Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mellonbread posted:

Reading the Dune 2D20 now.

They pull in a bunch of lore from the Brian Herbert books for the setting. Which is straight up blasphemy, but I can understand why they did it. The canonical six novels are pretty confined in scope and don't give a ton of playable detail on the broader setting. If you want to get to RPG sourcebook levels of detail, you have to either draw in some of the non canonical books, or just start making poo poo up.

When it comes to non canonical Dune books, I personally like the Dune Encyclopedia better. But I can understand why the Herbert estate would prefer that the game reference books that still make them money, rather than an out of print book by a dead guy.

Yeah, I just picked it up today too. I've read the first three Herbert books and am currently working my way through God Emperor, and the backstory in the Modiphius book is my first exposure to the absolute bullshit Brian Herbert and KJA seem to have come up with :wtc:

Haven't gotten to the mechanics yet but the little one-page demo of play was basically just "this is Star Trek Adventures", so I guess I'll be right at home with the system.

Thinking about running the included intro adventure as a one-shot via PbP or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What the hell, why not. I put up a PbP recruitment post to try out Dune: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964564

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jim Johnson (the product manager) is also very responsive if you want to email him with specific questions as well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

They just announced a week or two ago that two new books are coming (and IIRC PDF's are available immediately), one a Player's Guide and one a Gamemaster's Guide. So maybe give that a look?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Eyeballing it, I think the the only stuff it's missing are Gamma, Delta, the second adventure compendium, and the Shackleton campaign guide.

It's a hell of a deal.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mellonbread posted:

In the rules, a friendly NPC can be an asset (mechanical tool that you use in conflicts and skill tests) and a supporting character (statted NPC that you bring with you on your adventures, and even play as).

I feel like this is probably because the player shouldn't have used both an Asset and a Supporting Character slot on the same NPC, or they misunderstood the difference. It's gonna be one or the other.

Also, Supporting Character in STA is basically just a stand-in for a player character that can't be in a scene for a particular reason. It's been a good while since I've read through the Dune rules but I assume it works similarly there -- the character should probably be one or the other: an off-screen asset or occasional NPC guest in scenes involving the main character, or a supporting character that is a member of the party but that doesn't necessarily get tapped into for conflicts/skill test bonuses in the way that an asset would.

Or, I mean, it's probably perfectly valid to say that the character can be both if the player explicitly wants that to be the case, in which case it's not really a hindrance since it's in service of the narrative.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm not really sure what they expect people to create with this, honestly. It seems to come down hard on any content that would apply for their RPGs based around licensed IP (specifically Star Trek I guess because CBS is so litigious), the thing is literally *all* of their RPGs are based on licensed IP. John Carter is public domain I think, but pretty sure nobody plays it, and the Conan RPG has been sunsetted.

Or do they just want people to take their 2d20 system and make entire heartbreaker homebrew games out of them, not necessarily 3PP for existing stuff?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

CitizenKeen posted:

[*]They've been pretty vocal that they expect/want people to make stuff for/using/as their IP based games with the serial numbers filed off. Want to make a game about optimistic space science and diplomacy using the exact same rules as Star Trek Adventures? Knock yourself out. Want to make an adventure for this game (or any other compatible game <wink wink>) about a warrior species obsessed with honor who fly in cloaked ships, and the pregenerated characters for this adventure are a plucky, womanizing captain, a logic-obsessed first officer, and a grumpy doctor? Sounds great!

This was the sticking point for me, but it looks like they've revised some of the language in their announcement. I distinctly remember an early version of their FAQ that had a much longer version of this current text:

quote:

What can’t I use in my 2d20 World Builders product?

You may not use any material that infringes on copyright held by someone else.

The earlier version of this included another qualifier that was something along the lines of "...or material that could be reasonably assumed to infringe on copyright held by someone else." Which for me meant filing the serial numbers off wouldn't be good enough.

But nevermind, this doesn't seem to be an issue! My opinion has changed a bit then. 2d20 is a great system and I'm excited to see if someone could churn out Generic-rear end Fantasy 2d20 or Pretty Much Traveller 2d20 with some degree of success.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 17, 2023

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

CitizenKeen posted:

Publishing a rough first draft is kind of Modiphius's modus operandi.

God I know. I put off buying the physical STA books for like 2 years after the game came out because the first PDF versions were borderline unreadable for all the errors.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mellonbread posted:

Nevermind, god drat

Were you using the right website for your region? They have separate domains for US and EU.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

CitizenKeen posted:

Going to need a third Kallax cube.

I had no idea the Infinity RPG was popular enough to warrant all of those splatbooks :stare:

Gonna finish out my STA collection this year at some point... still need to pick up Utopia Planitia, Shackleton Expanse, the two adventure books, and the Disco guide (meh).

How is Dune doing for them anyway? I only have the core book and have been meaning to check back into things, especially now with the Landsraad book, but I feel like my chances of finding a live group to play a Dune game are really low.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Navigating CBS's weird licensing and approval structure really limits them, I feel like. Jim Johnson (the project lead for STA at Modiphius) at a couple points over the years posted that CBS has to approve pretty much every single thing they do, and when they disapprove they won't always say why.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just play a Barbarian/Rogue in D&D? The Conan 2d20 game was great, but I don't think it did so well anyone will be paying for the license anytime soon.

Isn't Conan in the public domain now? I'm not sure how all of that works. Same with John Carter.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

gradenko_2000 posted:

in this case, Bailey's PER is 6 and their Survival is 2, so add that together and you get 8, so when a d20 is rolled, an 8 or less is a success, and since the difficulty is 1, then at least one out of the two d20s need to roll an 8 or less, to get a success [assuming no Action Points are used]. If both d20s rolled an 8 or less, then Bailey also earns one Action Point, for getting a success in excess of the difficulty.

more broadly, the GM only ever sets the difficulty, as in the number of d20s that need to be successes, while the target number is a function of the character's attribute + skill, and the GM isn't involved in setting that number. As the character gets better, their skill/attribute increases, which means the target number increases, which means the probability of getting a success is higher, since you need to roll under the target number.

is that right?

I don't specifically have experience with Fallout's implementation of the engine, but in every other 2d20 game I've had experience with (STA, Dune), yes. You have it correct. The player's attributes/skills (each game uses different terminology but in the end they're all the same thing anyway) will always determine the TN, and the GM determines the number of Successes that need to be rolled (by setting the difficulty). If Fallout's like the other games, the GM and players also both have metacurrencies that allow them to tweak things further by granting additional successes, increasing or decreasing the difficulty of the roll, etc.

I don't think Fallout deviates from this formula since it's pretty core to the 2d20 experience, but hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 12, 2024

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Modiphius has always had atrocious editing. I assume they're aware of it and don't really care to invest in avoiding it in the future.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Leperflesh posted:

One thing that a number of RPG publishers have figured out over the year is that spending money on editing does not result in increased sales. Spending money on art and licensing does.

Yeah, on the other hand I've actively chosen not to buy physical editions of their stuff anymore because of it. At least not in the first print run (which most of books only get one of anyway I guess).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Leperflesh posted:

Let them know. I think this is the only thing that moves the needle: companies don't really know why a given product sells more or less if nobody tells them, and "I like your rules and your IP and this seems like a fun game but the copyediting is trash and so I'm not buying it" is valuable feedback.

In my IRL job we have a web portal and we have a feedback button and something like 0.002% of our visitors ever use it, so we get maybe two or three comments a month and two of them are useless. An actual coherent bit of feedback is something we always pay attention to. And that's a site that gets over 2M hits a year.

Oh I have, but I don't know that I've let the right people know. Jim Johnson, the line manager for Star Trek Adventures (at least he used to be, not sure anymore?), is really approachable and I've emailed him about it a time or two before over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Captain's Log is good as a base, yeah. The real meat of it is in breaking down how to build and run scenes -- for the rest of it, IMO if you're at all familiar with STA, just use that and graft Captain's Log onto it. As Doctor Zero said, character creation in Captain's Log is a bit :psyduck: and the random tables are written by someone who has no idea how a random table is supposed to work. A lot of the ship stats vary from their STA versions for reasons that I really can't understand at all... many are identical, some are not.

As a big fan of STA I found Captain's Log interesting but not super useful beyond helping to organize the actual gameplay part of solo gaming. For someone who doesn't have STA it's probably much better.

For a two-player game (one GM, one player) I'd say just go with straight-up STA. Depends on how old your daughter is though, if your intent is to sort of have a shared solo experience where you're both telling the story of the exact same character, then yeah, maybe sticking with Captain's Log will work better.