Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The canon explanation should be easy. "Listen, these are the STLs we've got, okay? Back in the loving Golden Age, they had specialized ships for everything. They had loving destroyer-carriers, carrier-destroyers, carrier-destroyer-carriers, you fuckin name it, all right? But their destroyers didn't have fighter bays. They're not in the STL. And if it's not in the STL, Mechanicus won't let us build it. And the last we need is a bunch of loving Mechanicus accusing us of heresy, or worse yet, innovation. So no hangar bays for you. You don't like it, go talk to the loving Tau."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Madurai posted:

I still haven't heard a convincing explanation why the "only" 1km-long destroyers are too small to carry hangars for fighter squadrons.
They very well might, they just don't have enough to count as a significant fighter capability in game terms. One unit of launch bays in BFG represents significant carrier capability and the sensors and command & control to back it up. In say Eisenhorn you see a frigate (which has no launch bays in game terms) deploy a squadron of fighters to catch some shuttles. I'd generally expect most any ship to have utility craft and likely some fighters.

Similarly, see how many weapons this thing has. It's got all kinds of guns and turrets all over the place. But in game terms, what's represented is the primary, most significant armament.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How much of the detail on the outside of 40k imperial ships is ornamentation and how much is functional?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do like the idea of aquatic-based aliens creating their own spaceships full of water instead of air, but I don't think I've actually seen much really done with it.

Children Of Ruin has water filled ships crewed by uplifted octopuses, and it spends some time describing how much mass they have compared to a ship with an Earth-standard gaseous atmosphere.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do like the idea of aquatic-based aliens creating their own spaceships full of water instead of air, but I don't think I've actually seen much really done with it.

Star Trek was doing something weird with whales in one of the movies that it never really fully examined, much like how nothing ever really touched on the machine race that fostered V'ger or that one giant floating head. Trek actually did the most with the concept as part of the show Enterprise with the aquatic Xindi. They had a couple episodes.

The Star Trek novel "Probe" by Margaret Wander Bonanno* does a really interesting followup to the whole whale probe thing from Voyage Home. It's one of the novels I actually kept in dead-tree format and reread every so often.

* Kinda. She got hosed over by the publisher and the novel was given an uncredited rewrite. She disavows it these days but I still like the final product.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Liir ships from Sword of the Stars were also quite interesting mechanically, because they were incredibly heavy, but moved by micro-teleportation in combat so all that inertia only counted for some things, but not others. They had a unique combination of being extremely maneuverable, very low acceleration, and didn't get knocked about by kinetic weapons.

They were also prone to building cloaked virus bombers and deciding that you shooting Satan McHitler on the opposite side of the galaxy meant you were an irredeemable evil.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Bug Squash posted:

Liir ships from Sword of the Stars were also quite interesting mechanically, because they were incredibly heavy, but moved by micro-teleportation in combat so all that inertia only counted for some things, but not others. They had a unique combination of being extremely maneuverable, very low acceleration, and didn't get knocked about by kinetic weapons.

They were also prone to building cloaked virus bombers and deciding that you shooting Satan McHitler on the opposite side of the galaxy meant you were an irredeemable evil.

i liked to play as humans and fire enough node missiles at a planet that enough would get through to glass it, regardless of their defences

pity they hosed the sequel up so badly :sigh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The Star Trek novel "Probe" by Margaret Wander Bonanno* does a really interesting followup to the whole whale probe thing from Voyage Home. It's one of the novels I actually kept in dead-tree format and reread every so often.

* Kinda. She got hosed over by the publisher and the novel was given an uncredited rewrite. She disavows it these days but I still like the final product.

If you didn't know, she uploaded her original manuscript (Music of the Spheres) for people to read. She stopped distributing it publicly after she reconciled with Pocket Books because it would've caused problems but it's still around. There's a copy here if you'd like a gander.

I remember she was basically blacklisted from Pocket Books after kicking up a fuss over the Spheres/Probe rewrite in 1991, but then in 2002 or so she was talking about that on TrekBBS and the guy in charge of Pocket Books Trek at the time popped in to say that hey there'd been a complete turnover of people since then and he'd be happy to work with her.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 13, 2024

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MikeJF posted:

If you didn't know, she uploaded her original manuscript (Music of the Spheres) for people to read. She stopped distributing it publicly after she reconciled with Pocket Books because it would've caused problems but it's still around. There's a copy here if you'd like a gander.

I remember she was basically blacklisted from Pocket Books after kicking up a fuss over the Spheres/Probe rewrite in 1991, but then in 2002 or so she was talking about that on TrekBBS and the guy in charge of Pocket Books Trek at the time popped in to say that hey there'd been a complete turnover of people since then and he'd be happy to work with her.

I've read Music of the Spheres. I actually like the published Probe better, which is a shame because I really feel for her.

She wasn't the only Trek author at the time that happened to. At the time a series called "The Lost Years" set between the end of TOS and TMP was in the works, and the one book of those I read was "A Flag Full of Stars" which was much more of a disjointed mess as published. When I read about the Pocket rewrites thing that was mentioned and it suddenly made total sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I've read Music of the Spheres. I actually like the published Probe better, which is a shame because I really feel for her.

Fair enough, although to be fair to her I believe MotS never had the usual proper back-and-forth between author and editor and regular author-performed partial rewrites that books generally get that by and large smooths them out and ups the quality, so it's gonna be a bit rough.