Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
The thread title caught my eye.

I've been feeding my two cats exclusively Tiki Cat wet food for the past 10 years - since I adopted them as young'uns. This food does not contain grain. It also looks and smells like food. My cat food budget isn't small and I can't leave them alone for too long or use an autofeeder, but it's always felt worthwhile to me personally.

Could be luck, but it seems to have worked out well for them. They're healthy, they never overeat or crave excess food, and vets always praise their "ideal physique."

Why would I want to feed my cats grain? I'm pretty sure cats aren't really naturally meant to eat more than little bits of grain.

I looked at the attached study and it seems like it's mostly about dogs and certain ingredients?

quote:

FDA is investigating a potential dietary link between canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and dogs eating certain pet foods containing legumes like peas or lentils, other legume seeds (pulses), or potatoes as main ingredients
(...)
Additionally, most of the cases ate diets that appear to contain high concentrations/ratios of certain ingredients, such as peas, chickpeas, lentils and/or various types of potatoes. Some of these were labeled as “grain-free,” but grain-containing diets were also represented.

I always figured dogs eating grain (and carbs in general) made more sense than cats eating grain; dogs love to eat everything, my cats would never eat 90% of what I do :)

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
Yeah, they seem content. They love the tuna and mackeral-containing varieties the best, but they'll happily eat the chicken, salmon, crab and seabass based ones as long as it's not too many days in a row (rotation is key).

Rarely as a treat I will give them raw chicken liver, which they like, or some canned (human) tuna in oil, which they go absolutely crazy nuts for.

As far as I can tell from Googling around, Tiki Cat has never been recalled.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration
My always-been-svelte, picks-at-her-food cat somehow gained 2lbs this past year! She's not "overweight" according to the vet but 10.8->12.8lbs is a big and surprising gain! And obviously something to monitor. She's always been 10-11lbs since adulthood. Her brother (littermate) stayed the same this past year at ~13-13.5.

Historically, my two have never had weight issues (always "ideal" bodies) and don't overeat: leftover food in the bowl is not uncommon, and I've also generally given them extra when they ask for it since it's never been an issue, and usually just means they ran around the house a lot recently.

They are coming up on their 11th birthdays (hard to believe!) so maybe she's just slowing down, or was somehow more inclined to eat during the pandemic with me around all the time? They've been on Tiki Cat (wet-only) for the past decade.