Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just inherited a cat and we have instantly become bros. I want to spoil him terribly and give him as long of a healthy life as possible. At the moment he is eating freshpet chicken recipe and loving it.

I would like to continue feeding him fresh food. I was wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of the various fresh food delivery services for cats, like mom nom, cat person, or Darwin's. Anything I should know about feeding fresh food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

My aunt has a very old dog with a very sensitive digestive system. Currently she cooks poached chicken, rice, and mixes it with dog food to make sure it has more complete dog nutrition. Is there any sort of supplement mix that works well so she can add it to whatever she cooks that will make it dog food?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Look into Just Food For Dogs DIY. What she's doing isn't helping.

Apparently she can't handle the vegetable matter they put in the boojy dog foods, gives her the runs hardcore.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I've been feeding my cat nom nom fresh food because I love lighting money on fire. I was considering switching him to 50/50 dry and fresh food not for budget reasons, but so that I can leave for a weekend and set an auto feeder of dry food now and then without it being a huge disruption.

Is this a bad idea?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I just adopted a dog who is sweet, lovely, and very underweight. She also seems pretty picky with her food. At the moment she is eating taste of the wild Pacific stream, and seems to only like crunchy kibble. I will probably eventually try to get her on some kind of fresh food but at the moment I just want to shove calories into her because she needs to gain about 15 pounds.

She is not very food motivated and doesn't seem to "get" treats. How can I put some meat on her highly visible bones?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Unsane posted:

Anyone tried any of the commercial mail order raw cat food like smalls or Darwin's? My cats favorite is wellness chicken shreds. Problem is over the last year, the price has almost tripled to $3 a can. On top of that, they started making it in Thailand. That wouldn't bother me so much, but the cats of course refuse to eat it. So at $6 a day these raw foods aren't really anymore expensive. Just not sure about the whole mail order raw meat thing.

I've been using Darwin's for some time now and it's been great. You will need a lot of freezer space though as they have upped their minimum order. For my 10ish pound cat one package lasts two days, I just divide it up into quarters and feed him one twice a day. Mingus has never been shinier or healthier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

For what it's worth my mother feeds her dog cuts of beef with Brussels sprouts and whole eggs and she says after doing the math it's cheaper than premium dog food.

She buys whatever family sized cut of beef is on sale that week.