Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
The old thread forever ago use to have a dog food tier list, is that gone?

I use to feed my prior dogs blue buffalo but i havent had a dog in almost 4 years so I'm sure its changed.

Rescuing a mix puppy this weekend:

Was thinking about doing baby blue buffalo, grain free high protein chicken and pea. Thoughts?

Edit: I read the fda case about grain free and peas. But those numbers seem crazy low. Also when i was reading through ingredient lists it sesms peas are in almost everything.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Rabbi Tupac posted:

You will likely give your dog grain free dcm. Hope this helps.

Very helpful :one:

Everytime I read these studies or anything it doesn't seem like an actual 'likely give your dog dcm": https://thesciencedog.com/2022/04/0...es%20in%20dogs.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 9, 2022

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Hello thread!

I've got a 10 months old, old English bulldog who is adorable. However she's recently started getting a bit picky with her food and it's caused me to start doing a little research, including finding out that grain free is actually bad.. I had no idea.

My question is, is this food low enough in its percentage of legumes to be fine? I personally think it's a very low percentage but I have zero experience and have only just found out about this, so would appreciate any other input.

At the moment, we're trying to get her to eat 400g of that, along with 330g (I think it is) of wet food from the same company each day, spread over 2 meals.

According to their calculations, for her weight (33kg) she should be having 380g of dry and 530g wet per day.

However, the wet food is loving expensive and she's not even eating all of her food each meal anyway. She gets a good number of treats during the day, normally fried fish which is her favourite or other high meat content treats. Nothing over the top, she is a touch over weight currently which is another reason she's getting slightly less food. The idea is that we don't increase her food amount as she's growing, till she's the right weight. She's out for about an hour's walk each day on average and has play sessions etc too. She's not overly active or inactive for a bulldog. I think she has a good balance personally..

Anyway, yeah.. is this puppy dry food ok RE grains/legumes and should I be worried she's not eating everything even though it's less than she should be eating anyway according to the supplier?

https://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/for-dogs/puppy/chicken-and-salmon-dry-food-for-puppies-BDPDC.html#pos=3

Once she's finished growing and out of her puppy stage, were looking at moving her to a different food anyway, so while I'm here, it you'd be willing to have a look at that and give me your thoughts to, it would be much appreciated!

https://wolfworthy.co.uk/pages/wolfworthy-original-80-20-ingredients

What food are you currently feeding her?