Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Grantaire posted:

I haven't been in this forum since it was PI, but I based my cat food choices on the pet food threads (Wellness Core Indoor dry) and now that one of my elderly kitties is starting to deal with some kidney disease I was hoping to mine your resources again. The vet is recommending Hill's or Royal Canin, which I'm not dismissing out of hand, but I remember vets explicitly saying Hill's at least pays clinics to promote them
Just for reference, nobody is like, getting a check from Royal Canin for promoting them. It'd be fair to argue that Hills and Royal Canin have the ear of veterinarians more so than other companies, due to their sponsoring of Continuing Education, the occasional food rep stopping by with lunch for the clinic, etc, but your veterinarian isn't meeting in a shady alley and getting paid to shill food they don't believe in. Vet clinics recommend those brands because we are familiar with them, and we've seen them work well for our patients, and frequently for our own animals.

I've got a dog on RC's hypoallergenic diet and one on Urinary SO and the foods have been absolute life changers for both of them. My allergy dog was a patient of ours who for 9 years came to us over and over for horrible skin infections, thick, reddened skin, oozing sores, constant ear infections. We would treat the infection, and try to convince the owner to switch to a hypoallergenic diet, and she never did, despite occasionally buying some. The owner passed away, I ended up adopting her, treating her infections (ear and skin) and putting her on RC HP. 2 years in, and she hasn't had a single flare up. Skin and coat are beautiful, no ear infections, and her weight is perfect. So when I recommend RC, there's no nefarious motives, just good experience.

That being said, any vet who is resistant to you doing your own research and looking at other options is being close minded. Those diets aren't magical, and if you do your research and choose a science-based option for your pet that works, awesome! It just bums me out to see people suspicious of their vet's motives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Boogalo posted:

My vet is definitely getting a check from royal canin considering they charge $20 more than chewy for the same bag of cat food. That said, getting on a proper prescription diet made a world of difference for my farty cat with IBS and a fish allergy.
Or, your vet doesn't buy in the same bulk as chewy and doesn't get the same discounts. Or your vet *does* overcharge on food and prescriptions in order to help with overhead costs, the same as any business might. (Your mechanic is not gonna be the cheapest place to buy parts, for example).