Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That said, the whole grain fee debacle led me to understand that there's actually very little regulation of cat food, and a lot of the grain free brands that are popping up are small operations that don't necessarily have the science knowledge backing them up to make decent food, so it's worth considering using the bigger brands as they actually formulate the food right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Applaws isn't a complete food and should just be a treat - even says it at the bottom of the box. Nood is really new and I haven't really looked into them but I'm always suspicious of the cool new hip cat food brands that have been popping up in Coles for the last year or two. Honestly I think sticking with a known brand like Iams or Fancy Feast (if you can stomach Nestle) is safer, I don't think there's a ton of regulation of cat food here.

ETA: Nood does at least mention working with vets/nutritionists and rigorously testing their food so that puts them a few steps above some of the other food brands that have been popping up

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 27, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL I printed out the giant list of best/good/acceptable foods in the previous version of this thread and wandered the aisles of the pet store trying to find something affordable that my cat would eat. She's a trash cat and the more expensive the food the less she seems to like it.

And now the thread is all gently caress it just get friskies or whatever it doesn't matter. :haw:

The old wisdom was "more meat is better", the new wisdom (as far as I've been able to figure out anyway) is cat food is very badly regulated so just about any old joe can make a trendy meat-filled grain-free holistic all-natural food but it won't necessarily have the right nutrients, so stick to something well-established unless you're really sure there's enough science and testing involved.