Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I applied to adopt a cat from this rescue, and they asked what kind of food I feed my current babies.

I free feed dry food (Blue Buffalo) and give wet food (Sheba) twice a day.

They told me that dry food is bad for cats and can lead to kidney problems and urinary blockages, and I'll need to transition my cats to only wet food before they will allow me to adopt.

Has anyone heard of this before?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Here's the info they sent me.

Local Rescue posted:

Here is the nutrition information that will be a helpful starting point for education. I've attached a list of potential foods as well as and information sheet on the dangers of feeding an inappropriate diet of dry food. Please also note, fish flavored foods is not good for cats and should be avoided especially in male cats. If you have interest in raw, there are commercial brands available that are balanced, Stella & Chewy (Both raw and dehydrated options), Lotus, Small Batch, or you can purchase the raw meat from Home Page | Hare Today  and use proper and complete mixes from companies like Food Fur Life (Food Fur Life - EZ Homemade raw food for pets!) and Alnutrin (Know What You Feed - A Guide To A Balanced Homemade Cat Food)  to make it a complete and balanced diet for your cat.  These mixes are an important piece to making your own raw food.

Catfooddb.com rates the nutritional value of the brand and the foods they sell. Brands like Instinct, Nulo, Feline Natural and Ziwi peak have a higher rating compared to Wellness, blue buffalo and fancy feast

https://feline-nutrition.org/ - Explores the benefits of raw food

https://youtu.be/U4OIBGm5hHg - Goes into depth about the pet food company and the importance of a species appropriate diet. How vets and food companies make money off of cheap foods that cause harm to our pets.

https://catinfo.org/ - discusses a species appropriate diet and the dangers of dry food. *articles written by VETS*

Please also be cautious of over-vaccinating your pets. A strong suggestion to lower chances of Vaccine Associated Sarcoma caused by rabies vaccine is to request the Purevax rabies and only vaccinate every 3 years and do annual wellness exams each year. Please do thorough research.

Is this all ridiculous hype? I'm not sure what I should take from this.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
What about not giving cats fish or fish-flavored food? Is there any truth to that? It's really hard to sort out what's true and what's bs

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
My boys are obsessed with Temptations. Idk how good they are for them but they love them.

I also bought some of these that they like and it's 100% meat https://pierlesspets.com/collections/cat-treats/products/turkey-hearts

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
So I have a new kitten, she's 10 weeks old. The people who rescued her were feeding her kitten food - Royal Canin Mother & Babycat and Blue Freedom Indoor Kitten Grain-Free Chicken recipe. They said she ate a whole can every 3 hours.

I picked her up on Tuesday night, and when I tried to feed her, she barely ate. I assumed it was bc she was uncomfortable in the new setting and I left it for her overnight. She ate most of it. But over the past few days, she only eats like 1 can per day, spread out every 2-3 hours.

However! She seems to really like the food that I feed my adult cats (Fussie Cat).

Is she going to miss out on any important kitten nutrition if she eats what the cats are eating?

My gut tells me that it's more important that she eat and gain weight, rather than just nibbling on kitten food.

I tried mixing them together, but she still left the kitten food untouched.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Vet checkup yesterday - apparently both my male cats (~2 years old) are overweight and he said I should completely cut out giving them dry food.

My kitten (~10 months) pretty much ONLY likes the dry food and is at an acceptable weight.

Are there any actual health issues as a result of cats being overweight? (i.e. Looking for causation, not correlation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
My vet told me my cats are too fat and to stop feeding them dry food.

I used to free feed them dry food (Blue Buffalo Wilderness Indoor Chicken) and feed wet food 2x/day (Fussie cat or Sheba, they like both)

Now that I've removed the dry food, it seems like they're hungry ALL THE TIME.

My wet food budget has gone through the roof.

Now I'm thinking maybe I can reintroduce dry food on a feeding schedule (instead of free fed) but I'm worried about them scarfing it down and throwing up.

Any suggestions?