Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey folks! I've been feeding my cat Crave dry food and Friskies wet, but want to upgrade her to something a little fancier. She's still at least the same weight or slightly higher since the last time we went to the vet (who recommended trying to reduce how much we feed her slightly), so I'm hoping improving the quality of her foods could also help, as well make her coat a little shinier like it remember being at some point earlier.

She seems to be taking ok to Weruva wet food, although she turned up her nose at Tiki Cat wet food last night and had an accident this morning, so I need to slow down the transition. I'm also looking into either Orijen/Science Diet for her dry food. Is it worth making these changes, or are any of the original more than fine? Also finding conflicting things about Orijen even from just a quick search in this thread, so not sure what the general sentiment there is.

Also if it's just better to reach out to the vet directly and get a list of recommended foods, I'll do just that and hold off on any making more dietary changes. Last I mentioned the brands I was using, there wasn't any explicit concern, but that was a while back.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

effika posted:

Any food listed with "complete" will be OK. Individual cats may do better on some things than others (e.g. our cat can't do xanthan gum) but if it calls itself a "complete" food it'll have all the nutrients needed. Basically don't worry about min-maxing your cat's food. Wet is usually better but dry is fine if they are good about drinking water. That's about it. If you notice they like a food and their coat seems nice and they have energy and their poops are good, keep up with it!

Be sure to transition slowly-- start at 25% new food and slowly increase it over a week or so. If you go too quickly, you can upset their digestive system (and sometimes need antibiotics and probiotics to reset it, if you're unlucky).

Frankly it seems better these days to look at what brands have a lot of recalls and problem reports and avoid those. Then find a brand that fits your budget and your cat's needs.

Thanks for this! I've been feeding her a mix of wet and dry every day (which our vet approved of) and thankfully she's always been pretty good about drinking water regularly.

As far as brands go, the wet food transition is going decently, but our cat is clearly LOVING the Orijen dry food. I gave some to her last night and refilled her automatic feeder today, and she's actively trying to break in to get some more of the orijen. While she usually prefers dry, I've never seen her go this crazy over a flavor/brand before, so it's nice to see her get this excited about her food!