Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Frieren standing up and Stark immediately jumping under the blanket with Fern :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

TwoPair posted:

She hasn't killed anyone, but it doesn't mean she's not ready to beat a motherfucker up.

She gonna beat em senseless

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Kevino07 posted:

Frieren standing up and Stark immediately jumping under the blanket with Fern :3:

Boy has like 2% body fat. Stark gets cold.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I'll go a bit against the grain and say that dumping 15 new characters at once, plus a couple of shadowy organizations that have always been there, just out of frame! feels very awkward. I guess the first class mage exam arch also started like that? I experienced that one through the anime.

Then again somebody mentioned Frieren seems to do the tropey shonen arcs well, with some nice twists thrown it. I almost dropped the exam arc because it felt like any other generic exam/tournament arc, butbthey pulled me back eventually.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Markovnikov posted:

I'll go a bit against the grain and say that dumping 15 new characters at once, plus a couple of shadowy organizations that have always been there, just out of frame! feels very awkward. I guess the first class mage exam arch also started like that? I experienced that one through the anime.

Then again somebody mentioned Frieren seems to do the tropey shonen arcs well, with some nice twists thrown it. I almost dropped the exam arc because it felt like any other generic exam/tournament arc, butbthey pulled me back eventually.

I agree it's awkward but the exam arc working out so well is why I have hope that they can pull that trick again. Then again perhaps doing it right once is perhaps not proof-positive you can keep on doing it.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

LostRook posted:

That's a surprising origin out of nowhere. So Frieren was part of the CIA...

I don't think there is an organization called the Holy Wand Court, I think over hundreds of years mages have told stories about being defeated by an elf with a Holy Wand symbol and they assumed they were different elves because of the time frame, but it was actually all just Frieren.

Reik fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 28, 2024

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Welp, viz region blocked all non anglo countries :v: guess it's off to shady aggregators I go

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
That one guy with his sick mother is still doing it I think

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1785906154473697790?s=19

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I guess it's time to oversee the production of the next season of Frieren anime. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Christ I hope so and it's nothing more serious

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:ohdear:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently a novel is being written so maybe that's why

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Y'know I think Frieren is one of the few comics I feel fine with going on hiatus. Growing up in the aughts and watching my favorite webcomics flicker out due to "hiatus's" make me dread the term, but this one is always back and recharged.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

i bet there's going to be a big cliffhanger next week

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Its gone on indefinite hiatus before right? I think it was a month and some change or a couple months?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Its gone on indefinite hiatus before right? I think it was a month and some change or a couple months?

IIRC, it went on hiatus a bit before the anime was announced and the hiatus ended right before the first episode dropped.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

i bet there's going to be a big cliffhanger next week

Frieren will find a room with a hundred treasure chests.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It will be a time skip to the modern day Frieren running a bookshop in Greece.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Yes I believe a few chapters after the Golden City arc , right after Frieren is sent back in time and the conclusion of the time arc.

Honestly only one of the hiatuses felt like a hiatus, the others ended so quickly I was a few chapters behind before I realized it was running again.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Jerkface posted:

Last year it went on hiatus for 2 months, came back for three chapters and then went back on hiatus for another 5 months.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This time it's going to be a 2 year hiatus where we find out later the mangaka was playing Idolmaster the entire time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

Y'know I think Frieren is one of the few comics I feel fine with going on hiatus. Growing up in the aughts and watching my favorite webcomics flicker out due to "hiatus's" make me dread the term, but this one is always back and recharged.

Yeah, the word hiatus freaks me out because of growing up reading webcomics because it might as well mean "canceled" there (oh, and seeing the pain of being a Hunter x Hunter fan...) but I'm getting used to seeing the word used appropriately.

It helps knowing that the author clearly has a plan... for at least this one arc, I'm sure

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
At least on this series the author has had good reasons to go on hiatus and comes back in a reasonable amount of time proportional to the cause. More manga should take breaks like this for the health of the staff.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah as I much rather an authors take their time rather then burn themselves out.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I totally agree with the above. At the same time, it would be nice if vague timeframes were given because, the manga industry being the way it is, it's also reasonable for fans to kinda worry when a series is prone to going on hiatus. More manga should go on planned breaks though. People like Oda are crazy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter, an ominous hiatus warning looms above us...

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Of course Sense's bed hair would be super messy, such a neat detail.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

new chapter, an ominous hiatus warning looms above us...

whomever has been translating these is horrible. This has to be MTL

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

VIZ makes the most recent few chapters available free:
https://www.viz.com/vizmanga/frieren-the-journeys-end-chapter-130/chapter/42681?action=read

I don't have anywhere near the language knowledge to compare the translation quality vs the original material, but the VIZ stuff tends to be more readable to me in English at least.

Downside is the image quality for the art is worse and there's some weird artifacting in how the pages are tiled in Firefox for me.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So, Denken and Gluck are getting involved too, huh? This arc is such a clusterfuck. Basically, all that remains at this point is some Great Demon appearing to say hi.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Quinton posted:

Downside is the image quality for the art is worse and there's some weird artifacting in how the pages are tiled in Firefox for me.

Jeez you aren't kidding about the art quality. It's loving awful on the Viz app.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I have to agree with Fern and Stark here, Frieren being awake, dressed, and ready for the day that early is an ominous sign indeed.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

the imperial mage captain phrase? has to be an elf, right?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fluffdaddy posted:

the imperial mage captain phrase? has to be an elf, right?

She’s in the chapter and doesn’t have pointed ears so

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

RatHat posted:

She’s in the chapter and doesn’t have pointed ears so

i think the translation threw me off with the time periods. Young her is the only one shown now that i look at the viz translation

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think Viz uses lower-quality art for its first appearance on the app and then goes back and replaces it with a final version whenever the volume comes out in print.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Quinton posted:

I have to agree with Fern and Stark here, Frieren being awake, dressed, and ready for the day that early is an ominous sign indeed.

Honestly, hell of a cliffhanger

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Quinton posted:

Indeed. The pieces are all in place for poo poo to truly start getting real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Quinton posted:

VIZ makes the most recent few chapters available free:
https://www.viz.com/vizmanga/frieren-the-journeys-end-chapter-130/chapter/42681?action=read

I don't have anywhere near the language knowledge to compare the translation quality vs the original material, but the VIZ stuff tends to be more readable to me in English at least.

Banned where I live lmao