Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Arist posted:

Warning you now, I’m gonna mark out hard like a fuckin’ idiot every time they hide a future Confidant in an early scene :haw:

Wrestling fans are easy to find in the wild based off the language they use :P

Also, really good job with pointing out the dialogue changes so far. It'll also be good to have as a reference, because when I say that they fixed a lot of the badly localised lines for Royal, people always ask for examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

There is so much new dialogue it makes it impossible to skip cutscenes because you never know of something different will be said.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Arist posted:

Apparently so!

Oh it's just a lot harder to see, never recall noticing it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Dunno if the nascent glimpse of You-Know-Who at the start of the game is completely a pointless non-sequitur. I mean, yes, its purpose, first and foremost, is to let the animators strut their stuff doing something cool and grant A Taste Of Things To Come... but it's some visual shorthand on the relationship to Personas and Shadows that I can dig. A Persona is a Shadow that has been accepted by its caster, if you will- the conscious ego, Jung had a special term for it that I can't remember-and given what our boy and the people he shall meet experienced in their conscious lives, they all have some deep dark Shadows that are probably at varying levels of Mementos and are probably going to have Palaces one day, should nothing be done. (Heck, one of them does have one.) The cutscene is an indication that our hero is at a crossroads- whether his Shadow remains a Shadow and starts staking out territory somewhere, or realizes that landlording is theft and gets himself a real goddamn job, so to speak.

Plus, it's kind of a cool cutscene, not gonna lie.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

resurgam40 posted:

The cutscene is an indication that our hero is at a crossroads- whether his Shadow remains a Shadow and starts staking out territory somewhere, or realizes that landlording is theft and gets himself a real goddamn job, so to speak.

By taking up Phantom Thieving? :v:

Actually nevermind, you're comparing it to landlording so objection retracted.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4HyDGQSHg

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

resurgam40 posted:

A Persona is a Shadow that has been accepted by its caster

that's every major Shadow that isn't Sae or Futaba though. where's my captain underpants kamoshida persona, atlus

this actually brings me to one of the less-discussed problems with p5: Shadows are inconsistent. like, Morgana says they still work like they do in p4 (""A Shadow is the true self that is suppressed—a side of one's personality they don't want to see."")*, but only Sae and Futaba's represent something more than what their owners are already consciously and gleefully embracing to the point of forming their entire lifestyles around it

*and even in p4 I think ameno-sagiri explicitly says in endgame the shadows aren't actually the true self

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It was the very first trailer for the game that showed actual characters, so they had to also include it in the finished game to get their money's worth I suppose. Though it's the first appearance of a persona and the metaverse navigator app in the game so it never really stuck out to me as a non sequitur.
On the contrary I kind of feel like it's a waste when a game makes an expensive pre-release CG trailer and it isn't included in some form in the game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

that's every major Shadow that isn't Sae or Futaba though. where's my captain underpants kamoshida persona, atlus

this actually brings me to one of the less-discussed problems with p5: Shadows are inconsistent. like, Morgana says they still work like they do in p4 (""A Shadow is the true self that is suppressed—a side of one's personality they don't want to see."")*, but only Sae and Futaba's represent something more than what their owners are already consciously and gleefully embracing to the point of forming their entire lifestyles around it

*and even in p4 I think ameno-sagiri explicitly says in endgame the shadows aren't actually the true self

In Persona 5 the shadow bosses represent the worst excesses of those characters. They’re the extreme versions of whatever moral and actively horrible action those characters are acting upon. To actually obtain a Persona one must confront or otherwise accept the shadow within, but also need to do so whilst acting within the collective subconscious.

It’s not that it’s the true self, it’s just the jungian name applies to a deep inner truth that the real person cannot face. So for Kamoshida it would be that his actions are monstrous and instead of the handsome successful hero he sees himself as in reality who deserves to take what he wants, he’s a vile monster who does that. The shadow revels in that which the real person downplays and disguises or hides from others.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
ftr I wasn't seriously trying to posit kamoshida not unlocking his persona as a plot hole or anything, I'm aware of how getting a Persona happens within P5 in both the Watsonian (only people who express a will to rebel against oppressive society get a Persona) and the Doylist sense (obviously only the protagonists get Personas, ain't no one want to play as a rapist teacher). didn't come through clear enough tho, mb

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s not that it’s the true self, it’s just the jungian name applies to a deep inner truth that the real person cannot face. So for Kamoshida it would be that his actions are monstrous and instead of the handsome successful hero he sees himself as in reality who deserves to take what he wants, he’s a vile monster who does that. The shadow revels in that which the real person downplays and disguises or hides from others.

yeah that doesn't come through in the text at all. it honestly just feels like they wanted to do Shadows in a new way and weren't confident in their ability to do that to the point of trying to convince the audience that it's totally still P4 rules. and if they wanted to make a clear distinction between regular Kamoshida and Shadow Kamoshida and claim that the latter is what the former hides even from himself, they failed

fluffyDeathbringer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 21, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Morgana states that the Shadow is what they hide from others.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Morgana states that the Shadow is what they hide from others.

But most of them are... not hiding it from others. That's what fluffyDeathbringer is saying, and it's the tone the game goes with most of the time.
There are a bunch of assholes who got into power. Except for one or two, They do very little to hide that they're evil bastiches. Everyone except the phantom thieves pretends not to notice.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The point is in the real world they still to an extent disguise their actions. Kamoshida puts on the show of being an upstanding coach. Just look at the scene where he spikes Mishima in the face, he takes a moment and then runs over to offer “support” act the part and goes back to joviality. Shadow Kamoshida wouldn’t bother with any of that and would have just crowed about how superior he is as Mishima lay dying from his golden spike.

They’re not hiding it well of course, because their corruption has taken deep root by this point. But they are still hiding their nature instead of totally flaunting it. Shadow Kamoshida straight up says he deserves all the praise and people serving him because he’s the king (former Olympian) but real Kamoshida never says anything of the sought even if he believes it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In this game you get a persona if you want to rebel against corruption, and you get a shadow palace if you want to perpetuate or gain from corruption. Theres probably a reasonable argument to make that in this game your hidden agenda towards society is your true self.

It could be that the difference is that persona 4's personas were derived from the characters repression of core aspects of their own personalities or fears, whereas persona 5 is less about those kind of internal conflicts amd more about a persons role in society.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Huh it occurs to me I never even tried to go downstairs after Sojiro first shows you your room. That's kinda neat that it actually lets you and has some dialogue.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I just started reading your P5 LP, can't wait to come back to this one when I'm done with that one!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 3: 4/10: Mental Shutdown (New-ish)

(I’m gonna level with you, this update contains no new scenes. However, Royal does make some brief additions to existing scenes here, so I felt I should note that)

This update covers Part 3 of the original LP.

Well, it’s been… six weeks since you looked at me, cocked your head to the side and said, “Good update, can’t wait for more!” And I’m loving sorry about that. I’ve been through a lot recently, but I’m here to deliver an (abridged) update at the literal eleventh hour of, what else, my loving birthday. I just want you guys to know I’m not dead and neither is this LP, and this update will hopefully jumpstart the part of my brain that feels shame so I don’t take this long ever again! With that said, let’s get back into it!

Video: Velvet Room

Igor “The Nose” Durante

These are the jokes, fellas.

Music: Aria of the Soul

So you’ve come to, Inmate.
The you in reality is currently fast asleep. You are only experiencing this as a dream.
You’re in the presence of our master. Stand up straight!
Welcome. I am delighted to make your acquaintance. This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter.

I summoned you to speak of important matters. It involves your life as well.

Know your place, Inmate! Who do you think you’re talking to!?
Still, this is a surprise…

To think a prison would appear as such. You truly are a “prisoner” of fate.

Abolish the carceral state of mind, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

In the near future, there is no mistake that ruin awaits you.

Haha, worry not. There is a means to oppose such a fate. You must be “rehabilitated.” Rehabilitated toward freedom… That is your only means to avoid ruin…

What the *gently caress* does that even mean?!

…Do you have the resolve to challenge the distortion of the world?

You didn’t decline, hm? Very well, that is enough.

Wait, no, I didn’t mean to—

Allow me to observe the path of your rehabilitation.

Ah, pardon me for not introducing the others. To your right is Caroline; to your left, Justine. They serve as wardens here.

…That is, if you remain obedient.

Take your time to slowly come to understand this place. We will surely meet again, eventually…

Time’s up. Now hurry up and go back to sleep.

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Ruin… Rehabilitation… What does it mean…?

It’s been over three years and I still cannot tell you for the life of me.

The school you’re attending is in the Aoyama district. It’ll take a while to get there by train. The transfers are a real hassle, too. I’ll drive you there, but just for today. Let’s go.

Early Morning → Daytime

Don’t get me wrong—I don’t care what happens to you. Just don’t cause me any trouble.

In my opinion, you’re nothing but a liability, but we had our circumstances to consider…

And what circumstances would those be, exactly?

Whatever you might’ve gotten away with in your hometown… those days are over. If you are thrown out from our school, there will be no place for you to go. Keep that in mind.

Here’s your student ID.

Okay, yeah, I admit this is pretty funny but I refuse to believe Kawakami is this loving stupi—wait, never mind, it’s possible for her to fall in love with Maaku, shutting up now

And, if by chance you cause any problems, I won’t be able to protect you at all. …That IS your promise, yes, Principal Kobayakawa?
He is responsible for all his actions.
But really though, why me? There should’ve been better candidates.
It was a sudden transfer, and your class was the only one that had an opening.
If you’re done explaining things, mind if we get going? I got a store to get back to.
Sakura-san, please keep a close eye on him. Don’t let him cause any trouble outside…
Well, I’ll be sure to have a serious talk about the situation he’s in.
Come to the faculty office when you arrive at school tomorrow. I’ll show you to your classroom.

That’s what having a criminal record does to you.

By the way… if you get expelled now, I won’t hesitate to kick you out. Got it?

Come on, we’re going home.

Music: Disquiet

I can’t believe they pushed someone with a record on me. A male teacher would be better suited for this…
Why in the world was someone like that admitted here?
Who knows? It was the principal’s decision. I was told that it’s for the school’s reputation.
I would’ve thought that my volleyball team has contributed more than enough to cover that.
That’s certainly true.
Be careful, okay? Then again, if anything were to happen, I’d kick out a student like that right away.

Still, that isn’t something I should be saying as a teacher…

No loving kidding.

Well, I should be returning to practice.
Oh, right. The tournament’s coming up, isn’t it?
Hehe, having such high expectations placed on you by others is quite a problem in itself.

Some lines were just too good to fix, I see.

We’ll have to work hard to make up for the track team too.
Yes… that’s true.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Dialogue change: Sojiro’s “Traffic’s not moving at all…” has become “Uuugh. Traffic’s not moving at all…”, and his expression has changed from “angry” to “defeated.” I normally wouldn’t bother pointing out a change this small, but they actually rerecorded this line for some reason, perhaps because Sojiro sounded a bit too angry. You can tell they changed it because The Incomparable Jamieson Price’s Sojiro voice has changed noticeably in the three years in between recordings. It’s not bad by any means, it’s just a little flatter, a little scratchier, and has less presence. Not gonna fault him, Papa Nier's always great in my book.

You’re taking the train starting tomorrow.

…… Now listen up.

…Yes? Hello? What were you going to say?

It’s not like anyone will be sympathetic with you.

What a troublesome kid I’ve taken in…

I was asked to do it, and I just… happened to agree to it. I’ve already been paid for it too, after all.

Wait… I thought from the TV quiz probation officers in Japan didn’t get paid. That still makes no loving sense to me, by the way. Though I guess it might just be Maaku’s parents paying Sojiro to take him in? “Here’s some money, he’s yours now.” Yeah, that tracks.

A subway train has derailed, severely affecting the timetable across all of—

So that’s why it’s so crowded. There’s been a lot of those lately. In fact, there was a real sad one just last month… It happened before you came here. If I remember right, the girl that passed away was only fifteen.

…All traffic around Shibuya Station is being redirected due to the accident, so drivers should expect jam-packed streets.
Oh, come on!

Did you spot the :siren: new content :siren: in that scene? Well, no matter if you didn’t. I’m sure it’s just flavor that will have absolutely no impact on the game going forward.

And… we’re done for today! Yes, I’m aware I barely did anything this time. Blame the brain problems that made me put this off for six weeks and the other brain problems that made me feel so bad about it I felt compelled to throw this poo poo together. Oh, there’s that shame! Welcome back, buddy!

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 2, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, I mentioned it in the update but again, I'm really sorry this took so long, especially when I have this little to show for it. I was pretty anxious and depressed in late April and early May, and by the time I recovered my ADHD decided it wanted a turn on the merry-go-round too, so I spent that entire month just bouncing around waiting for my meds to kick in and trying to stop reading loving Twitter all day. Not a day passed where I didn't badly want to work on this, but I ended up too distracted to really get anything done and wound up shelving this project for weeks at a time, dusting it off to make an extremely minor adjustment, and then repeating the process. I'm not saying updates will resume as normal, but hopefully actually reminding myself what working on something feels like will prevent any more absurd impromptu hiatuses. Thanks for your patience.

I'm also aware it's extremely loving melodramatic to do this on update three, but what can I say? I'm a huge dork.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It's cool take care of yourself first.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Take care of yourself, man, it’s cool.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This is just a hobby, man. An escape, if you want it to be. But none of it comes before your personal health. We all want the best for you.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Take it easy, Arist. Personal health is more important than Katsura Hashino's Wild Ride.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Arist posted:

Hey, I mentioned it in the update but again, I'm really sorry this took so long, especially when I have this little to show for it. I was pretty anxious and depressed in late April and early May, and by the time I recovered my ADHD decided it wanted a turn on the merry-go-round too, so I spent that entire month just bouncing around waiting for my meds to kick in and trying to stop reading loving Twitter all day. Not a day passed where I didn't badly want to work on this, but I ended up too distracted to really get anything done and wound up shelving this project for weeks at a time, dusting it off to make an extremely minor adjustment, and then repeating the process. I'm not saying updates will resume as normal, but hopefully actually reminding myself what working on something feels like will prevent any more absurd impromptu hiatuses. Thanks for your patience.

I'm also aware it's extremely loving melodramatic to do this on update three, but what can I say? I'm a huge dork.

This is effectively update 3+whatever the final update number from the original LP was, if that makes you feel better

besides, untreated ADHD is absolutely miserable as far as executive dysfunction goes, motivation is an absolute disaster and being human is okay

Malah
May 18, 2015

Taking care of yourself is in fact the correct move, even if you have to make strangers on a dead gay comedy forum wait a bit to see the results of your hobby. Call it "building anticipation between updates."

Fellow ADHD comrade here and I'm struggling myself at the moment. Great job managing to write an update that's mostly repeat content for us, and yet still kept me interested for the whole read.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Malah posted:

Fellow ADHD comrade here and I'm struggling myself at the moment. Great job managing to write an update that's mostly repeat content for us, and yet still kept me interested for the whole read.

(probably) :same:, don't worry about it!! brains can be real pains to work with. :)

also i could have sworn that the scene with the principal and kawakami + sojiro and joker was new, as is the one with kawakami and 'pe teacher'?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Seriously, you and your health first.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Booky posted:

(probably) :same:, don't worry about it!! brains can be real pains to work with. :)

also i could have sworn that the scene with the principal and kawakami + sojiro and joker was new, as is the one with kawakami and 'pe teacher'?

Nope, they were in the original. The principal in particular had some hilarious clunkers.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

As someone else who struggles with ADHD, I 100% sympathize with the feeling of having something to do, wanting to do it, but just... not being able to because your brain decided "Nope, we're doing something else today."

Like everyone else has said, take care of yourself first and foremost. The fact you went through the first game is already more than we could ask for, going through it again is just a cherry on top.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The conversation with the principal is different in Royal too. In the old one he says something almost totally nonsensical and it got cleaned up a lot and re-recorded here.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That bit where Kawakami hands you your student ID is redone slightly too to hint at her other job, which I think was something they took from the anime.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thanks for the support, everyone.

ChaosArgate posted:

That bit where Kawakami hands you your student ID is redone slightly too to hint at her other job, which I think was something they took from the anime.

Speaking of this, rereading the bit with the flyer in this update makes me realize it's not necessarily clear that it's new. Should I make more of an effort to point that out now and in the future, or do people not need to know/care about that? I'm cataloguing the script changes partially because I just find it interesting in and of itself to see what the localization team thought warranted a change vs. what did not, but I'm a little worried just saying "this scene where Kawakami almost reveals she's a sex worker, etc. is new" every time will feel kind of shallow and repetitive.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Very much this.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arist posted:

Thanks for the support, everyone.

Speaking of this, rereading the bit with the flyer in this update makes me realize it's not necessarily clear that it's new. Should I make more of an effort to point that out now and in the future, or do people not need to know/care about that? I'm cataloguing the script changes partially because I just find it interesting in and of itself to see what the localization team thought warranted a change vs. what did not, but I'm a little worried just saying "this scene where Kawakami almost reveals she's a sex worker, etc. is new" every time will feel kind of shallow and repetitive.

I think it's worth pointing out if only to really grasp all the sometimes-innocuous-if-random changes they decided to add.
Personally I find it just as interesting as them re-recording a few of the lines in terms of what they thought important to add or change around

How shallow/repetitive it gets is itself a commentary on the game kind of depends on the full context of the update & game, too. If you find youre just sniping at like 12 things an update every update because turns out they randomly added a bunch of lines for some reason yeah then maybe cut back on to just the important stuff/localization stuff again

Catalina
May 20, 2008

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think I'd point out every changed detail, maybe just stuff that's actually new?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't think I'd point out every changed detail, maybe just stuff that's actually new?

My point was, I'm not sure if it's clear that the little Kawakami flyer scene here is actually new.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Maybe just put an asterisk or something by any new/changed stuff that isn’t interesting enough to warrant further discussion. Saves having to make up umpteen hundred variations of the sentence “they added/changed this line for no obvious reason.”

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013

Arist posted:

My point was, I'm not sure if it's clear that the little Kawakami flyer scene here is actually new.

What about the way they did it for the tales of vesperia LP where they added a banner or icon to parts of the game that were changed for the PS3 version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

idloveaspud posted:

What about the way they did it for the tales of vesperia LP where they added a banner or icon to parts of the game that were changed for the PS3 version?

That might be the way to go about it, I'll think about this, thanks.