Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry if this has been covered; I skimmed the thread, but didn't see anything about this. It might just mean I'm in the wrong thread, though. Warning: bummer ahead.

Our pup Stanzie is 17½ and has been poorly for a while simply due to old age. She started to decline sharply this week. First she stopped eating her dry food, but wolfed down a plain omelette (two eggs, nothing more); then she would only nibble at an omelette; now she half-heartedly nibbles and then immediately spits it out. She's too weak to sit up or stand on her own, and seems so anxious about her positioning even when supported that she will not eat. We can only offer her food when she's laying on her side, which is always. We give her water by syringe on the side of her tongue, or she wouldn't drink at all. (As it turns out, she will lick CBD oil out of my hand, but not lap water.) She's in no pain as far as we can tell, and not mean or snappish. Just worn out.

We know this can't go on for much longer, but want to keep feeding and watering her as tolerated until her poor body finally gives out. Is there anything at all you can recommend for some easy-to-feed nutrition? Some kind of goop we can squirt onto her tongue like we do her water? That does seem to work. We'll gladly cook/formulate from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Beech Nut whole meat baby food. It's just meat and broth blended down.

Talk to your vet about your options. 17.5 is incredible. I'm dealing with two hospice cases at once myself. It could be simple dehydration or a surprisingly easy fix. Old dogs are often quick to drop but can pull themselves back up. A feeding tube may also be an option.
Thank you very much for this. The Kroger a half-mile down the road has both beef and chicken varieties, so we'll pick up a handful of jars this morning.

Even before she got quite this bad, we noticed she'd be a lot less willing and able to get up and around if she happened to miss a meal. The hope is that some food in her belly will be enough to fortify her out of this low point, at least a little. She tried to drink from her (raised metal) bowl today, but seems leery of bending down far enough to actually lap any up for fear of falling over and potentially onto the bowl. Maybe the food will help her there, too.

Hospice is exactly what this is. Best of luck with your two sweethearts, and thank you again.

e: She loved the beef--licked three-quarters of a jar out of my hand and even off the spoon. Thanks again.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 27, 2021