Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Unsane posted:

Anyone tried any of the commercial mail order raw cat food like smalls or Darwin's? My cats favorite is wellness chicken shreds. Problem is over the last year, the price has almost tripled to $3 a can. On top of that, they started making it in Thailand. That wouldn't bother me so much, but the cats of course refuse to eat it. So at $6 a day these raw foods aren't really anymore expensive. Just not sure about the whole mail order raw meat thing.

bit of a necro, sorry, but chiming in to say I had a good experience with Darwins, but it was years ago. My only big gripe with commercial raw was that if I missed a shipment (one was once misdelivered to a neighbor who stole it not knowing what it was) I had to crash my cats back on to wet food because getting a shipment replaced took forever.

Now, I do homemade raw. I do two methods: supermarket meat (usually chicken leg quarters and pork butt) which I debone by hand and grind using a kitchenaid mixer attachment and mix with EZ Complete, and 80/10/10 pheasant grind from purepheasant.com, which I mix with Alnutrin for meat and bone and additional fiber. (one of my cats is prone to constipation on higher percentages of bone) This is WAY cheaper than both Darwin's and premium wet food, gives me more control over their diet, and more flexibility with what I have on hand. The downside is of course prep time and extra effort for food safety, but I'm a chef, so I process things pretty quickly and cleanly.

I supplement with egg yolk and omega 3 oil, but that's not necessary. I do it because I have 2 longhaired cats who tend to get hairballs, and it seems to help.

If you really want to go all-in, you can save more money in the long term by buying a grinder that can handle chicken bone and just grinding whole bone-in cuts.

I make bone broth (without onion or garlic) from the bones, which I use both for human cooking and as a topper for the cat's food to add hydration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU