Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've never had a picky dog before so am kind of at a loss.

My dog is a 1.5 year old 33lb Jindo that we've had since she was 4 months old. She had pneumonia and kennel cough when we got her (but is very healthy now), and the place we adopted her from had her on a raw-ish diet of Honest Kitchen's whole-grain stuff and some local frozen raw chicken for dogs, plus some added vitamins + probiotics.

Our vet recommended (and I preferred) switching to kibble instead of any raw food, both for the convenience, science behind it, and friends who are vets recommending kibble. But, our dog hates everything, and is not food motivated.

So far we have tried (at least):
- Several kinds of Royal Canin
- Hill's Science Diet
- Purina Pro Plan
- Eukanuba

We've tried a mix of wet and dry foods, just dry, just canned, making her do tricks for food, using food dispenser toys, only having food available for short amounts of time, and just about everything. We always do 2 weeks of transition time then at least 2 weeks of dedicated time on a food to see if she settles down with it.

She hates everything except the Honest Kitchen whole grain rehydrated food. She is the kind of dog that will spit out a treat if she is distracted by a squirrel, or excited in general. With Pro Plan, she'd just pick out the nuggets and barely graze everything else. Her weight is stable, and her vet is a little concerned that she is on the thin side, but she isn't losing weight so the vet isn't concerned about that.

Nonetheless, I'd prefer to have her on something more mainstream and less marketed at the raw/grainfree crowd, and would prefer a brand that did AAFCO testing instead of just formulation. Is there anything else we can try, or are missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Deceptive Thinker posted:

have you tried the honest kitchen clusters?

Yeah! We use those as her primary treats for training. She loves them. I'm afraid to move to those as the main thing as its the only thing we train her with but, that might be what happens.

Is their non-grainfree stuff blessed by the thread, more or less?