Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Wet food is better for your cat (mostly due to moisture) but is also expensive so you're not a bad person if you feed high quality dry food that your cat likes. If you feed dry, try to have a fountain since that'll help your idiot drink more.

My delicate princess with IBS needs prescription selective protein no fish at all food and wet for a month would be $300 so she gets dry and its only $60/mo.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Charles posted:

Asking someone where they live might be a good idea, if we have enough people in that area to recommend pet shops that carry good food. Here in Seattle it's pretty easy, but could be harder in Small Town, Iowa.

For anyone in the US, chewy.com is the champion. Orders over $50 ship free and they will fill prescription foods if you email them a picture of the script. They save me $20 a bag on my cats food and I just autoship it every 5 weeks for another couple% or so discount along with a refill of litter. You can also add whatever items you want to your next autoship as a one-time thing.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My vet is definitely getting a check from royal canin considering they charge $20 more than chewy for the same bag of cat food. That said, getting on a proper prescription diet made a world of difference for my farty cat with IBS and a fish allergy.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

After going through many different foods trying to find one that didn't give Milly the shits, we ended up on a single protein (zero fish as she's allergic) prescription diet which at $60 for a 5lb is expensive, i would never be able to afford the $300/month it would cost to keep her fed on the canned variety in addition to the first case of i tried i ended up throwing half of it out since the idiots wouldn't eat it. I still keep the wet around and put out a spoonfull daily as kindof a treat but they're otherwise free-fed the dry food and do great with that and their fountain.

At the end of the day feed your cat whatever the gently caress they'll eat, with an eye towards higher quality foods with low incidence of recalls. Higher quality dry foods might be expensive but they also tend to be more calorie dense so you feed less of it and it can come out to way less extra $$$ than you thought. Milly only needed 1/3-1/2 a cup of Acana while a cheap store brand needed 1.5cups+ per day for the same calories.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yeah, and most if not all of the grain free food issues I've seen were related to dogs and not cats.

My big takeaway from the grain free scare is all pet food and especially dog food was not sufficiently enriched with taurine. We already knew cats needed it since they can't synthesize it themselves, but dogs can, given sufficient other nutrients and that wasn't happening enough for good health, especially in larger breeds. Some cats did show heart issues so upping taurine in cat food a little will likely help as well.

But I am not a vet, just a cat butler.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If your cats are good weight and eat the food then you're doing fine, no reason to switch.

I'm not sure how the grain free issues in dog food carried over to including cats, but cat food is enriched with taurine already to avoid that problem. If anything, if it is an issue, i'd imagine slightly increasing the amount in formulations would take care of it, but being a grain free feeder, its not something I'm concerned about.

At the end of the day, feed your cat whatever they will reliably eat. I go for grain free with a low incidence of recalls and high calorie density so i'm feeding small amounts and don't have to store a ton. In some cheaper foods I'd be feeding 2 cups a day while pricier ones are 1/2 a cup or less so the costs even out pretty well too.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I have two cats, they're free fed. One is on a special diet and thus both are on the special diet and doing fine. It's expensive food but at least the cat that doesn't need it is tiny and doesn't eat much anyways.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Dry food is fine as long as they have a good water supply. Just check calorie content per volume to calculate how much to feed. The more expensive foods tend to be more calorie dense by a lot. You may need to slightly overfeed and gradually taper it down just so your cats won't want to murder you. Auto feeders are also good so they don't associate you with feeding time and bug the poo poo out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Bonito flakes probably best natural cat treat. Its just smoked, shaved fish. Human grade in bulk is fine and way cheaper than the lil tubs from the pet store. A pinch of it looks like a lot but is very little actual material.