Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

How do I know exactly how much food she should have?

I don't have any advice, but commiseration because knowing how much is hard. We're also struggling with that question. It's very frustrating navigating the landscape created by dog food companies and pet marketing etc.

Our English Setter has the opposite problem maybe, in that he tends to be underweight. We feed him well over what the package says, but he's still very skinny. We've shelled out for pathogen and metabolism panels, but everything is coming back normal. Maybe really nothing is wrong, but it seems wild that he can eat 6 cups of food a day and still barely be above low 40 lbs. He's probably running 10 miles a day, so he's active, but still.

He also poops so dang much. Dog food is expensive and picking up 10 poops a day is a drag. We're thinking of trying to cook for him, but would like to figure out a strategy (calories per day, carbs/protein/fat ratio). Meeting with the vet again this week, but would welcome any internet thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The vet was frustrating, they kinda just shrugged. I know a vet isn't a nutritionist, but I thought they'd at least have a direction to check. I talked to some mushers. They gave some recommendations for dense kibbles. One also said "meat is the best, and will give them smaller shits" but of course we're not just gonna feed the dog steaks. Ah well, at least feeling a bit more knowledgeable