Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey just double checking, my 12 year old dog has been on acana grain free poultry (can’t remember the exact name right now) for 5+ years. She’s super athletic, happy, beautiful coat, barely any stomach issues since switching to it back then. I should just keep her on it right? I know about the issues, at least from when I read about them when the big blowback against grain free happened, but I also know if a food seems right for a dog you should probably stick to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How is Diamond Naturals dry dog food?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve got two dogs. One is a 13 year old pekingese/terrier/schnauzer mutt still super healthy doing great and an 18 week old working cocker spaniel. The older dog has been on Acana grain free poultry for years, always done great on it. The puppy is currently eating HIll’s science diet puppy food. Doing great on it as well with no issues. Eventually I’d like to have them on the same food when the puppy moves on from puppy food. My issues is that I really don’t want to go grain free/food with pulses for the new pup. I know the DCM risk is still being figured out but avoiding it entirely would be nice. I also wouldn’t mind moving the older dog away from it even though she’s been fine on it.

I’ve been researching my rear end off on foods and my brain/gut honestly steers me towards the standard vet recommended brands like Hill’s, Purina Pro Plan, Royal Canin and such. The WSAVA/AAFCO/etc backed foods. People will say it’s junk, just look at the ingredients, but that really doesn’t tell the whole story. It’s also really disingenuous that you hear how vets are paid to push those when it’s not quite the truth. I’ve also heard things like how the WSAVA only exists to lobby for their partners which… just is not true at all as far as I know. Plus the smaller more “natural” brands market their stuff like crazy and make deals with tons of businesses and influencers as well. The more I read the more i’m kind of realizing I’ve been pulled in by boutique pet food that sounds and looks good to me vs food that is ideal for dogs, if that makes sense. Not that Acana doesn’t seem like good quality food, but yeah. It’s all very tricky to navigate. I’m just wondering if you all could give me some input here. I know at the end of the day it’s going to boil down to everyone trying their best to make the right decision based on a very hard to navigate field. Thanks!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 8, 2023