Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
So which studios would people like to see adapt the series? I was thinking Kyoto Animation, Wit, Cloverworks, maybe bones, MAPPA, or Linden. Any of those would have a decent crack at doing the manga justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Oh good, I was worried it would be the team behind EX-ARM.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Ah, in that case Frieren & the mimic should tie for first.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Under the same circumstances, I'd be too in shock to say more than that, too.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Still nothing on which studio is doing the adaptation?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Fellis posted:

I’d watch it

Only if they did the entire series like they did Ep 8 of Pop Team Epic.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Toho just posted the first teaser for the series. MADHOUSE is animating it. Scheduled for Fall 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ZEiJyqDKU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
You'd think that the mimics would have developed a survival strategy by now. "Always have a small trinket or otherwise uninteresting object inside you, and if you see The Slayer, just make your insides into a real chest and let her find the thing. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ATTACK. You will just join those who have died to her already. Once she is safely gone, you can return to normal."

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Mmmmmmmmm.... pie....

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A little more information has been released regarding the program. There's new character design samples on the website, and three more of the voice cast have been announced:

Nobuhiko Okamoto as Himmel
Hiroki Touchi as Heiter
Yōji Ueda as Eisen

All three have long experience and have voiced characters in some memorable series.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

fizzy posted:

Who's voicing the mimics?

Rich Little

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The official Twitter account went over 85K followers.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Monday morning brings yet more tidbits:

https://frieren-anime.jp/news/230807_1/

The short form from ANN:

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End Anime Reveals Cast for Fern, Stark

Kana Ichinose plays Fern, Chiaki Kobayashi plays Stark in anime premiering on September 29

The official website for the television anime of Kanehito Yamada and Tsukasa Abe's Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (Sōsō no Frieren) manga revealed two additional cast members on Monday. Kana Ichinose will voice the character Fern, and Chiaki Kobayashi will voice the character Stark. Both characters will go on a journey together with Frieren.
---------

Among Ms. Ichinose's past performances is Suletta Mercury from G-Witch, soooo... Ferna forgetta??? :3:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
With a month left to go, another trailer has dropped, and I couldn't be happier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRFipdwvjkQ

In addition to giving us a little bit of Fern & Stark, it has the opening and closing themes for the series, and they already sound like classics:

OP: "Hero" by YOASOBI
ED: "Anytime Anywhere" by milet

I'm scared I'll overhype myself, but everything I keep seeing and hearing makes me want to dance like a monkey.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 31, 2023

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
And "The Blessing" is one of mine, so I'm delighted.

Mordja posted:

Oh so they are getting to the demons then.

Absolutely. The premiere looks like it will, at least, cover when Fern joins with Frieren after Heiter dies so a full series is easily going to address the first couple of encounters with them.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Stallion of the Cinnabon.:anime:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That mimic plushie is going to sell out first, I just know it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Seven days... :dance:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A couple more tidbits were posted this week, specifically the voices for two more characters.

Atsuko Tanaka as Flamme, Frieren's mentor and a great mage known in history as a hero.

and

Hiroki Yasumoto as Qual, a demon known as the "Elder Sage of Corruption"

A brief look at Ms. Tanaka's resume shows a long history in both anime & video games, including Major Motoko Kusanagi from "Ghost In The Shell" and the voice of Bayonetta. So Bayonetta (Tanaka) taught Anya (Frieren - Atsumi Tanezaki) to be a mage, which she then passes on to Suletta Mercury (Fern - Kana Ichinose). Somebody draw that up on a fan site somewhere without explanation and see who gets confused. :ssh:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
And a new chapter just dropped: Chapter 113

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A fantastic start to the series. Can't wait for more.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Coulda been worse.

Coulda been Bob.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Took her 80 years to finally find one.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Maybe her nightmare is where all those onions on the first page come from.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Probably when he turns 70.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It's still a test of audacity and visualization, since any mages lacking confidence (or a plan) would probably just break the vial on seeing Sense's clone (let along Frieren's, if they knew who she was and what she was capable of).
Oh, after the first test the rest of the candidates had to have figured out that elf was WAY more formidable than anyone first thought. Yeah, if I saw a clone of the mage that popped the supposedly unbreakable barrier in the last test like a cheap Christmas ornament coming after me, I'd smash that jar in a second.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Great, now I have an image of Frieren collecting Frog Tanks.

Actually, that's kinda cool.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
All that BS back at the First Class Mage exam, and now she wants them to protect her?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Supremezero posted:

... but will it be about ya boi, THE HERO OF THE SOUTH?

If so, it'll probably about how he ended up one of Aura's victims. :laugh:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I bring this up here because I don't want to cause any spoilers over on the anime thread, but I've been watching some reaction videos to the latest episode and every one of them is going "Well obviously Frieren will pass. But what about Fern?"

:q:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A common refrain I'm hearing from anime only discussions is that "Serie's right! She's just making sure dangerous magic is kept out of the wrong hands!"

Ubel: <walks in>
Serie: Pass
Ubel: <walks out>

:downsbravo:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Serie: Next
Methode: :lovebird:
Serie: Oh, FFS... pass

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Ah well. At least Ubel has the appropriate skillset to get them out of this mess as discreetly as possible.
Just going to have to call in the cleaner.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Squidster posted:

I'm going to vote for the comedy option, and predict that Kraft is Series' good-for-nothing son. She disowned him after he showed zero interest in magic.

Look, if going for a comedy option, the best one is "He's my ex. We broke up after I had a kid that I left at an elf village that the Demon King eventually wiped out. Wonder what happened to her..." :tinfoil:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I don't think they will. El Dorado doesn't start until Chapter 81 and runs until 104. It's almost a cour's worth of episodes on it's own. But there's not quite enough chapters between the end of the series and chapter 80, so maybe they could add in the stories from the spin-off anthology the did last year and save El Dorado until after that. Otherwise we'd be waiting for it to be adapted through to 104, and that would take a lot longer to complete, and leave very little afterwards to work with.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering about that myself too. The entire arc is, what, 24 chapters?

25, Chapters 80 through 104.

We may get some details on future plans today. Anime Japan is taking place right now, and there's TOHO panel on Frieren at 8 PM PDT being broadcast live on YouTube. Be a great place to make an announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Sense gonna throw hands. Hairs. Whatever. The panel with her and her hair spoiling for a fight was hilarious.