Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gangringo posted:

I just adopted a dog who is sweet, lovely, and very underweight. She also seems pretty picky with her food. At the moment she is eating taste of the wild Pacific stream, and seems to only like crunchy kibble. I will probably eventually try to get her on some kind of fresh food but at the moment I just want to shove calories into her because she needs to gain about 15 pounds.

She is not very food motivated and doesn't seem to "get" treats. How can I put some meat on her highly visible bones?

Does she like peanut butter? As many of us know, peanut butter has a million calories per very small portion. :(

PB also works nicely in a treat toy so it can keep her busy if you don’t have the same energy level that she does.

If you can get her interested in cheese, besides the calorie benefit, pilling will be a lot simpler in the future. Cream cheese or American cheese are really good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tamarillo posted:

There is a place on the diet landscape for physically larger kibble that gives the stomach stretch to encourage a feeling of fullness and aids with faecal bulk but doesn't have the calorie density to match. There's no harm in pooping that out. And we like poop because it expresses anal glands so you (we) don't have to.

My Lab-Border Collie has an allergy to chicken. He’s been on the lamb and rice dog food from Costco and he has trouble with his anal glands sometimes. Our newer Lab-Pit is also on that food and has had one instance of anal gland problems.

We’ve been supplementing both dogs with a little extra fiber via Citrucel tablets and we can continue that, but if anyone has a suggestion of a dog food with more fiber but no chicken I’m all ears.