Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Would love some more cat stuff in the OP; the cheap-wet-food vs good-dry-food bit was enlightening from the old thread.

Also don't forget feed and grain stores for specialty pet food. We have some local ones that are happy to order pet food since it is an agricultural product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Gaj posted:

So my cat seems to have a sensitive stomach. Shes been on Blue Buffalo food since may and so far shes been doing well, even though her poops dont seem to be ideal in that they seem a littel dried out aka constipated.
2 weeks ago she just stopped eating the BB, she would maybe eat 1/3or a 1/2 of what her usual intake would be, she acted fine regardless. After 4 days of this I switched to her old food, which she devours energetically. However it gives her a dirty butt, not diarrhea but its enough that I spot check her butt before bed because its just a dirty rear end in a top hat. Its Core Wellness brand, and as far as I can tell the only real difference between that and her BB is that it is grain free.

SO basically shes on a food she enjoys, keeps her healthy, but gives her a dirty butt. Is there anything to be gleaned from this, that she loves grain free food but it gives her a crusty butt? Is there any logic to rotating foods until I find one she 1) likes 2) gives her a clean butt?

Is it wet food? The Wellness wet food gave our cat loose stools after they changed the gelling agent to something more ~natural~ when people got scared of carageenan. We found her a wet food with carageenan and she's been fine since. Something about the cassia gum and/or xanthan gum wasn't working well for her.

When we compared ingredients those where the ones that stood out as being most different, and low and behold getting a food closet to the old formula worked fine. (We switched to Merrick Purrfect Bistro.)

Edit: will she eat pumpkin? That may be enough fiber to firm her up, if you mix that in with her food.

effika fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 30, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Awesome chart! Saving that for when we next have a healthy cat to feed. We have a chronic illness cat that currently weighs 10lbs, and is barely maintaining when fed like a 15lb. Good things she likes her food! :3:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have forgotten; he's just had urinary problems in the past, and the vet recommended a veterinary diet for them.

See if you can get a referral to a vet nutritionist. They exist, and can help you sort out the dilemma of corn gives him the shits/he needs urinary food and they're corn-filled. You may have to order in food, but at least the cat will be healthy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Merrick Purr-fect Bistro pate foods has updated their formula to get rid of carrageenan and add xanthan gum as a binder. There was no label change. I'm not exactly sure when they did the ingredient switch-- we had a big stockpile due to covid supply concerns-- but it seems to be spring 2022.

We were only alerted by our cat getting loose stools without any known cause. Back to trying to find wet food that's decent that's pate form that doesn't include the "healthy" binders she can't eat. :sigh:

effika fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 13, 2022

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Any food listed with "complete" will be OK. Individual cats may do better on some things than others (e.g. our cat can't do xanthan gum) but if it calls itself a "complete" food it'll have all the nutrients needed. Basically don't worry about min-maxing your cat's food. Wet is usually better but dry is fine if they are good about drinking water. That's about it. If you notice they like a food and their coat seems nice and they have energy and their poops are good, keep up with it!

Be sure to transition slowly-- start at 25% new food and slowly increase it over a week or so. If you go too quickly, you can upset their digestive system (and sometimes need antibiotics and probiotics to reset it, if you're unlucky).

Frankly it seems better these days to look at what brands have a lot of recalls and problem reports and avoid those. Then find a brand that fits your budget and your cat's needs.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
If they're used to food being swapped out, I see no reason not to do that if they don't get the runs from it. You may even try to get food that has several flavors in a line so the base ingredients don't change to much, just the proteins/flavorings.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

kaom posted:

We’re adopting two cats this Saturday. I’ve never had cats while my partner has but in the distant past, so we’re both brushing up on the latest and greatest in cat care. I feel pretty confident in everything I’ve researched except for nutrition - I don’t know what sources are trustworthy, and it seems like a lot of those in the OP stop short of giving actual recommendations. It’s also easy to find guides for kittens up to the 4 month mark, but I’ve been lost on what happens between there and adult cat.

My questions are pretty general but for context:

• The cats were born feral
  • Estimated about 4 months old when caught
  • Now about 7 months old
  • One is 2.7kg, the other 3.2kg
  • They’re being fed Hill’s at the shelter
  • In that environment they’re skittish about eating, but making good progress overall on human = friend (the bigger one actually fell asleep on me at our first meet & greet, the other is still quite shy)
  • They have a clean bill of health from the vet’s office (in the same building as the shelter), we’ll get all the records Saturday
  • I work from home and can spend significant time with them / dispense food frequently
  • Budget is “lol” (we left a lot of room for the eventual cats in case they had special needs)

We’re going to have to make some accommodations for their background, varying depending how they adjust to a home setting.

Okay, questions.

I’ve heard the recommendation with kittens is to let them have access to dry food at all times, does that advice apply up to a year old under ideal circumstances? I do see the table posted earlier has calculations for kittens for their daily calories, so I’m not sure how free feeding matches up with that, especially with two where it would be hard to know who ate how much.

Does anyone know a good source on expected growth milestones for kittens past the 4 month mark? We’re going to speak to a local vet also, but hoping that can wait at least a couple of weeks to build more trust with them first. We’ll go sooner if we notice any red flags, I’d just love a baseline to work against for monitoring their weight gain to make sure they’re on track.

I gather from this thread Hill’s is adequate but not ideal. Debating how quickly we could try to move them to something else, since they’ve spent the first half their life eating in the wild and the second half with something consistent. We should probably still make the transition gradual, over the course of a week or so?

For picking out new food, I get that GA = Guaranteed Analysis = the min % of protein, fat, fibre, and moisture. But I don’t get what the recommended overall intake actually is? Do we literally just rely on the food saying “complete” or “balanced” and ignore variations in % between brands as long as they have both of those things present? I have no idea how to figure out what we’re aiming for.

The amount of selection is totally overwhelming, and I’m in Canada so it’s less than in the US lol. I don’t really know how to pick, and I feel like this is one of the more important decisions we need to make to give them the best chance at healthy growth given their rough start.

Other people will give you more specific advice, but I want to tell you it's OK if your choice isn't perfect. They've made it this far eating whatever they can catch, so a nutritionally complete food provided regularly in a safe and calm environment is icing on the cake!

Wet is better than dry, if it fits your lifestyle/budget and they'll eat it. Other than that, look for something that's complete and that they'll eat. A lot of places won't outright say "eat Brand X food" because Brand X may have a recall or something, or your cat won't like it, etc. Set a couple of general guidelines and see what looks good from there. (E.g., going for meat instead of "meal" like some sources recommend.)

Leave the dry food out for free feeding and see how they do. You sound like you're home often enough to see if one hogs it all or they are scarf & barfers, or if they gently pick at it all day, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

drat Bananas posted:

I’m back, with a new vet… we went on metronidazole and some yellow antidiarrheal liquid I don’t remember the name of, it didn’t really help. Now we’re on probiotics and it’s about the same as it was on pumpkin. The vet wants to do more metronidazole (PLEASE no… she hates it so much and barely swallows much as it is…) and suspects a chicken allergy. But the foods I’ve seen are so expensive, and I want to feed both cats the same thing…

Does anyone know an affordable chicken-free cat food?

I know the Merrick Limited-Ingredient Salmon wet & dry food doesn't *list* it, but it does have "natural flavor" so who knows.

I used to have a dog that was allergic to chicken feathers, so I feel you on how hard it is to not have the most common cheap protein in a food.