Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

There’s an upcoming Fallout RPG from Modiphius some time soon, but you can’t find information about it on their website. Previous articles said it would be implementing both the SPECIAL system and 2d20, so it will he interesting to see how well things bolt together.

Modiphius is also producing a Fallout rpg that interacts with their skirmish miniatures game that is NOT 2d20, and doesn’t seem to serve a purpose, given that they’re also developing a full, different rule set. I feel like it’s just gonna muddy the waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

you say the whole thing, like "A Tribe Called Quest."

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Keep the captain on the ship, let them assist appropriate rolls. You can make them more interactive, but it’s absolutely not necessary. Captains aren’t on away teams.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I grabbed the fallout starter set to see what I thought of the rules and drat, it feels like Modiphius rushed this thing out. The rule book is copy/pasted from the main rules, which is fine… until you get to a rule that hasn’t been included in the book. It says “as listed below,” but then there’s nothing. In fact it’s the last page in the book, so there isn’t a “below.”

The page references are incorrect and the copy editing seems like it wasn’t done at all. The perks included mirror Fallout 4, which is to say they’d be fine if you had a computer keeping track of all the crunch. But of course you don’t; so… yuck.

I’ve heard the main rule book is worse.

I like the 2d20 system, but this feels like it should have spent more time in the oven.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s frustrating with the Fallout one because someone clearly cared about this game somewhere along the way… then they found out they only licensed Fallout 4 and had to stick all the awful baggage into a pen and paper RPG.

The written adventure in the starter set is actually pretty good, with compelling characters and good pacing. You can interact with NPCs and recruit them, and it’s written with a knowledge that the players won’t do everything on rails. It gives you options on how to handle common responses to the scenarios and how to compel the characters without forcing them.

Personally I just wanted a non-specific fallout, not an advertisement for Fallout 4: You Must Play This Before GMing. The inclusion of perks nobody would take (stuff like using less ammo, which implies tracking every bullet) really cemented the idea that Marketing came in and told the writers that they need to include as much FO4 as possible, to the detriment of playability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, like everyone else I packed the absolute maximum amount of stuff into my butt in every fallout game, but that type of optimization stuff is not fun in pen and paper