Luffy has always been made of rubber it turns out.

How did that happen?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I've only ever been tempted by spoilers once in the past (the chapter after Whitebeard was stabbed by Squard) and never again! No more boring adventures.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Luffy's new power is turning into The Mask.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

As if they didn't already know Luffy had the gum-gum fruit. He's not exactly been subtle about being made of rubber.

Anyway Orochi is finally dead so chapter is good. Weird though that there is a big reveal of Luffy having a super special Zoan fruit that's power is turning someone into rubber. Seems kinda unnecessary to make a big deal out of this because I think every reader would accept luffy having goofy cartoon rubber powers anyway.

I wish I had your faith about Orochi/Kanjuro being dead. Those guys just won't go away. I'm kinda mad half of the Joy Boy reveal chapter was spent on Orochi

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Eiba posted:

As a Zoan fruit, it apparently had a will of its own. The implication that the fruit managed to literally avoid the government is that it was also able to literally chose Luffy.

This is unambiguously a chosen one situation.

It's not a bad implementation. Luffy's sense of freedom being his defining quality is good. Luffy's power being silly cartoon nonsense that makes people laugh is awesome.

But what's bad about a chosen one plot the depressing realization that everyone else isn't chosen, and no matter how good someone else was, no matter how great their ideals or how big their heart, since they hadn't happened to eat one random fruit they're hosed because they're not the chosen one.

... Actually, now that I've thought that out, maybe that was Roger's story. He's basically Luffy and got to the end, but he's not the chosen one.

So maybe Oda's going somewhere with this, but I can totally get why someone's not happy with aspects of what this means.

I interpreted the Zoan's will as it being able to escape from harm (to what degree we don't know, maybe like a One Ring slipping from Isildur's finger kind of way), but anyone can still eat it if they get their hands on it. Someone on Shank's crew could have scoffed it before it reached Luffy. I didn't get the vibe from the translation that it had that kind of control, but it's too early to say for sure

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I wonder if there was a Buddha in the world of One Piece or if it's just the anime thing of people being able to summon a big badass statue of Buddha (like Netero or the First Hokage)

Bud D. Ha

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

The World Inferno posted:

wait, what if Xebec had the Gum-Gum fruit before Luffy? Feel like the timing might work well, given we know he was defeated at God's valley, but not necessarily killed there. He had the liberation spirit, but also had a cruelty Luffy doesn't, so whatever vision of freedom from the Dragons and what not he was proposing was more in line with Kaido or Black Beard where he was ruling over everyone vs. them being truly free. Feels more likely after this chapter.

I don't think I'd be happy with any character who lived during recent times having the Gum-Gum fruit before Luffy. It's one thing to say that its true nature had been hidden for a long time and people have only now just realized that it's something else, but it would stretch believability for no one to have mentioned the fact that X character had the fruit in the past. Even in Xebec's case, someone like Kaido, Big Mom, or Whitebeard would have mentioned/thought about it.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Merphy has done a special episode about the new chapter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUOIDttL0NU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Death Bot posted:

netflix live action luffy

He's going to turn into 4Kids Luffy. If Kaido gets hit with any poison suction cups, then he's a goner!

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

The Bandai Namco site confirms it's turn-based. Jinbei is also missing from the playable character list :(

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Not surprising, this has probably been in development for a couple years and Jinbei only joined like what, 7 months ago?

The manga chapter where he joined was released in April 2020. I'm guessing OPO was in development already at this point.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

There was a really bad Fairy Tail turn-based RPG on PS4 a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Usopp's doing that martyr thing.