Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 178: 11/13-11/14: Transform And Roll Out

Anon: lol this place went to poo poo

Daytime

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Both until we steal the Treasure, and until we disband…
>Yes, we are all aware.
That was rude, don’t you think?
They never stop reminding me about how time works! I know time! I don’t need this!

Music: Tokyo Emergency

GAH

That, on the other hand, is a welcome reminder.

Oh hey, the Thieves’ Den updated. I know the apostrophe isn’t part of the actual nomenclature, but I’m going to keep adding it because it looks wrong without it.

Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Here we go, the Instant Spray Set! Goodbye, germs! Send them packing with this set! 1 Ultimate Spray, 5 Cleaning Spray, and… 5 Quick Spray! Am I dreaming!? This deal is too good to be true! But wait!? There’s more! Next we have the Meditative Set! The exotic smell will open your mind to a world of possibilities! 1 Nirvana MA, 1 Nirvana EN, and… 1 Nirvana LU! Impossible! Are you seeing these deals, viewers!?

The choice this time is between some incense or some items I didn’t bother to look up. I chose the mystery box, because Lockdown is pretty pointless to engage with outside of desperate minmaxing.

If you’re curious what those items I just bought actually do, they lower the battle parameters of enemies.

(DJ) Autumn is here, and the leaves have changed color. This season, the cool air makes me feel a bit lonely…
Stuff like feeling lonely doesn’t bother me anymore. I’m single and happy with my lot in life.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

The harvest moon has started waning already, and I still can’t find it anywhere… Do you mind getting me one if you find it?

What a coincidence, we already grabbed a Moon Dango.

Let me see if it hasn’t expired yet… No, we’re okay. Thank you! As always, you’re a great help. I’ll be sure to have something you’ll like, so let’s trade again in the future.

Jesus christ! Shut up!

Sis… No, I shouldn’t let myself worry about it… We’ll just have to wait and see for the time being…

Thank goodness. Is it okay if we study while we talk?

Nerd!

Priestess Rank 10: Part 140

Music: Sunset Bridge

Eiko and I made up. She came to accept that I was telling the truth. She just needed to be shocked out of her lovestruck daze.
I think that slap was plenty shocking, yeah.
Oh, shut up.
I wasn’t even trying to rib you that time!
Anyway, she quit her job, too. She doesn’t know what her future holds yet, but she’s going to go to college and figure things out. She’ll be focusing on her studies, just like me. So… thank you. I didn’t see a reason to continue my studies before, but you showed me a new path for my future. One of my own, not from seeking the validation of others…
I’m not really sure what I did, this whole ordeal has felt way more about Eiko than it has about you… but good. What did you decide?

My dream… is to become a police commissioner. That is why I need to study.

*Makoto*. What the gently caress.
Huh!? I thought you would be supportive!
Why would you think that!? One, that’s not our dynamic, and two, I’m not too hot on cops! And you shouldn’t be either, frankly!
Er…
Christ, when I called you a cop before it was a metaphor, not an imperative…
Come on, it’s admirable! My goal is to use the resources of the police to protect the downtrodden and catch criminals who currently go unpunished, like we do now! …Right?
Makoto, I get it. You’re trying to improve the system, and that’s admirable on its face… but it’s also very stupid. You’re not gonna change poo poo from the inside. Even if you try, even if the system doesn’t bend you to its will, you are going to get ground into dust by sheer institutional inertia. The only way this ends is with time, gasoline, matches…
I’m going to ignore the implied threat and just keep going on this. I need to do this to continue my father’s legacy. I believe in myself!
That’s nice! It doesn’t mean much, but it’s nice!
Thanks…
I’m never gonna let you live this one down, I’m telling you that now.
Yeah, I know…
I feel responsible for Makoto’s terrible decision…

Music: The Spirit

Music: Swear to My Bones

Music: What’s Going On?

For some reason, I feel like Makoto’s Persona just got much less cool…
Just remember… if you ever need my help, you can rely on me.
I don’t think that’s true, Officer.
Urgh…

We’ll have Evade Psy replace Masukukaja. This one was a hard decision, honestly. It was probably between Energy Shower and Marakukaja, but the real decisive factor was that we’ve had the Ring of Gluttony on Makoto for months now and it just gives her an equivalent skill. Maybe Evade Psy isn’t good enough to justify getting rid of Marakukaja though, because Gangnam Style fever was over a decade ago at this point I’m sorry, please forgive me, I couldn’t help it

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

Quick note: I forgot to check the jazz club, so I don’t have any footage of what this week’s skill is. Normally I would go back and rerecord, but I don’t care enough and it’s legitimately not worth it. The skill was Marakunda, which we’ve already put on Morgana, it’s fine.

Catching a cold is sometimes just fate, you know…

There’s something I’d like to ask you… Please have a seat.

Yes, please sit down.

Fortune Rank 10: Part 146

The members have been doing well lately, and my customers seem happy too! People have been thanking me a lot more, even the ones who get bad fortunes, because I tell them they can change those fates!
You’ve come a long way from that two-bit huckster wallowing in fatalism. I’m marginally proud of you.
Come on, be a little more proud than that!

I had a best friend in the town I used to live in… She was the first person I read a fortune for. When she started avoiding me, I read the fortune of our fate. It was a terrible result, but I prayed that it would somehow work out. However, that never happened… That’s when I started to believe that fate couldn’t be changed.

But it’s really no surprise… I didn’t take any action to change that myself. I haven’t talked to her in years… Maybe I’ll try to get in touch.
You gonna do another reading to check?
Sure, why not? …Amazing! Her fate and mine are connected now! I understand now that I’m not a monster or the Maiden… I’m just a simple country fortune teller, helping people find the conviction to change their fates… That’s *my* fate, anyway.
Glad you’ve found your purpose.
Likewise… Mr. Phantom Thief.
*pained groan*
Sorry, I used the cards to divine your true identity. It just seemed like you must’ve had something to do with the chairman’s confession… and you turned out to be the Trickster causing this massive upheaval. Don’t worry, I don’t care about your identity. I wish I could help you more, though… The fate of the Phantom Thieves is hazy, facing both heaven and hell… But I’ll do my best to guide you through this trial!
That’s cool. You got the winner for the horse races?
Grr…
Kidding, kidding! I have so much money on me right now, I don’t actually need to gamble.

I feel a strong bond with Chihaya…

“Clearly understand what other people are thinking”? Uh, okay.

Special Bond Reading highlights the response that will give the most Confidant points in red. Considering I’m just using a guide to optimize that, not terribly useful, but I guess if you’re allergic to doing that it could be handy.

There were so many weird cards gathered around the Trickster… you attract a lot of people with strong personalities, don’t you?
…No comment.

*giggle* The verification tests are over, but don’t forget about me, okay? Please visit again sometime. Goodbye!

Anon: they’re running loose rn…

Early Morning

Music: Everyday Days

Is this philosophy? I’m not sure if I like this writer. He seems a bit condescending…

I wonder if these old philosophers had many friends… They’re always talking to people, but I dunno… At any rate, reading about different ways of thinking must have made you smarter.

Maaku gains Knowledge +3.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

Geez… You all look like a bunch of dead fish. What was it? Your phone? Video games? I know you were up late. IK always wake at sunrise. On the other hand, kids these days… Hey, Hamiru! Are you awake!? Look at this map!

Tell me why that is.

That’s right.

However, what affects it most is altitude. So, excluding the outlying islands, the sun rises earliest on Mt. Fuji.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

That said, who knows when dawn will ever come for this country. The government and police are completely incompetent. Those Phantom Thieves need to be caught before anything else.
We’ll show you… We’ll show you who’s just.

Morning → After School

We’ll get Dressed in Ashes from the library. Not sure we’re going to have enough time to read it and The Hero with a Bow before we have to take a sudden leave of absence, but we’ll try.

Why do you guys do this to me?

How do you plan on passing the time until then, Maaku?

Yusuke duplicates Masukunda for us, but we’re not done with him yet.

Do you have time today? There is something I would like to show you…

You see, I entered my piece into Kawanabe’s competition. Moreover, it was accepted. The resulting exhibition is actually going on as we speak. Come, let us go. It is being held at the same museum as last time.

Emperor Rank 10: Part 163

Yusuke’s painting won the competition…

I still have much to learn, but I finally painted something that I can be satisfied with. Yes. This is the true heart of humanity.

The title is “Desire and Hope.” What do you think?

It’s better than the last one, but that’s meaningless coming from me, because I also liked the last one. This isn’t exactly my field. Anyway, congrats.

It was lacking something before. The light you see… is all of you.

(Kawanabe) Hmmm…
You…

Much better than last time… To think you could improve the same base concept this much…

So this is the answer you’ve come up with?
…It is.

Very good… “Desire and Hope”… Humans contain both beauty and ugliness. You understand that now.
Hm?
Forgive me, but it’s kind of sounding like you intentionally provoked my friend here with your comments on his last piece.
I apologize… but yes, that’s fair. I meant only to encourage you and ignite your competitive spirit.
Why, though?
It seems we’ve both been freed from Madarame’s chains.
Hm…?
Madarame caused me a lot of problems back in the day… He held a grudge against me for supposedly stealing his customers away, and prevented me from renting spaces for exhibits…

Yes… The heart of man is painted with desire, even if it’s coated entirely in black at times. However, it seems you have the strength to not look away from it, and chose to stand up against it. If only he had your strength…

Madarame and I went back a long time. We were classmates, then teachers at the same art school. Back then, he had a noble spirit, but he still wanted to aim for the top of the art world.

……
But in the end, even the art world has its share of politics… Those who are cunning win. Our hearts were stained black in that manner. But the human heart is a strange thing. It can’t completely separate black from white.

Are you trying to suggest there was some good in him after all?? Because buddy, have I got a story for you…

I was shocked when I heard that he took you in. He never liked children, you see.
Oh?
This happened just before we cut all ties from each other, but I got a call from him. He was panicking that the nearby clinics were closed and that his kid had a fever.
Sensei…

Okay, but let’s not forget that he—
Maaku, I would very much appreciate it if you would shut up. This is… a lot to process.
Noted.

I don’t want any more losers like me or misguided winners like him being born from this world. That’s why I started this foundation. So how about it? Would you like our support? *chuckle* Without the overbearing marketing production, of course.
It’s a truly kind offer… Thank you for your generosity. …However, I must respectfully decline.

Wait, what?

Huh. What makes you say that?
I am not Madarame. I won’t be stained by desire. After all, I can see hope. If I am lost, they will extend their hands. If I am wrong, they will chastise me. …As long as I have my rays of hope to guide me, I will be fine.

Aww…

…Hah. Madarame really did have a good eye. Hahahahaha!

You sure about that, man? Don’t deny the money on our account, I’m sure everyone would support you chasing that bag.
It’s all right. The support of all of you will keep me on the right track. Better that money go to someone who needs it more than I.
But…
Besides, you know how I tend to spend money. I would surely squander anything I was given.
That’s… fair.
I would be lying if I said I wasn’t conflicted about declining his offer… but contradictory emotions are natural when dealing with matters of the heart, no? Regardless, I apologize for making you deal with my troublesome self these past months. I knew you wouldn’t abandon me until it was all over, somehow… So, thank you, Maaku.

I feel a strong bond with Yusuke…

Music: Swear to My Bones

Now that I’m out of my slump, I need to make up for the time I wasn’t able to paint. …I reiterate my promise to you. I’ll extend my assistance to you, should you ever stumble. Now then, shall we go? In order for me to learn more about the heart, we need to work hard in our thief business.

Yusuke learns Evade Fire as part of his Persona’s second awakening, so we’ll sadly be getting rid of Tempest Slash.

After School → Evening

Although we have received many tips, we still have not uncovered any new clues. The police are considering rescinding the reward money and will continue their investigation.
They’re really treating us like we’re major criminals! I’m not happy about that one bit.

Music: Crossroads

You should wear a mask… Places like a crowded train can be dangerous.

Could you join me?

Ohya’s phone starts ringing.

Devil Rank 10: Part 146

(on the phone) Yep, replace the previous article. No worries, right? Might as well go all out if we’re gonna do this! I’m gonna scrap the others and rewrite them as well. Yep, tomorrow morning then… *hangs up*

Sorry, that was the chief…

Huh, you two are on good terms?
Somehow. He’s actually been really supportive lately. He’s been covering for me for the higher-ups and ignoring their orders so he can help my investigation.

I’m doing a special exposé on the Phantom Thieves, and the chief’s helping me. It’s about their origin and the root of the problem they’re trying to solve. …I think it really captures the spirit of journalism.

Sounds like you don’t need my help at all here.
Give me some credit, I was doing hard-hitting stuff for a long time before I got kicked down to entertainment reporting. Anyway, the higher-ups were against this exposé, but our readers have been loving it, so there’s nothing they can do about it, heh. We’re even planning to sneak in additional articles to capitalize on it.
Seems you’ve been successful. I’m glad. You do good work… I assume.
Wait, you’ve been providing me info all this time and you haven’t even read any of my articles?
Ohya, even if I wasn’t illiterate, I’m a young person. I don’t read the news.
You’re a weird kid… but enough of that! Let’s celebrate! Lala, I reserved a bottle of champagne down at the shop! Go grab it for me!
This is *my* bar, why would I leave?
Because I’m already so drunk I can’t see straight!
*sigh* Fine, I’ll go…

Glad she took the hint… I wanted to speak with you in private.
What’s this about? I don’t have any money, you can’t borrow any.
That’s not it! And I saw you drop your wallet the other day, it was full to bursting!
Busted…
In truth, I’ve been making preparations for a story on Shido’s confidant… I’ll uncover the truth, for Kayo’s sake. And it’s all because you encouraged me. I wouldn’t have made it this far without you… Mr. Phantom Thief.
Man… Well, whatever. So many people have figured this out by now I’m kind of used to it.
You shouldn’t be surprised, it was obvious. The chief’s heart changed in the same way as everyone else’s. And the timing was perfect. It had to have been you. But… thank you. I’m convinced now that the Phantom Thieves truly are a force for good… They live up to the legends. And you and I sort of have the same objective: to expose the evils of society. So don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone. We’ll form a united front and take on evil.
Sure, whatever you say.
In a way, you changed my heart, too. You made me a real journalist again. I’ll return the favor at some point, just you wait!

I feel a strong bond with Ohya…

This is a much better reward than in the original game. I can’t find any hard information on how this actually works, but my assumption is that the new version of Legendary Scoop allows us to ambush an enemy from any angle no matter what the Security Level is. Normally, we can only do that at 0%, so that’s very handy. I’m not sure if it synergizes with Kasumi’s Chaînés Hook, but if it does that’s amazing.

It feels weird that you know I’m a Phantom Thief and Lala-chan doesn’t… I’m gonna tell her when she gets back.
Whatever you want, kid…
*opens door* I’m back…
Hey, Lala! I’m actually a Phantom Thief!
Oh, honey… I already knew that…
Why is my life like this?

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Screenshot out of order.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Big fan of Yusuke's link. And dammit I want a full-size print of Desire and Hope on my wall.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's genuinely upsetting how bad Makoto's Persona Transform is. Like... why couldn't it just be A Cooler Motorcycle

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
At least have it actually transform instead of covering it in a flash of light. Sure it'd break the format all the others have but gently caress you if you're gonna make a Transformer, commit to the bit.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Yeah, and it should make the sound!

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

It feels weird that you know I’m a Phantom Thief and Lala-chan doesn’t… I’m gonna tell her when she gets back.
Whatever you want, kid…
*opens door* I’m back…
Hey, Lala! I’m actually a Phantom Thief!
Oh, honey… I already knew that…
Why is my life like this?

Did you seriously think you and your friend were the first Persona-users to have come through this place?
... what the hell's a Persona-user?
(head down on bar) Gnagggggg.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
A confidant with Lala would have been nice

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wait, wait, Ohya giving an useful Confidant ability? Are we sure your copy of the game isn't bugged?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Flair posted:

A confidant with Lala would have been nice

Lala-chan really isn't Confidant material.

the game lays it out pretty thickly that your confidants are your fellow outcasts and misfits who have lost their way and need you to help them rediscover how to trust/love/believe/whatever they're missing

She's not an outcast and she's already got her poo poo figured out, she doesn't need you.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, wait, Ohya giving an useful Confidant ability? Are we sure your copy of the game isn't bugged?

I won't comment on unused or beta stuff much but apparently originally, Ohya's abilities were straight up busted. Performing any "suspicious activities" like meeting certain Confidants, going far out at night, or infiltrating Palaces or Mementos would have originally increased a Seed of Doubt meter which, if filled too high, would prevent you from going out at night, then going out at all, and eventually just end in an automatic game over because the police rearrests you. Alongside the Security Level stuff, Ohya's abilities mostly dealt with mitigating this mechanic, with her level 10 disabling it entirely. Mementos requests originally also had deadlines attached to them akin to P3's missing people, and you could pay Ohya to extend a deadline once by about two weeks.

It's kind of unfortunate for her that by base P5 all of the mechanics her confidant revolved around helping with got cut (probably for being annoying as hell) so instead we just got the same ability but like 5 times.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Polderjoch posted:

I won't comment on unused or beta stuff much but apparently originally, Ohya's abilities were straight up busted. Performing any "suspicious activities" like meeting certain Confidants, going far out at night, or infiltrating Palaces or Mementos would have originally increased a Seed of Doubt meter which, if filled too high, would prevent you from going out at night, then going out at all, and eventually just end in an automatic game over because the police rearrests you. Alongside the Security Level stuff, Ohya's abilities mostly dealt with mitigating this mechanic, with her level 10 disabling it entirely. Mementos requests originally also had deadlines attached to them akin to P3's missing people, and you could pay Ohya to extend a deadline once by about two weeks.

It's kind of unfortunate for her that by base P5 all of the mechanics her confidant revolved around helping with got cut (probably for being annoying as hell) so instead we just got the same ability but like 5 times.

I was completely unaware of this, wow. Sounds really bad.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Polderjoch posted:

Something like that just toned down could have been an interesting addition to the game.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean it is interesting that you're running around causing all sorts of various chaos with you as the obvious nexus and in the final game this is just never picked up until the end when it requires a Judas Iscariot moment of betrayal. It feels like the ending cinematic alludes to this when Morgana steals the spark plugs from the car trailing them, you'd think after the very first palace someone would have twigged to the protagonist in particular and put you under greater scrutiny.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, plenty of people do twig on to Joker after the first Palace, it's just that all of them except Akechi wind up siding with you over the authorities.

It's weird how the plot never really draws attention to it, but the reasons you get away with being the subject of a nationwide manhunt while doing very little to keep a low profile is that the dozens of people who have information on you all elect to keep mum, and the police are staggeringly incompetent at doing anything other than Shido's bidding.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Now I'm wondering which Confidants would have raised doubt. Excluding Akechi since he wasn't a proper link in the first game, and the Twins, guessing that:

'Safe': Sojiro, Shinya, Hifumi, Mishima
Safe?: Takemi, Kawakami, Chihaya
Suspicious: Ohya, Iwai, Yoshida

The Investigation Team could be under 'suspicious' since well, you're not exactly very good at hiding yourselves... but I doubt they'd lock out hanging with your teammates.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
finishing four social links in two days just feels good, man

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

It's amazing how Makoto's character starts on such a rebellious high when she gets first her persona and its just falling down down down.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Now I'm wondering which Confidants would have raised doubt. Excluding Akechi since he wasn't a proper link in the first game, and the Twins, guessing that:

'Safe': Sojiro, Shinya, Hifumi, Mishima
Safe?: Takemi, Kawakami, Chihaya
Suspicious: Ohya, Iwai, Yoshida

The Investigation Team could be under 'suspicious' since well, you're not exactly very good at hiding yourselves... but I doubt they'd lock out hanging with your teammates.

Akechi actually was intended to be a regular confidant, complete with regular Confidant skills as well. Chihaya's ability to see future skills party members and confidants learn were two of his abilities (the graphics for this were different and still exist unused in the final game), and so were his party member abilities, and a chance to see the correct answer when hanging out with a Confidant. His last two ranks are automatic but bugged to always occur even if you didn't actually do his confidant. Aside from that that is the list, with the Thieves being mostly freebies. Stuff like crafting tools etc would have raised it too.

Some other standouts include Ann's rank 10 unlocking a disguise meter to let you walk around Palaces as a Shadow, Haru having all of Mishima's exp sharing skills instead which is loving awful, and Mishima instead slightly extending mementos deadlines, giving a redo if you fail a mission for whatever reason, and every other rank's ability just... unlocking more requests :psyduck:
Also, Sojiro's rank 10 ability was unlocking romances as an option.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Polderjoch posted:

Also, Sojiro's rank 10 ability was unlocking romances as an option.

okay this one makes a lot more sense than all women just automatically being attracted to Persona protagonists

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I like Anat a lot in theory, but I think it should have like... actively transformed back and forth. It's too much of Just A Guy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't recorded the boss fight yet so I don't have any footage of it but IIRC when you summon Anat in battle it actually drives up behind Queen in Johanna form and then transforms into Anat. This is extremely quick and easy to miss and it's still not that cool, imo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
After playing P3R (still not quite done with it) I will say that what I now really appreciate about P5/P5R is how much stuff you can actually do at night. At a certain point in P3 your nights are just like "well gently caress it I guess I'll brush the dog again, got nothing else going" and I don't remember that ever being the case in P5, even up until the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yep P3 really suffered in pushing a ton of activities to daytime, even with the extra stuff they added in Reload.

P3P was actually the best balance since FeMC had 5 nighttime links instead of the paltry 2 that male MC does.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 179: 11/15-11/16: Doctor-Patient Confidentiality

— DELETED BY ADMIN —

Morning

I wonder if the Phantom Thieves had a hand in that. Many of those shows had noble thieves and shady people. Given current trends, it may be seen as insensitive.

Oh gently caress, we’re about to get a bunch of horrible new fans who think that it’s anti-woke to be a fan of the Phantom Thieves or some poo poo.

Nezumi Kozo was one of the gentlemen thieves in the Edo period. According to one theory, he stole over one billion yen, making him the most wanted man of the era. Now then, Hamiru-kun. He was to be paraded through the city, and punished in a very particular way. How was he punished?

That’s right. One of the most severe punishments of the Edo period, in fact. Right before his execution, they did something to his appearance. They put light makeup and lipstick on him and made him wear a beautiful kimono. The parading around town of a well-known criminal was a sort of performance back in the day. The citizens wouldn’t have been satisfied if he had looked shabby.

I wonder what will happen if those Phantom Thieves get arrested. These days, it won’t just be their heads that will be put on display.
…People are having fun thinking about that, huh. I can’t take this…

Morning → After School

Did you need something in the meantime?

Everyone keeps saying that… You’re lucky you’re adorable, I’m not this patient with the others.
Huh!?

Sharp readers will probably notice that I keep loving forgetting to claim my vegetables! Well, shut up!

Those ones have done enough growing, so we can harvest them now!

We claim our Earth Beans.

We’ll then plant some Star Onions.

Hehe. I hope you’re looking forward to it.

That was oddly mischievous, considering we’re talking about vegetables.

The reason I actually remembered the veggies this time is because I wanted to spend this afternoon with Haru. Unfortunately, I forgot that we don’t currently have an Empress Persona, so we’ll have to make a quick detour to the Velvet Room first.

Hurry back to your prison!

Music: Aria of the Soul

The first thing we’ll do is reclaim our Barong from Lockdown. It’s been in there for a good few days now, and considering we’ve got about a week following the deadline where we won’t be able to act freely, we should pull this thing out of there before it vanishes.

Sweet, it got a skill to nullify its Wind weakness.

Less sweet is that, upon reviewing the footage, I never actually re-registered that Barong before fusing it with Skadi to make this Titania, so that was a complete waste of time and incense! Oops!

I will become your mask. Now, let us enjoy a midsummer night’s dream.

Titania is the high queen of the fae, wife of the fairy king Oberon. She’s derived from the character of the same name from Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, maybe you’ve heard of it.

Now, let’s head back to Haru.

Um, I’d like you to spend some time with me if you’re free…

Thank you. Let’s get some coffee while we talk… Oh, I know! Why don’t we try it at Big Bang Burger for a change?

Ah, I see. Always hustling, trying to bring in new customers. Smart, I respect it.
That wasn’t what I was doing… Also, you’re not exactly a “new customer.” Makoto told me you participated in the burger challenge “an unreasonable number of times,” in her own words.
That’s… accurate.

Empress Rank 5: Part 146

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Um, I looked into Takakura-san, but I didn’t manage to find very much beyond those initial rumors…

I had several people tell me he was known to complain about my father… and I had just as many tell me the exact opposite. I don’t know who I can trust…
Trust is a mistake in your situation. Assume everyone’s out to get you, and you’ll never be caught unawares! It’s the perfect plan!
You’re so cool, Maaku-kun…
That’s true. I *am* so cool…
But it’s getting hard to deal with Takakura san as of late… He’s been pushing the marriage issue lately. He seems convinced it will give both the company and myself support we need right now, and he’s even invited Sugimura-san to company meetings. I don’t want to marry him… but maybe it really is for the best of the company and its employees that I do.
Don’t think like that. You don’t owe capitalism a drat thing.
Maybe you’re right, I shouldn’t give up yet… But I’ll have to decide soon. Graduation is approaching quickly… But I have to thank you, Maaku-kun. Before I met you, I had never dreamed of not going through with this. I fully believed I would live my life the way my father wished, and my life would go by without that ever changing. If my father hadn’t had a Palace… Would I have still lived that life of resignation?
What matters is what you choose to do now, not in some hypothetical. Do what you want to do.
Thank you… For everything. Things would have been much worse for me if I hadn’t joined your team, in more ways than one. Just tell me how I can repay the favor!

I can sense Haru’s trust in me…

More veggies, nice.

*sigh* I hope someday I can just look out at the sea with a nice cup of coffee and forget about all this… And… I hope you’ll be there with me, Maaku-kun. We can forego the elephants though, don’t worry.

You read my mind.

Well then, shall we go home?

U-Um… I wanted to apologize for all the weird stuff I said earlier… You know how I talked about how things would have been if I hadn’t joined the Phantom Thieves? Once I started to imagine that again, this powerful fear came flooding back…

…Ow.

And so I’m indebted to you once again. I’ll have to work hard so I can repay you. Sorry if I worried you. Okay, see you.

After School → Evening

(Middle-Aged Office Worker) The challenging party’s got a lot of good politicians, so their chances were slim to begin with.
Now, after the psychotic breakdown stuff, people are putting their hopes in that one party leader.
Well, right now, there isn’t anyone better. Guess you can’t blame them for hoping.

According to a medical institution in Tokyo, the number of patients may rise even further next week.
The flu, huh? You’d better take care of yourself so you don’t get sick.

No. We’re visiting Wakaba’s grave. Be ready in three minutes.

Hierophant Rank 10: Part 147

Weird little detail: I never went upstairs, so Maaku never changed out of his school uniform.

It’s been a while since I visited Wakaba. I’ve been so busy with the shop… No, that’s just an excuse. Really, I felt guilty. I thought she’d be angry with me about Futaba…

But managing to bring Futaba here lifted that cloud… I can finally face her. I kept her waiting, but I’m glad I finally got to tell her about how Futaba’s doing… and about you, too.
Glad to be worthy of it.
Heh, where’s this sudden burst of sentimentality coming from?
Hey, I’m capable of being earnest… occasionally.

Huh… This is the first time the four of us are all together.

Sojiro? What are you smirking for?
Er… This is what my real smile looks like.

Well, stop it. You look sick.
Oh, it’s not that bad… but maybe practice a bit more before using that on customers.

Oh, I have some news. The family court gave me a call the other day. Futaba’s uncle decided to retract his report.

Be honest… you had a hand in that, right?
No comment. By which I mean, yes.

*sigh* I wonder if the day’ll come that she goes out to be someone’s bride. I’m sure she’ll make a fine lady either way. After all… she is Wakaba’s daughter.

May god have mercy on whoever steps on that rake.
……

*sigh* Do all fathers have to go through this anxiety…?

…At the outset, all I wanted was for you to help out at the store. But you showed me what’s really important in my life… protecting this family. And I don’t just mean Futaba. I know I’m not the most reliable guy, but come to me whenever you need a hand. I’ll always be there for you. And this may not be enough to repay the debt I owe you, but I’ll teach you everything I know. That’s what I can do… help you become the man you want to be.

I feel a strong bond with Sojiro…

Oh, by the way… if you get with Futaba, I’ll chop you into tiny pieces and feed them to that cat of yours.
And I’d deserve it!

What are you two talking about?
Nothing!
I hunger! Curry time!
Yeah, yeah… (to Maaku) Let’s go home.

Anon: what if they are LOL

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

We send the calling card on the 18th, then carry out the plan the next day.

Let’s have no regrets. This is our do-or-die situation. We don’t have the option to fail!

Early Morning → Morning

Music: My Homie

*intercom chime*
(Woman’s Voice) (Kawakami, duh) …Ahem. Ms. Usami, please come to the faculty office at once.
…What could it be? …Everyone, make sure to study on your own while I go to the faculty office.

So, what’s the plan?

We’ll read Dressed in Ashes so we can pick up the final library book later.

I feel bad that this girl is being bullied by her own family members…

The story was tough to bear at first, but I’m glad things ended well for the daughter! Even during tough times, she continued to enjoy life… I think that’s so attractive.

Maaku gains Charm +3.

Phew, that was close. Kawakami helped us get a good chunk of free time though!

Morning → After School

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

You know, maybe I’ll just let Akechi kill me so I’ll be free of this.

Music: Butterfly Kiss

It’s finally time to finish Takemi’s Confidant.

But it’s raining… so I may get an influx of people with colds. You came because you saw my messages, right?

There’s no need for a clinical trial. You came at the perfect time. Come in.

The girl that I’ve been treating is coming in soon. I want you to see how she is doing.

Death Rank 10: Part 126

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

(Sick Girl) Hey, Doctor, my friend said I had to let her “have” a boy I like because she liked him first. Is that true?
Not at all. She’s probably just jealous of you. I recommend teaching her a lesson by putting gum in her hair.
Hey, I don’t know if that’s—
Hmm… Okay! Thanks, Doctor!
I sense I’ll be changing a grade schooler’s heart in the near future…

Heheh… That girl seems to have made a near-full recovery.
You seem to have perked up lately. Maybe for the worse, if I’m being honest…
Are you saying you preferred me when I was depressed? Careful, casanova, you might break my heart.
Not quite what I meant… but also yes, I will admit scary, gloomy Takemi secretly kinda did it for me. Not enough to override the massive ethical concerns, and you still scare the poo poo out of me in ways that are profoundly *un*-sexy, but…
Uh… thanks? Back on topic, the new medicine will be completed soon.

Your data has been extremely helpful, due to your generic body type and bland health history.

Thanks, I try.

You’ve been a splendid guinea pig… I mean, participant. So, thanks again.

*shudder*

By the way, how have I been doing? Have I been helpful? …For your escapades with the Phantom Thieves, I mean.

*Silently stares at Takemi, stone-faced*
*Stares Maaku dead in the eye*
*pause* *breaks eye contact* poo poo. I’m 0 for 10 on my friends and associates figuring this out so far, I gotta be careful around Shinya if I want any success here at all.
So it was you, then… I’m not surprised. You were definitely lying about your entrance exams, and what happened to Oyamada was just too good to be true. It had to have been you. Well, it doesn’t matter to me. You helped me complete my mission, and even get to be a part of this community…

I bet the Phantom Thieves save people in need, just like doctors do, eh? So, I’ll go out on a limb for you. I’ll have even more powerful medicine ready for you… I trust that you’ll use them appropriately.
I feel a strong bond with Takemi…

For sale, super medicine, never used.

…I’m not gonna give them to you for free, though. So you better make some money in the name of “justice.”

Are you sure my insurance doesn’t cover this?

After School → Evening

This isn’t even news anymore…
I don’t care about politics.
Just arrest the Phantom Thieves already!
We can’t trust these incompetent politicians to do anything!

Anon: this site pisses me off
— DELETED BY ADMIN —
— DELETED BY ADMIN —
Anon: they’re def guilty
Anon: lol this place went to poo poo

How does a trip to the jazz club sound? We could chat a little.
That’d be the jazz club he introduced you to, huh? Do you want to meet up with Akechi?

[READ]

(Reporter) On these irregularly broadcast specials, we share limited-edition items that are all the rage! Today, we’re talking about the Angel Tart from the Taisho Store! It’s available till Christmas!
(Pundit) Oh, I love Angel Tarts. Even if I have to wait in a long line, I’ll buy them. When I see these on the shelf at the store, it makes me feel like Christmas is almost here.

…No. There’s no point sitting around complaining about it now. I’m sure you’ll be able to turn the tide if you just keep changing the hearts of horrible criminals. Oh, and I’ll do whatever I can to help you guys out.

By the way, I wanted to talk to you about something… Are you free?

I just want to relax a bit… Let’s head over to the park.

Moon Rank 10: Part 139

You know, I’ve been thinking about what Akiyama-kun said to me… How I’ve changed. For some reason, I couldn’t bring myself to run away back when I saved him. So, I was thinking why that may have been.

What’d you come up with?

I don’t actually remember much since I was so scared at the time… but I’m pretty sure I was thinking about what you would do. You put yourself on the line to stop Kamoshida and all those other villains… So I felt like there had to be something I could do.
Not bad for a guy who kept telling me he was about to piss his pants afterwards.
Can you stop bringing that up…?
You first.

You know… I’ve always wanted to change. I wanted to go from the dull nobody everyone messes with to the famous world-renowned hero. But you helped me realize something important. Heroes aren’t heroes because they’re famous… It’s because they fight for other people. Looking back on it, what I really wanted to change was the weak me. The me on the volleyball team who let wrongdoing go unpunished, even though I knew it was unjust… The cowardly me who looked the other way when people I knew were in need of help… …Tell me the truth. I only changed because you changed my heart, right?

Nope.
Huh!?
You really think I’d be here with you right now if I’d done that? Give me some credit. And give some to yourself too, while you’re at it.
Well, one way or the other, you did end up changing my heart, so it doesn’t really matter.
Just take the win, man…

All this time, I’ve been looking up to the Phantom Thieves, pretending to be a collaborator… And now I’m finally able to stop pretending… Truth be told, I had given up. I accepted that I was a zero… That my existence was meaningless. But I’ve learned. I may not be able to change the world, but I can change myself. Whether I sulk about my inability to do anything, or hang my head high and look to the future… My perception shapes the boundaries of my world. It all comes down to what’s inside my heart.

A tad overly poetic, but you got the spirit of it.

I might still mess up every so often, but as long as you’re here, I’ll be able to stand up again. So I may not be the best person around, but you can feel free to rely on me at least sometimes! And… no matter what the world says, I’ll be rooting for you… just like you were for me!

You know what? I’m going to find you an awesome request! That’s all I can really do for you right now… But I’m working on that documentary too. I even plan on making it into a book someday. I’d be anyone who reads about the Phantom Thieves would find the hidden courage within themselves. Maybe that means I can use that book to change people’s hearts!

It’s weird that Mishima is using the word “documentary” to refer to a nonfiction book. Seems like it’s probably just an awkward translation choice.

Okay, let’s not get ahead of ourselves now. Start by actually writing it.

All right, I’m on it! Oh, but before that… I’m hungry. Come on, let’s grab a bite to eat on the way home. Maybe a buffet…? Wait, no. We should save that for after I get all my book royalties! Heheh, you’d better be looking forward to it!

What’d I just say, man…?

Line Changes!!!!

In Haru’s Rank 5 Confidant scene, Haru’s lines “There’s also the contract Sugimura-san made with my father…” and “……” are now “……” and “We have a ‘contract’… Does this mean… it’s already too late?” Don’t really understand that change, to be honest. They flipped which line has the ellipses for some reason.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Really leaving Akechi til the very last day, huh.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

How does a trip to the jazz club sound? We could chat a little.
That’d be the jazz club he introduced you to, huh? Do you want to meet up with Akechi?

[READ]

unbelievable

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 180: 11/17: Dueling Personas (New)

Anon: id bet money on the arrest

Early Morning

Is this book really about cleaning? Or is it training you to become a monk?

Cleaning as a way to speak to your heart… I’ve never thought of it that way… Reading this book must have taught you how to contemplate and think more effectively, huh?

Maaku gains Proficiency +3.

Early Morning → Morning

Sine, cosine, and tangent. This is where a lot of people aren’t able to keep up. Why would you panic just from seeing a graph? I don’t get it. A complicated formula gets condensed down to a single line… Isn’t it simple and elegant? All of them have distinctive shapes that stimulate the imagination. Now then, Hamiru-san. Take a look at these graphs.

That’s correct.

There are many other graphs with amusing names. For example, a devil’s curve is called that because it looks like a Chinese yo-yo called a diabolo. There’s nothing particularly diabolical about it otherwise.

Some people may think of math as an enemy like a devil… …But there’s research that suggests that people who excel at math have higher incomes. If you’re shooting for a high salary, sometimes you need to be willing to fight demons.
Honestly, I feel like fighting demons would be easier than trying to understand graphs like that….

I mean, you would know, right?

Morning → Lunchtime

Would you mind if I joined you for lunch?

All right, let’s head to the roof.

Kasumi is half-whispering that last line, but at normal volume. It’s kind of strange.

Sorry to bring you here. This is something I oughtn’t really bring up around other people.

Music: Confession/Secret

…Lately, I haven’t been hearing any positive gossip about the Phantom Thieves. Despite how much people cheered on your cause—even thought they knew nothing about you or your friends… All they do now is speak ill of the Phantom Thieves! I know it’s not my place to say this, considering I turned down your offer to join and all… But this change in attitude is simply awful. They’re doing the exact same thing to you all that they did to me… Yet you’re still going to keep at it? Why, Senpai?

Take care of something… Mm. I see…

Oh, gently caress! The cat’s here! I totally forgot about you, man!

But don’t worry about us! There isn’t even a one in a million chance that my Phantom Thieves could ever lose!
I see… Well, I won’t stop you. However… could I ask a favor? Or rather, could you promise me something?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Once things settle down, I’d like you to join me somewhere so we can go have some fun together.

I’m already beginning to look forward to it. So… Please be careful out there.
*nod*
Oh, but I plan to keep my other promise I made with you, about the physical training. Tomorrow—is that too sudden? Maybe we should train the day after tomorrow, then?

Mm. I see. ……

Ah! I haven’t eaten yet!

No one wins a fight on an empty stomach, you know!

Lunchtime → After School

Let’s get that last book.

It’s great that you can think that way. I just can’t get excited about politics. But I still need to cover politics for the newspaper club. Maybe I’ll write about a popular candidate.

Frankly, politics just aren’t my thing. I can’t get excited about the elections, either… But I still need to cover politics for the newspaper club. Maybe I’ll write about a popular candidate.

I’m sure lots of us in high school feel that way. After all, we’re busy with clubs and studying. But I still need to cover politics for the newspaper club. Maybe I’ll write about a popular candidate.

I hear it’s a seasonal item sold only during the fall and winter!
(Foodie Girl) What is that…? I’ve never heard of something like that before… It looks like you’ve become well-informed about limited-time and seasonal specials, too… I now have nothing left to teach you. You are now a master, tasked with sharing your wisdom with others…
Oh, cool. Thanks… But what does that even…?

(Doting Father) Hahaha, it sure is packed with bean paste! Oh, and Grandma called. She said you should come over soon.
Yay! I wanna visit Grandma! Can you go, too, Dad?
You bet! I haven’t been to Grandma’s place in a long time.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

(DJ) I see Shido-san sometimes when I’m walking around town. I got to shake his hand! His smile really left a big impression on me.
I’ve been hearing a lot about this “Shido” fellow. I hope popularity isn’t all that he’s got to offer.

P-People of Shibuya… please… lend me your strength… The Sun God, devoured by the surge of darkness, remains confined in his holy place… Pray for his return! Send your well wishes to Yongen-Jaya!

(Aggressive Reporter) To be honest, I’m over this topic. Every station is covering it and saying the exact same thing. So we might as well stand out!
Still, if you don’t go along with their wishes, you may be…

Right, I should buy those stocks for a big payout next year!
(Troubled Woman) Is that more info you got from the internet? I thought you weren’t interested in politics.
We’re not even married yet, so quit nagging already! This one’ll work out. My celebrolution!

I want terrible things for you, dude.

There’s something I wanna talk to you about while we’re at it.

Okay, let’s play.

Tower Rank 10: Part 141

No, not like that. No. No again. Aim for his gun arm. I’m patient now, so I’ll wait until you get it right.

I’ve got nothing left to teach you. You’re an elite player now, Hamiru-san.

Really? So I’m as good as you now?
No. I gotta keep some secrets for myself, right?
Well, thanks anyway.
Thank you, too. With your help, I’ve become a lot calmer under pressure, since winning isn’t the only thing that matters anymore.

Hey… I invited some people here today. They should be arriving any minute now. Oh, here they are.

(Defiant Boy) So, what did you want to talk to us about?

I’m sorry for taking your money! I was being a real jerk before… Please forgive me. You don’t have to, but… I’ll pay you back as soon as I can.
(Quiet Boy) …Yeah, okay.
Really!?
Hey, can you teach me to play Gun About?
Sure!

(Takekuma) Hey, kid. Play me again.
Wow, everyone’s here today.

Hey, it’s the pro gamer…!

I’ve been bored without any worthy challengers? Have you improved since last time, or will you cry again when I beat you?
Kick his rear end, Shinya!
Um, sure, let’s play. It won’t go the way you think, though. I can stay calm now. I’ll pierce that armor of yours.

…So then, you believe the rumor that’s being told about me, eh? Well, a full display of my skills should put an end to that lie.

…What the hell!? I-I can’t even shoot!
…Take that. Don’t aim for the body… … And that!
…Tch! This is BS!
(Arcade Spectator) Whoa, the champ can’t even get off a shot!
(Loud Spectator) Takekuma’s about to lose! The King’s going to win!

It can’t be… I lost!? Mods! Mods!!!

Stop using that armor and start playing fair and square. It’s unacceptable to break the rules just to win, whether you’re an adult or a child. And if you don’t stop, I’ll tell everyone.
…No, I won’t admit defeat! I just can’t! It’ll be the end of everything!

Oh jeez, dude’s crying, there’s snot everywhere…

No it won’t. Your life will go on, even after you lose. But if you don’t change now, then it might really be the end for you. And then nobody will be able to help you. I don’t want you to go through that.

Shinya, it sounds like you’re saying he’s going to die.
Shh, I’m being dramatic.

…… Well said… for a kid… I’m not going to enter the tournament. See ya. *leaves*
…That was totally insane, dude! You beat a professional gamer!
The King’s the new champ!
No… I’m not. I haven’t won the tournament yet.

Sorry, what tournament is this? This has never come up before.
It’s because of you guys that I got stronger… so thanks.

…Everyone’s gone home. We should get going too.

I’m so happy… I thought winning was all that mattered… but it turns out that being nice is great too…
This is turning into a sappy PSA… but yeah, you’re right.

Losing wasn’t the end. It was just a new beginning. Through all the pain, and with your help… I was able to change. Now it’s my turn to help others. My mom, my friends… even people I don’t know.

So, what do you say? Is that enough to make me a member of the Phantom Thieves?
Maybe on a preliminary basis. We’ll talk about it when you’re a bit older.
I *knew* you were lying! I just knew you were really one of them!
Yep, I am officially the absolute worst Phantom Thief of all time, unable to hide my secret from an eleven-year-old. Congrats on figuring it out.

Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone. …… Well, this is the last time we’ll play together. There’s nothing left to teach you, and the Phantom Thieves seem to be having a rough time…

Thanks for hanging out with a lonely kid like me. I’ll do my best, okay? So do your best too. Now, put out your hand.

Good luck, Hamiru-san!

That’s my ultimate move, okay? Use it well!

…You’ve gotten really good! But you’ll still never be able to beat me! You won’t lose to anyone else though! *chuckle* I’ll be supporting you, no matter what…!
Interacting with Shinya has made my heart grow… I feel like my Kindness has increased…

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

Later!

After School → Evening

Once you send that calling card, there’s no turning back. Make sure you finish preparations tonight.

Topics of safety particularly how to deal with the Phantom Thieves, are receiving a lot of attention. The key to winning the election will likely be how the parties address this challenge.
Are they just using us as scapegoats? They really just do whatever serves their interests…

(Drunken Souse) Th-The Phannom Thievesh! They’re… They’re hereeeee! Pl-Pleash don’t kill me! I wanna live! I wanna live! Urp…
*sigh* Everyone’s so scared… I guess people would be worried since we haven’t caught them yet.
Do not worry! I, Shido, will lead you! Imma take care of ev’rything!

Hey, Yoshida! Hope you do well in the election!

(Elderly Office Worker) …You think so? I believe the final outcome is a foregone conclusion. The new political party will definitely win. Their leader is a master of media.
I see… Although it IS a national election, which is basically a popular vote…

A colleague is leaving tomorrow, and we want to throw a party, but we don’t have a venue yet…

Ha, poor Kawakami.

Haha… Perhaps it’s not quite appropriate, but… I confess I’m a little excited for this.

All right, we’ve blue-balled Akechi for long enough, let’s see what he wants.

It’d be best if we went somewhere where there aren’t many people around. How about, let’s say… Mementos? …Nobody can get in our way there.

Boy, it sure sounds like we’re about to be murdered!

Well, you guys are strong enough that you should be fine, but… be ready for anything, I guess.

…Be careful.

Music: Suspicion

Uh, Akechi, that didn’t really flow gramatically from what I said.
……

Side note: I like that Akechi draws the silenced pistol he later uses to “kill” Joker instead of his dinky laser gun. It’s very funny to me.

Your insight allowing you to determine my dominant hand, your quick wit, and most of all, how fast you’ve grown… You’ve exceeded my expectations in every way. Thus, I’ve built up this urge to duel you without holding anything back.

No need for pleasantries at this point, correct?

Music: Blooming Villain

For all his bluster, Akechi here isn’t too much of a real challenge. At least, as long as you don’t equip a Persona weak to Bless or Curse, which he can obviously target with Kouha or Eiha. He also has Megaton Raid, which is a Physical hit, and Megidola, which is Almighty. If you bring a Persona that covers the magic and can heal you’re already golden, but if you have the foresight to bring Arahabaki (aka “that mf who repels Physical,” as well as Bless and Curse), then all he can hit you with is Megidola, trivializing this duel.

He also doesn’t have that much health, so it’s not a big issue if you didn’t.

He did manage to knock me down once with a crit, but I still came out on top.

You’ve caught up to me on this front already, too…

Of course not. But, if we went any further, we’d both go beyond the point of no return, wouldn’t we? In all honesty, I’d love to see just how far we can go… But we have an important mission coming up. Until that’s finished, you’re a vital ally to me.

Related: if you lose this duel with Akechi, you get kicked out of Mementos and have to try again another day, consuming this block of time.

Music: Alright

As allies fighting alongside one another, your strength is truly reassuring. In all honesty, it’s to the point that I’d be relying on you in a pinch.

I’m sorry I asked you to indulge me, but I do feel a bit better now.

From this point on, Akechi has basically entirely dropped the human act. There’s no friendliness in his voice, he’s in full Black Mask mode. It rules.

I’ll let you have this win today—but next time, I will be victorious. Let this be my proof.

There’s a tradition in the West to throw one’s glove at their opponent when demanding a duel. Should the opponent accept the glove, the duel is also accepted.

Make certain that you never forget: I am the one who will defeat you.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 7, 2024

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love the duel with Akechi so much. It caught me off guard during my first playthrough and made me so much more invested in him as a character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

For a second, I thought he was actually just going to shoot you and kill you.

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 7, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

akechi sucks so bad lmao

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Maybe Maaku shouldn't be so harsh on Ryuji for talking about how much they're the phantom thieves, eh? At least most who hear him wouldn't believe him.

also lol Akechi. I wonder if you just get a standard game over if you somehow lose?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
on my first playthrough, this is where I began to suspect that Akechi had not been honest about his intentions

I don't think I'm very smart.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Drakenel posted:

Maybe Maaku shouldn't be so harsh on Ryuji for talking about how much they're the phantom thieves, eh? At least most who hear him wouldn't believe him.

also lol Akechi. I wonder if you just get a standard game over if you somehow lose?

I forgot to mention it, but if you lose it kicks you out and you have to try again another day. It eats the block of time.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Never mind all the time we've spent shooting pool or hanging out at the jazz club, or all the friendly banter we've had, I hate your guts.

Nah, if you hated me, you would have shot me the second you had me at gunpoint in Mementos.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

on my first playthrough, this is where I began to suspect that Akechi had not been honest about his intentions

I don't think I'm very smart.

This scene definitely dampened the surprise reveal for me. "Oh, wow, he could be the bad guy if he weren't in my party."

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Akechi beginning this duel by pulling out a silenced pistol while in a place where the locals can probably still hear the muffled gunshot is hilarious. The dude just cannot stop reinforcing the fact that he's a goober trying (and failing) to act cool.

Oh, and the fact that he just casually reveals to Joker that he owns a real authentic firearm and a silencer when almost no one else Joker has met neither owns nor even knows how to use a real firearm (Iwai excluded, obviously) is the icing on the cake. Good job at failing to conceal your identity, buddy.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
my favorite part of this scene is if you ask "really hate losing, don't you?" because he basically goes "yeah wow i had NO idea it was this bad" and he sounds completely genuine about it

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

You’ve caught up to me on this front already, too…

Game: HEY, AKECHI IS THE TRAITOR! DID YOU MISS THE FIRST FEW CLUES!? HERE IS ANOTHER ONE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Things like this are why I always say the spoiler isn't "Akechi is the traitor," it's "The PTs caught on to Akechi being the traitor on their own."